Sierra Nevada Research Labratory

Ed Cesnalis

I should say the FAAs interpretation of special rules for model aircraft (so it took effect immediately, although they are accepting comments after the fact).

"By definition, a model aircraft must be “flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft.” P.L. 112-95, section 336©(2).1 Based on the plain language of the statute, the FAA interprets this requirement to mean that: (1) the aircraft must be visible at all times to the operator; (2) that the operator must use his or her own natural vision (which includes vision corrected by standard eyeglasses or contact lenses) to observe the aircraft; and (3) people other than the operator may not be used in lieu of the operator for maintaining visual line of sight. Under the criteria above, visual line of sight would mean that the operator has an unobstructed view of the model aircraft."

You can fly the plane via video, but you must also be able to observe the aircraft with your own eyes. You could, for example, hook up the feed to a portable screen on a table. What you quoted doesn't say it must be flown, but rather it must be observed.

I believe the logic was that some cameras have a narrow FOV, and the operator would not have as great of situational awareness if they do not observe the aircraft with their own eyes.

Oh, by the way: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/lawsuits-challenge-faa-drone-model-aircraft-rules

• 1 month later...

Another local job.  Sometimes recreational flights just happen to provide useful info for work.  If I photograph a town with my flir camera in the right winter conditions I can tell which houses need attic insulation.

attachicon.gifWhitmoreJob.jpg

Great picture - how many times around before you got the aircraft shadow going up the road?

What a mess the FAA has made of this and it will get worse.

Yeah, the FAA has basically banned the ONLY way the military operates UAVs.  It will be interesting to see their justification on why military UAVs are operated this way yet nobody else can.  It's not like military UAVs have any greater situational awareness with their little 30° field-of-view screens operated from a trailer in the desert.  

This is probably one of the real reasons for ADS-B; to allow government drones to operate with greater awareness of surrounding aircraft. 

Archived