Spring into action on reduced radius hose

I have experineced carb icing in 60F rainy flight.  Wasn't prepared to pull carb heat since I never had experienced it and all reports seemed to say Rotax isn't prone to carb icing.  Since my icing, I've read that others have had icing issues with Rotax in warm humid wx.  Be watchful for this condition.  Watch for subtle loss of power.  Be ready to add carb heat if you suspect this.  Pulling carb heat doesn't really degrade performance that much on CT's since this just introduces ambient engine compartment heat and not exhaust boosted heat.  On some CT's there is a coolant warmed "ring" on the air intake which warms the incoming air and this also doesn't degrade performance much.  Pulling carb heat is good to do at the first suspicion of icing on CT's, even if it turns out not to be present.

You are right. I readed a lot after that and seems carb icing can happen up to 20°C (hot day) if humidity is hight.

Experienced people told me to use carb heat after take off if conditions can produce ice.

I found an accident report from a plane similar to ours, rotax 912, descending in a hot day from 10000 feet to 3000, he didnt used the throttle during descent, when tried to accelerate, engine stopped and went to sea due to ice.(a boat picked them up safely, also the plane).

Archived