Alaska 2014

Farmer

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moose triplets are pretty unusual. Hope mom teaches them to stay away from the train tracks. Happy to see you are having fun. It's raining steady here in Fairbanks.

Didn't know you were in Fairbanks John.  That's where we were headed when we encountered the starting problem.  Wanted to check out their campground.  Heard it was nice.

Why didn't you pile into the good airplane and fly together a while?  Not enough load left for essential gear if you do that?

We could have done that but its quite a distance to anywhere from Nome so full fuel rq'd and after you add in all the survival equipment necessary, we would have been overweight.

Didn't know you were in Fairbanks John.  That's where we were headed when we encountered the starting problem.  Wanted to check out their campground.  Heard it was nice.

It was nice last time I saw it several years ago. I'll check it out and report. Maybe by the time you get here the rain and wind will have stopped.

Duane,

Checked out the airport campground today. It is very nice and hardly being used. It's in the trees, firewood, bicycles and nice outhouses available. Secluded, one of the nicer ones I have seen.

Anchorage Merrill Field also has a decent camping area.

Trust you have your part, that it is what's needed to solve the problem and that you will be on your way soon.

Duane,

Checked out the airport campground today. It is very nice and hardly being used. It's in the trees, firewood, bicycles and nice outhouses available. Secluded, one of the nicer ones I have seen.

Anchorage Merrill Field also has a decent camping area.

Trust you have your part, that it is what's needed to solve the problem and that you will be on your way soon.

John,

We are fixed and leaving Nome today.  Presently looking for a destination.  Follow the spot.

Thanks for the camping info.  We will factor that in.

Can you get a picture of Ariel with 3LM?

Maybe we can later, both aircraft abandon in Unalalkeet. Weather stopped our progress, later in day good weather however aircraft seems to have failed the new switch. One flight a day to Anchorage and we were on it because both of the home owners ( no inns in town) that take in guest had gone up river fishing.

We did walk into Era's office and there was Jim and Ferno working the counter. Jim took time to gives us a weather briefing and best route, regular nice man. Ferno driving forklift and working freight counter. Actual real place, real people, same as TV show. Walk to aircraft and no go. Change fuse, no go, cut left hand made loud reference to aircraft heritage still no go. Buttoned up and walked to counter where Ferno, and helper sold us tickets on only flight. Dash 8 with about 40 seats 1 1/2 hours to Anchorage.

The issues seemed to have gotten worse. No clue, will need professional help at this point, and will remain in Anchorage for a few days awaiting plan. Having much fun in small bites, flight out of Nome beyond words.

More details later

This video shows unremarkable terrain around Nome and Unalakleet, AK. 

On Takeoff at Nome you can see one of the many gold dredges abandoned in the area. 

Just near the shore you can see a few gold dredges working, however, a storm had just passed and there were 40 or so that had run for cover the night before. Gold fever is alive and well in Nome. The last big building out of town is a really modern Hospital.

The gopro  didn't like filming into the sun but you get a pretty good look at the entire city of Nome on the edge of the Bearing Sea.

Flying into Unalakleet, there are a couple fishing boats by the airport and a few buildings for the town of 700.  The Sleep Inn has 6 rooms and they are booked solid.  That's all the published accommodations. Note the wind and white caps alongside the runway.  The town is pretty exposed.

Waiting until Wed for fly in support then back to Unalakleet for the fix, we hope.

If we can't pick up pace this will titled Alaska 2015. We are currently at Anchorage airport departure gate for Ravn Air a 121 operators with about 95 aircraft hoping to get to UNK later today. Flight currently delayed, only one flight each day. Anchorage is so full we are leaving the rental car with $clock running near airport. Same for our room $clock running, which we will miss tonight very much.

FD, and FD USA, and Lone Mountain are very involved and an A & P from LAS was headed this way with more parts, until his flight was delayed this AM in Portland. Now one additional day before he gets to UNK, if weather hold above minimums. We have purchased a tech tent. Not a high tech tent but rather a tent for the tech. Unless we make local friends before night i will be sleeping outside.

Additional problem is that neither our ATT or Verizon phone work in UNK so I had to sign up with CGI, buy a phone, and get a service so tech can reach, have contact with outside world. Sat phone have been working but low on minutes. Starting to plan ahead, I borrowed a 5 gallon bucket and checked it in so at least I will have something to sit on while watching Bering Sea shore break.

Have not even though of giving up, but I think wife has look at airline schedule for going home to Hawaii.

Sorry guys you can,t even think this up. Weather for tomorrow at UNK 500 and one mile.

Farmer

I've just been catching up on things.

You said the starter, wiring, battery, etc is ok. What about the solenoid?

Also, as for hand propping: I highly doubt it's possible on a 912 ULS because you won't generate enough energy for the CDI to function, but I am curious if that can be done on a CTLSi. You'll need to switch to emergency battery power to power the ECUs, but even still, would the ECUs even fire the plugs at such a low RPM?

Archived