Alaska 2014

Farmer

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*re-post*

'Was following our Alaska Adventurers as they flew South along the Coast again on the 28th.  Another day of OMG weather.  Here are some pics from just after they landed in Sitka. (note CTs bottom-right)

post-2-0-06015800-1406647542_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-97123500-1406647552_thumb.jpg

Good morning folks.  I see several posts from yesterday are missing.  I had replied to Mike's very well written account of flying the highway and flying around Fairbanks.  I will try to re post, I hope he will too.

Mike,  When we were in Barrow we had intended on going to Fairbanks but the day we departed Fairbanks was IFR and they ended up getting 25% of their monthly rainfall in just that one day. We went to Nome instead and that is where Larry's plane would not start.   His plane is working fine now by the way.  Even though we have been stuck in a couple places, we have learned much more about the local economy and local people than we would have otherwise.  For example, when in Nome, we were told we had to leave the hotel after a couple days because of overbooking during the summer month.  We ended up living with George - picture of George.  As you might surmise, he had many good stories about Nome and the people.  His 28 year old son lives with him and is active in gold mining every day.   Great trip even when broken down.

post-648-0-89811300-1406656099_thumb.jpg

Same thing in Unalakleet.  There was only one place to stay in town and that place only had 6 rooms and they were booked for the summer.  We ended up staying with some real nice folks from "Flying Wild Alaska".  They are running "Peace on Earth" restaurant. Picture to follow.  Incredible information not only on Unalakleet, but all the villages.  The Mrs, -Davida, was from Barrow where her parents still live and the Mr. - Brett, was one of the four principal movers and shakers of  Unalakleet. The son Nick, graduated with Ariel of Flying Wild Alaska fame. You can't plan on that kind of exposure on a trip.

post-648-0-19049200-1406656695_thumb.jpg

Should have another video to post this evening.

'Looks like the camera caught one of the CTs landing in Ketchikan! Bottom right.  Weax is still a beast.

Hey guys, don't all those brass balls affect weight and balance?

Tim,

Your very observant.  That was probably Larry in the picture.  I'm just off screen to the right.  That B-25 you see sitting there has been weathered in since Friday.  The time on the camera is the same as our landing.  Perhaps we should call you for a weather briefing the next time.

We have come to learn the law of "minus 0".  When the weather brief says 6000ft broken and 10 miles you just subtract the last zero and have actual arrival weather.  In this case 6000 is the same as 600ft and 10 converts to 1mile.  Just drop the last zero.

Another re=post. Why did you skip Rainy Pass and take the long way around thru Ptarmigan Pass? Suspect it must have been weather related. Rainy will really get the pucker factor going on a bad day. Lots of scrape aluminum in there.

We saw the Rainy pass short cut, but since primary GPS was taking a powder, and I pad was plotted for Ptarmingan we took longer route. It could have worked out ok. It is all first time for us, the best part is when we actually make it work. The other reason is we were trying to make this a trip CONSERVATIVE route and planning event. Some times plans of mice and men.......

Farmer

We saw the Rainy pass short cut, but since primary GPS was taking a powder, and I pad was plotted for Ptarmingan we took longer route. It could have worked out ok. It is all first time for us, the best part is when we actually make it work. The other reason is we were trying to make this a trip CONSERVATIVE route and planning event. Some times plans of mice and men.......

Farmer

Good choice, especially for the wx you had. Where Rainy will get you is going the outer way. Easy to make a wrong turn entering at the wrong place,  then it's too late.

Sorry your wx has been so poor. That piece from Whittier to Yakutat has exceptional mountain and glacier scenery. On a nice day Which actually do happen.

The Boys are on the march again... South down the Coast.  Here they are just 5 minutes before leaving Sitka... another "Alaska weather day"...

I have never gotten nervous about weather until I see your posts. I think that we are so focused on what we are doing and the best solutions we have no had time to worry. We are not pushed for any time table. FSS has been great with much local knowledge and pilot reports. Aircraft are moving, yes pilots much more experience than us of course. Today pretty good forecast to start, the problems were en-route, worst day yet for sure. We were at our limits I think. Aircraft are performing well, very capable, with some minor issues. Long range is a big plus because fuel is never an issue, even on 400 mile legs. About 90 miles out from PAKT, midway in the trip we were forced down to a couple hundred feet. What I would call very heavy rain and those pesky 40 winds in the channels, always on the nose. Some comfort with the ADS seeing another local aircraft right ahead, same speed, same 200 feet, same track. I was alway able to see the propeller and water below. With PAKT in sight at 600 feet and 10 miles AWOS was calling for 24k gusting to 35k not bad, nearly right down runway.

Tim your post have been much fun for us, now we sit and explore until weather clears. Motel 8 and a $67/day rental plus big Safeway store LIFE IS GOOD

Farmer. YES AN ACTUAL FARMER with a minor in piloting

'Looks like the camera caught one of the CTs landing in Ketchikan! Bottom right.  Weax is still a beast.

Hey guys, don't all those brass balls affect weight and balance?

I'm a little fuzzy on weight and balance - could you explain to me what that is?  Just kidding Eric.

The picture on the camera is pretty good.  That was the best weather for most of the flight. 

Really not so good today.  Some 45kt headwinds and low ceilings along part of the route.

The weather went right back down by 7 this evening.  Looking at the long range forecast, I suspect there will be a window of opportunity Thursday afternoon or Friday.  We are hoping for the High Pressure area to move down into the Gulf.  Meanwhile we shall explore Ketchikan.

The float planes are leaving the channel in front of the hotel about every 3 minutes all afternoon.  Lots of tourist, cruise ships, and airport arrivals. 

They were fishing from the bridge in town and catching salmon on a regular basis.  The influx of people seem to be centered around fishing.

"I'm a little fuzzy on weight and balance - could you explain to me what that is?  Just kidding Eric."

I thought they didn't worry about that in Alaska!  Throw in the moose, strap on the canoe and head out!

It's a CTLS Eric, could only accommodate a kayak not a canoe.

This video is from Yakatat to Sitka.  Yes Tim, the weather was going down in Sitka on arrival unlike the forcast.

FARMER HITS ICEBERG, EVERYONE SURVIVES.

Ok a little dramatic but true according to Dynon. About 50 miles before Yakutat last week I was flying a bit inland looking at glaciers and the gravel they push along. Maybe a couple hundred AGL when a glacier pool came into sight. As I begin to cross the pool around edge I notice a large white hazard at 12 o'clock. Dynon Slyview does a good job of warning you of towers, etc and I am updating each month. This hazard was a white pyramid, pointed at top and large, much taller than my 200 feet. I looked outside, good weather at that time, nothing in sight. Held heading and sure enough I flew in one side for a second or two and out other side. OK no problem, later after seeing more of the same I figured out that this is Dynons way of warning you icebergs in area. What fun and never going to happen in Hawaii.

Farmer

Life is very good today. I am posting from 9500 feet just now overflying Grand Coulee Dam at this moment. Not sure where Duane has planned tonight, Idaho I think. Mi-fi Verizon and I pad. Did I mention Kenny Rogers in the headset.

Happy Farmer

Not sure what the spot is doing but we ended up in Coeur D'Alene Idaho tonight, the 31st of July.

Long flight from Ketchikan, AK to Friday Harbor, WA.  Met Darryl Swenson and his wife again, got some gas, got a sandwich, and headed to Idaho.

The trip out of Alaska had clear skies but the weather brief said tailwind so we, as usual, had a 10kt headwind.  Larry landed with 12 gal and I with 6.  That Si does do better on fuel.

More later.

Ketchikan to Friday harbor direct was a five hour and twenty one minute flight mostly at 7500 feet. There is a couple of hours where you are in the mountain peaks on that route. No other aircraft until last one hundred miles and those were all low. That last hour you must talk with COMAX Terminal control. They were very professional, friendly, helpful. We were on a required flight plan open by FSS as they saw us depart and closed by us once back in USA. We filed as a flight of two, and Duane could always see my ADS out, equipped aircraft, even when only partial ADS coverage area. Our plan was to stay within three miles, but mostly much closer, however it feels as if you are flying by yourself with a safety person just in case. When full ADS, then I could see him as well. Alaska had partial coverage almost everywhere. Friday harbor is about 22 miles inside US and it gets very busy in that entire area, islands everywhere.

This is not the longest leg I have flown in at CT, that was about one hour longer, a couple years ago. However it is the longest required leg if not stopping in Canada for customs, and the shortest route to accomplish that action. Sure it takes planning but very possible and pleasant if, as we did, wait for good day. Avoid three cups of coffee just before departure, sip a little water and easy on the trail mix.

More facts as they are compiled.

Farmer

Here are a few pictures along the route.  Ketchikan has many tour boats on any given day, but on fridays they have 5 in town.  They always leave town by evening so they don't have to pay the city overnight fees.  I caught 4 of them as we left town.  The salmon are so plentiful the locals fish from the downtown bridge.  In the picture you can see they have 3 fish on at once.  The seals just upstream was besting them though. They were catching them at will.  The waterfall was at the end of the road in Sutters Cove.  Just had to throw that one in.  The mountain was between Ketchikan and Friday Harbor, WA.  The trip back to the states had clear skies but still a 10 kt headwind.  The picture of the CT's on the ramp is at Ketchikan overnight parking.  Fairly close to the channel.  The float planes and the ships use the same channel. Dolly's house is self explanatory.  Enjoy.post-648-0-92771800-1407040515_thumb.jpgpost-648-0-03310200-1407040557_thumb.jpgpost-648-0-97045000-1407040628_thumb.jpgpost-648-0-23185300-1407040659_thumb.jpgpost-648-0-54635700-1407040711_thumb.jpgpost-648-0-21336200-1407040766_thumb.jpg

I think that a few ongoing reports on information we have learned during this trip or just opinion will follow the next few days. We traveled from KCOE TO KVGT with an intermediate overnight at KEKO. That was a just under 5 hour leg to KEKO starting after 2:00 PM and then a three hour leg to Las Vegas arriving before noon today. That trip was mostly done 7500 to 9500 feet MSL. Little rough over Snake river but mostly no issue. When en-route density numbers are over 11000 feet best to avoid flying to close to the peaks.

I would like to speak to navigation apps and equipment. I found that Foreflight with the profile option on the I Pad the most used planning device. The images page of winds and Alaska weather were important to the trip. It was always on, in the right seat and charging at all times during flight as well as in the motel.

Garmin Pilot has some more useful features for area wide big picture view and was used everyday. It has the WAC Chart uploaded and up to date, most useful during the Canada overflight phase.

The 796 is excellent but I can think of some improvements in the flight planning area. XM Service did not go all the way up to arctic circle but when it was online it was always set to next station weather, etc. etc. Distance measurement on the touch screen is very good change from 696. Kenny Rodgers in headset helps as you weave through the mountain tops taller than you. No part of this trip ever dragged, every mile new, and nice. During some of the marginal weather, very busy, especially when low VIS, and altitude.

The Dynon Skyview system will be changed to touch as soon as practical. Dynon does better than anything else displaying the requirements around class B and C airspace. It also beats, for me, terrain awareness particularly planning at a distance. I like the Garmin terrain feature in 796, but Dynon would be my choice if I could only have one. Dynon does a better job on the TFR's as well, more info. It falls down on flight plan entering, guess I am spoiled from Foreflight drag the line around a high spot or other issue.

I am not an expert, don't even know an expert, but just spent better part of five week, using navigation equipment, hands on. It is most interesting when you are planning and flying in "every airport new" environment, with some marginal weather at times, trying to protect your own skin.

The afore mentioned opinions, from a senior citizen position, can be explained, but won't be defended as other than my observations.

Reports to follow. Aircraft performance and comparison.

Trip Numbers and costs.

Routes and why.

Others

Farmer

Sorry typos long day

Archived