Looking for late '08-09 CTLS

AZAV8OR

In order to fit under the "LSA" specs, the CT was dumbed-down a bit.  In other countries, they allow features, like constant-speed props, that we can't have.  They also get to use -12 degree flaps for cruising, which could add a few extra knots.

That's a good question though... could it be sold into the US and flown?  Probably for sure if it was switched to E-LSA, and flown by a PP.

'Nice bird.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In order to fit under the "LSA" specs, the CT was dumbed-down a bit.  In other countries, they allow features, like constant-speed props, that we can't have.  They also get to use -12 degree flaps for cruising, which could add a few extra knots.

That's a good question though... could it be sold into the US and flown?  Probably for sure if it was switched to E-LSA, and flown by a PP.

'Nice bird.

'Nice bird.

I am commercial. Do you know how hard it is to switch to E LSA?

'Nice bird.

Looking at CFR 21.190 and 21.191 I don't see anyway to do it. It for sure can't be SLSA or ELSA, you might be able to do experimental exhibition.

Looking at CFR 21.190 and 21.191 I don't see anyway to do it. It for sure can't be SLSA or ELSA, you might be able to do experimental exhibition.

If the prop were changed to fixed or ground adjustable, and the flaps reset to only allow -6°, couldn't a DAR inspect it, certify it as conforming to the CTLS specs, and give it an S-LSA or at least E-LSA certificate?  It's not really different from importing one by the factory, as long as the non-conforming aspects were changed.

..... I'm hoping to actually put some money back in the bank......

Didn't think was possible in aviation.

Good luck in your search kevin.  When I was deciding what to buy it was down to either a cirrus or ctls for me. I always thought that Cirrus should have chosen the ct when it was looking to enter the LSA market pre-crash (remember those days?).    Strong simillarities.  Easy to see pilots going from ct to sr to ct again in their progression over their flying lives.     

Didn't think was possible in aviation.

Good luck in your search kevin.  When I was deciding what to buy it was down to either a cirrus or ctls for me. I always thought that Cirrus should have chosen the ct when it was looking to enter the LSA market pre-crash (remember those days?).    Strong simillarities.  Easy to see pilots going from ct to sr to ct again in their progression over their flying lives.     

I'm actually glad that Cirrus stayed out of the LSA market, given what happened to themn over the next few years. It might likley have the the straw that broke...

I'm actually glad that Cirrus stayed out of the LSA market, given what happened to themn over the next few years. It might likley have the the straw that broke...

I'm a little bummer, they were going to market a re-branded FK Lightplanes FK-14 Polaris as their LSA.  It looks pretty slick and I would have liked to see them more popular in the USA.

http://www.fk-lightplanes.com/aircraft.php?af=3&ln=2&pg=19

Though I've never caught a unicorn, I did manage to bank/invest a decent differential when I sold my Cirrus and bought my Sky Arrow.

So it IS possible.

yes, and imagine your savings if you had bought a bicycle instead, or had never bought the cirrus in the first place.

I BOUGHT AN AIRPLANE!

Pending the pre-buy inspection (with 90 hours and a fresh annual, should be a given!), I've adopted a new airplane. With luck, she'll be in my hangar in a week or so.

Meet N789CT (seller's description):

"A beautiful fully loaded 2012 CTLS with dual Dynon Skyview systems, Only 90+TT, Rotax 912ULS-2000 Hour TBO, Garmin 796 GPS / XM Weather, Terrain, Traffic , Satellite Radio. Garmin SL40 comm, Dynon Mode S Transponder, Trutrak CT Autopilot."

2728.photo-5.JPG

3465.photo-4.JPG

2308.photo-3.JPG

6574.photo-1.JPG

Congrats on the new plane kevin.  Looking forward to your cost of ownership comparison vs your cirrus a year from now. 

Paul,

That comparison will make me wonder why I took so long to recognize the massive drain on my flying fund!

:D

Sexy!  What's the empty weight?  I ask everybody, I'm curious about the CTLS weights as they seem to vary a lot.

Andy,

I just asked for the W&B. Will post when he sends it.

I did specify that I wanted the special helium tanks for the cargo area; that should lighten things a bit. ;)

Archived