Alaska 2014

Farmer

As some of you may recall this trip is not a new idea. Check Alaska 2012, in the fly-in forums. Not wanting to just talk about our idea again we set about making plans and actually departed on Monday June 23 from RYN. When able, we will report some highlights durning the next few weeks. If we learn how we will post some pictures. The goal is safely fly most of Alaska from South to North East to West then turn back East and fly in to the annual EAA Airventure event in late July, then West again to RYN. Much depends on wife feeding credit card. Senior citizens just trying to have fun.

Duane my brother in 173LM a CTLS provided by Coppercity , thanks Eric, and myself in a CTLSi N413L. We are at Gross max 1320 at full tank departures. More on rifle, bear spray, sat phones MRE's etc, etc, etc, later.

June 23 short flight to VGT 328 N miles plus shopping early, smooth flight.

June 24 All day shopping and making preparation for Burning Man camping where we have tickets over Labor Day week, outside Reno.

June 25. Depart VGT to LMT to FHR with weather diversions about 942 plus N miles. One stop for Fuel and lunch. Total Hobbs more than 9 hours and thirty minutes. Some heavy rain and much 800 foot ceilings, some might call scud running, in hilly country most interesting After Portland nice ride into FHR. Thank you Darryl S for your great hospitality, during our overnight stay.

June 26 noon departure from FHR because of 100foot ceiling and less than a quarter mile VIS with fog. However a nice flight to PAKT 542 N miles, fuel and soda then on to Juneau. AK. Most of the day from 6500 to 8500 MSL. I do not now have words for the beauty of a clear day in this part of the state. Some time spent over inland passage where four cruise ships each day call on Juneau. Small ice berg calves falling from glaciers as we passed. More than 752 N miles

Thanks

Duane and farmer

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

June 27 Juneau to Skagway, about 66 minutes with circles over glacier. Dead end valley very narrow with hard right turn to final. The train ride in Skagway was a very nice four hour ride. We departed Skagway after 5:00 PM yesterday, stopped at PAGS for fuel at $8.90 per gallon, then on to Anchorage arriving before midnight. Total miles about 75 N to Skagway then about 75 n to PAGS then 488 N to PAMR. Last leg nearly five hours with 11 knot headwinds part of the way, still very bright light, VFR incredible views en-route. Took a little time to understand my new tent however Mosquitos stood by waiting. Tower controller closed at midnight then came out to help us find airport on field campground and tent instructions. Travis is a nice guy. Was a little tired, no dinner, good sleep, pleasant weather.

June 28. Sun up very early, Ace Fuel on field, good stop with three private room already booked, call ahead, courtesy car for breakfast. Few rentals with Enterprise quoting more than $200. per day plus insurance. We found A-1 rental near ANC. Outcome will be reported later but our rental is an old Dodge truck with 136077 miles and much experience at over $100. per day. Only room we could find is on Elmendorf military air base. Officer housing very nice as we settle in. Will post pictures we we can find high speed internet connection.

Check spot information posted earlier until CT4ME teaches us how to make part of our profile page.

Farmer

Been a little slow getting this on the forum but we have been busy morning to night.  So much to see and do.

This video is from Juneau to Skagway in bits and pieces and then Skagway to Gustavus the last minute or so.  Remember, only my second video but am ready for suggestions.  Lots of jellow at the end but could not get it out.

This video is from Juneau to Skagway in bits and pieces and then Skagway to Gustavus the last minute or so.  Remember, only my second video but am ready for suggestions.  Lots of jellow at the end but could not get it out.

No criticism, that is some good video.  Sometimes the jello just happens and can't be avoided.  Nice music, nice cuts, good stuff.

PPL w/ medical is required for this trip, even for overflight

Sunday Shopping, and most of day with visiting friends in Palmer some work checking aircraft for flight further north

Monday Whittier and Seward. Whittier is where the Alaska"s all weather port was developed during the war. It is a shared tunnel, only one lane wide more than 2.5 miles long. Motor traffic reverse direction travel each half hour. Trains use tunnel, taking their turns during the day. The train cars that are needed for Alaska are loaded on barges and transported from various ports mostly Seattle, Washington then through tunnel to points further North. Alaska,s ferry system also loads here. Seward is a port for cruise ships as well and the state exports coal from this deep water port here. Much wildlife, snow, breathtaking views in all directions. Have driven old truck more than 400 miles, loves gas, but we have become friends. We understand each other's shortcomings.

With luck we might make Fairbanks today, it is all about the weather.

Detailed records are being logged on comparison between CTLS and CTLSi, especially fuel on these long legs and will be reported soon.

Spot track all auto last two days.

Farmer,

Would love to hear a PIREP on how the CTs are performing in that environment.  Are they landing on any rough strips?

No rough strips and since I am using Copper City's 173LM, I report only smooth landings.

Will check out the coolant leak today Eric.  Lower clamp tightened 3/4 turn - upper 1/2.  Found your 50/50 dexcool.

The CT's perform flawlessly.  With the long legs, it is easy to fill up and go and have good reserve just in case.  The Chute takes the stress out of long wilderness flights and the Satphone, Resqlink, Spot, and airplane 406 beacan makes me think that there would be little down time in the wilderness before rescue.  I used to fly Search and Rescue in Alaska for the Coast Guard and I think the boys would have me home for dinner.

We both carry a full line of survival gear.  Rifle's, food, tents, sleeping bags, stove, bear spray etc.  With modern equipment like rifles weighing less than 4 pounds and tents and sleeping bags around 3 pounds, you can pack light but complete.

Good to know you guys are well equipped!  One thing I hate about SPOT... spotty coverage sometimes.  I don't think it's SPOT's fault, but sometimes the unit can be positioned poorly, covered, or the battery may get weak.  I've forgot to initiate tracking.  Right now, I noticed that after the guys left Galena (fuel), about 30 minutes north the tracking signal stopped.  Duane sent an OK, but Larry's hasn't moved for an hour.  And they are in the middle of Nowhere.  It looks like they are making a run for Point Barrow!  The Arctic Ocean!

**edit** after an hour with no tracking dots, it's working now... 'looks like an hour or so to Barrow!

PS.  the new SPOT Gen3 has a feature for automatic tracking.  You just turn it on, and it sends tracking signals whenever it senses you are moving.  Plus it saves battery power, so the batteries last twice as long, probably enough for a year(?) of use for the normal flier.

After we settle in I will elaborate Simple stated 40 miles out field went 300 feet and a mile for real. Special VFR in and all well, very cold wind for me. Still packing several hours fuel for alternate.

We are not in Kanas anymore!!

Farmer

Tim, I don't know if you are getting more enjoyment out of our trip or we are getting more enjoyment out of your posts.

Two flights today from Anchorage to Galena and then on to Point Barrow.  In both cases we landed with half a tank of gas just in case we needed to go elsewhere.

The terrain was breathtaking.  Pictures just don't do it justice but I will post a few anyhow.

The first in a longtime friend of mine in his living room.  He deals in Ivory and other things.  This Mammoth head came out of the Tundra in Northern Alaska.

The second is our fuel stop in Galena, AK in front of the main terminal that looks a lot like a shed complex.

post-648-0-79547700-1404276072_thumb.jpg

post-648-0-44855900-1404276512_thumb.jpg

The third is unusual rocks sticking up out of the tundra 100 miles south of Barrow.

post-648-0-84802600-1404276734_thumb.jpg

The next one is a great mosquito breeding ground that extends from Barrow to about 60 miles south.  Mostly frozen ground.

post-648-0-71354000-1404277042_thumb.jpg

The last one is 4000 ft mountains between Galena and Barrow.  Just miles and miles of streams and mountains.

post-648-0-65133700-1404276960_thumb.jpg

Archived