Failed ignition modules

Jim

I've been following this topic with interest, partly because my airplane has vintage ignition modules and partly because as an engineer I'd like to know what's going on.

From what I've read, the modules don't fail in flight, they usually both fail at the same time, and new modules don't fail.  If they don't fail in flight, when do they fail?  I'm guessing either at engine start, or at engine shutdown.  Why would this be?  I'm guessing either some sort of inductive surge, or possibly the modules ending up in some type of parasitic SCR latchup.  Don't worry if you don't know what that means.  I'm also guessing that Rotax/Franz/Ducati or whoever makes the module knows about the problem and has fixed it in later modules.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kevin at CPS said the starting circuit on one fails, but you likely don't notice it since most ignitions switches have "BOTH" on for starting.

In my Sky Arrow, I may have noticed the failure of module 2 when it started not starting on IGN2 alone, as the BullyHawk wants. Still started when I switched IGN1 on, but now that one may have failed as well.

I think.

My aircraft is a very early 2005 CTSW.  The last few times that I went flying this summer, the engine was progressively more difficult to start.  A week ago, I couldn't get it to start at all.  The battery was replaced last summer.  It was attached to a new "Battery Tender" with temperature compensation essentially 24/7 since then.  After reading the Rotax "Soft Start" thread and a couple of related threads, I decided to try the "bag of ice" on the ignition modules as Roger Lee described in the "soft start" thread.  The engine started just fine after "chilling" the ignition modules for 30 minutes.  Thanks Roger!  

I don't think that "have ice...will fly..." is a very practical plan for the summer months.  So, it looks like I am joining those searching for new ignition modules.  Ouch!

My understanding was that the modules are fine if the engine is over 2200 RPM or so.  During cranking the RPM is much lower and the alternator isn't generating much voltage at all.

I had a post about my modules failing in 2009 (2006 CTSW), but I can't seem to find it anymore).  Anyway, the new modules did the trick.

My theory:  2005/6 was the early days of lead-free solder in the EU.  The soldering temperatures of the new formulations were not optimized in the early days.  Our company had to replace tens of thousands of circuit boards where components had popped off.  It's quite possible that a components had separated from it's circuit board and would only re-connect when ice was applied.

Always replace both since it probably won't start and that was your first clue you have a problem. You must have two standard or two soft start modules, you can't mix them.

Right, but I know it used to be something like $900 for one replacement module, or $900 for the soft start kit that included BOTH soft start modules.  Is that still the case?

If you order the standard modules they are about $1100 each. If you order a pair of soft start modules they are about $950 for the pair. Go figure.

So maybe I should pull my standard modules, sell them on eBay for $800 each, buy the soft start modules for $950, and pocket $650...   :D

Yes, but more like $950 or $990 from Lockwood and CPS respectively.

I have orders in to both - and both understand I'll cancel if the other comes through first.

The modules haven't come into CPS as planned on 8/18 and they're supposed to get back to me when they have a new date.

Have you had any luck with Lockwood?

Eddie -- you can save time:

CPS -- Called yesterday and spoke to a couple people.  They are going to call or email me once they have an updated date.

Lockwood - Called today and they don't have a date for when they will receive the back order.  Also mentioned there were none in the US

Leading Edge - Called today. Back ordered and will not arrive until at least the last week of September.

:(

I feel for you guys...there is nothing worse than sitting around waiting for parts to be able to fly.

Hopefully the weather in your areas sucks, so you are not missing much.   ;)

Unfortunately, the Dallas summer weather has been much cooler than prior years with a lot of great flying days. :-(

My downtime has been also compounded by an additional 3 weeks to get my D100 fixed as well.

I just think of all that $$$ I'm saving by not flying :-)

CPS called today and the ignition modules are at their distributor but CPS won't get the shipment until they have a full load which should be 7-10 days.  They tried to get them drop shipped to me but it was not possible.  Might be back in the air in 2 weeks!

Well, I just had Brenda from CPS call to tell me the modules were "12 to 16 weeks out".

But to maybe call in about 10 weeks to see if any came in (!). Lockwood has not gotten back to me yet.

I'm pretty easy going, but this is awfully disappointing. I'll be grounded for the rest of the summer and into the spring.

I've been loathe to say anything bad about ROTAX, but this kind of parts availability is unacceptable, and would have me taking it into consideration if ever buying another plane.

If anyone gets a line on where else one might get these modules, please let me know. Monday I may call my insurance company and either cancel my policy temporarily or put it into "not in motion" mode to save on premiums.

Archived