Alaska 2014

Farmer

OMG... after flying hours to Barrow... this is what the weather cam is showing, right as D&L approach Barrow....

FAA weather Cams for Barrow

**** edit **** 'Called Barrow Flight Service (on the field).  Duane and Larry landed safely 5 minutes ago.  Point Barrow!!!  Great flying guys!

Wow, I didn't know they were headed that far north.  I read once that Barrow has less than 30 days a year with temps *above*  0°F...

EDIT: I might have gotten my facts wrong, it might be less than 30 days of temps above *freezing*, which would of course be 32°F.  I can't remember which it is, but the latter sounds more correct.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I didn't know they were headed that far north.  I read once that Barrow has less than 30 days a year with temps *above*  0°F...

Did you really mean 0°F ? that's -17°C to the rest of the world!!!

I edited my port right before you wrote back...I think it's actually 30 days above *freezing* ( 0°C ).

Phew!!! -  still only 1 month in the year when you need to order some ice for your gin & tonic, gets you thinking about the way of life that people must follow

Phew!!! -  still only 1 month in the year when you need to order some ice for your gin & tonic, gets you thinking about the way of life that people must follow

Gin & Tonic...you can tell who the Brit is around here, that's pretty much the official drink of the British Empire.  

BTW, my favorite cocktail as well, but I'm about 75% English by ancestry.  :)

300 ceiling and one mile VIS, how do you do that at an airport you have never been to before?

Facts are:

It is daylight 24 hours a day so light not issue

The wind is 7/12 right down the runway

You are talking to someone on the ground FSS not controller

Your aircraft is functioning great and forty hours in air, in last week means your are comfortable with it

There are no other aircraft airborne other than your wingman, you are working together

Your runway comes right up to the ice/ water on what would a beach anywhere else

Your alternative is 178 N mile away and the weather is similar that day

You have not visited restroom for more than four hours, you have been sipping water and eating fruit en-route, all day

You have not called ahead for room

You have plenty of time to think this through even if you are very surprised at the moment

You declare coming in on special VFR conditions and continue

So what do we do? We hurry to area hoping for change, no luck there. We let down from 4500 feet and steer to ice beach. Find edge of fog bank a couple miles ahead and over ice and then water level at 50 to 100 feet AGL. Slow to 80 k and deploy 15 degree flaps, air is smooth. Steer 100 meters off shore and enter under fog bank. After a couple mile determine world is not coming to end right now. The Garmin is telling you where the runway extended centerline is, you start looking at homes along ice beach. You are now slow flying at 65 k and 75 feet over mostly water and ice and it feels ok, site picture Is familiar, good you practiced that! To soon a light tower from ILS shows up from there you bank right and lights begin to appear. Your wingman finds runway and declares victory that worry is over. Runway centerline is now visible, your time on final is mili-seconds as power comes off, more flaps, chirps of mains touching down. Must have been focused on that landing.

NOW WHERE IS THAT RESTROOM, no must tie down aircraft.

At least now it becomes an adventure.

Farmer

So you wanted to go to Barrow. Very nice visit of the entire town of about 4200 souls, including the cultural dance show. The DEW line site is currently in mothballs ready for next Cold War. Might not have to wait much longer. The oil right money drives the economy with about two of three ( the ration of native persons here ) people receiving big checks, up to $40000 per person in the family each year. They are not working. The outside folks are doing most work. Store clerk starts at $18 per hour, the fuel truck charges $75 to come over and add $9.00 fuel to your tank. Everyone very friendly.

We should not launch right now as weather is 1/4 mile and ceiling everywhere. Very nice new hotel at over $300 per night and I thinking pancakes.

Farmer

Thank for checking in with suggestions. VFR forecasted in 48 hours. We wait, en-route same conditions as here. Alaska Airlines just missed approach, only open alternative is Fairbanks 400 N away. We had planned on this possibility AirVenture still three weeks. Cannot even get commercial flight to Nome with little guys, nothing is flying. Nome is 500 miles and round trip about $700. Now on first name basis with FSS. Soon will be reporting on what we had for lunch.

Farmer

A very happy 4th of July to everyone.

Departure was 300 and one mile special VFR might have some video tomorrow.

We are home in Nome, expect to strike it rich any moment, will relay location of bank vault soon. Meanwhile fuel stop in Katzebue resulted in $8.00 per gallon (30 gallons for two aircraft) and a call out charge of $175.00 per aircraft. After tip it was only one call out charge. How is it that one is happy about a $175.00 charge, when it could have been two.

Nice flight over brooks range, mostly smooth, at Nome it is 1000 feet and six miles VIS. More friendly people everywhere, especially FSS staff.

Got to go, gold mines everywhere.

Farmer

Nice flying.  You know, if I watch the spot track and squint my eyes a bit while following on Google Earth, it's almost like being with you!  

It's Nome... I'll settle for nothing less than a picture with you guys and something from "Bering Sea Gold"... 

Nice flying.  You know, if I watch the spot track and squint my eyes a bit while following on Google Earth, it's almost like being with you!  

It's Nome... I'll settle for nothing less than a picture with you guys and something from "Bering Sea Gold"... 

Will do if we can.

I'd love to see a video of that!

Mr. Morden this one is for you.

The video is the takeoff from Barrow en route to Katzebue and Nome.  As you can see when taking the runway the visibility is good to the south but wedges down to the west.  The Gopro camera is set to narrow view and the lens view is somewhat obscured by fog and moisture so you can't see the true horizon and visibility but it gives you an idea of the flying conditions.  The land around there is flat, flat, flat! off the beach so there is nothing to run into.   

Mr. Morden this one is for you.

The video is the takeoff from Barrow en route to Katzebue and Nome.  As you can see when taking the runway the visibility is good to the south but wedges down to the west.  The Gopro camera is set to narrow view and the lens view is somewhat obscured by fog and moisture so you can't see the true horizon and visibility but it gives you an idea of the flying conditions.  The land around there is flat, flat, flat! off the beach so there is nothing to run into.   

Wow.  That misty/foggy clag you entered at the end of the runway would have started me puckering pretty good, it's clear you had to stay really low avoid getting really in it.  What was visibility, a half mile?  Less?  after you turned on course the light of higher ceilings up ahead is visible, but gosh those first few miles would be stressful.  Thanks for the video!

OK we have not struck it rich, yet. We also have not fallen in love with Nome, even with the gold, actually a nice place. We have looked around, with many friendly folks. Sort of an industrial town with mining machines everywhere, hundreds of past and active operations inland along every stream bed past and present. I think there is about 150 floating dredges of various shapes and sizes from canoe to heavy barges. I counted more than 40 floating along beaches yesterday, actively mining at one time. Locals are also catching fish along shore and near rivers mouth and in streams, lots of fish, mostly salmon

We are in simple words, broken down. Spot batteries are resting. The CTLSi will not crank the motor to start. Motor OK, starter OK battery OK wires OK, after many phone calls, texts, and tests we only know what is not at fault. Will continue and persevere , lots of people working on problem. Visited local car parts store for special tools, and test equipment several times today, becoming friends with Rick. Must keep sense of humor since cannot keep schedule. Certain we're are NOT in Kansas.

Farmer

Nome is a unique place with lots of wonderful residents. Most of whom wouldn't live anywhere else. But, not the best place to be broken down with an aircraft rarely seen there. Sorry about your delay but I have no doubt you will be on your way soon.

For those of you not on this trip, and without looking at maps or reference material, is Nome north or south of Fairbanks? No points for correct answer, just satisfaction on knowing you geography.

OK we have not struck it rich, yet. We also have not fallen in love with Nome, even with the gold, actually a nice place. We have looked around, with many friendly folks. Sort of an industrial town with mining machines everywhere, hundreds of past and active operations inland along every stream bed past and present. I think there is about 150 floating dredges of various shapes and sizes from canoe to heavy barges. I counted more than 40 floating along beaches yesterday, actively mining at one time. Locals are also catching fish along shore and near rivers mouth and in streams, lots of fish, mostly salmon

We are in simple words, broken down. Spot batteries are resting. The CTLSi will not crank the motor to start. Motor OK, starter OK battery OK wires OK, after many phone calls, texts, and tests we only know what is not at fault. Will continue and persevere , lots of people working on problem. Visited local car parts store for special tools, and test equipment several times today, becoming friends with Rick. Must keep sense of humor since cannot keep schedule. Certain we're are NOT in Kansas.

Farmer

Starter Relay or Master Relay?

Starter relay checks good, wires to start relay checks good. Starter fuse checks good. Starter checks good. Battery checks good. Key system, including ground to start relay when key in start position now suspect. Generator breaker that control start circuit must be checked, tomorrow new day.

Any suggestion will pursued

Farmer

Archived