The oil route

Roger Lee

Hi there Roger,

I have studied that diagram and it shows the oil cooler seperate.

I have a friend with a Lambada and his oil cooler sticks out quite oddly. His oil temps are always in the late 80's, coolant and cht's are normal. He turns off his motor for gliding, restarts and temps are back in under a miniute.

Our oil pipe routing looks a bit odd from the cooler to the pump, and from the motor to the tank. What are your thoughts on this?

Regards

Bruce

The oil route it self can be almost anything depending on the plane it's in. Many kit builders buy the coolant and oil radiator seperate and mount them that way. I do believe they get a little better cooling that way verses the oil cooler behind the coolant. How much a difference I don't know. Space available for this setup is a big factor. It also depends on how the engine is or isn't exposed. Some Rotax engines are totally exposed and never have a cooling issue. Some like ours are tight cowled. So heat build up under the cowl is a bigger factor. We don't get rid of heat well. This is one reason I put header wrap on my exhaust pipes to help cut down that radiated heat. It does help. I flew all this summer and never saw over 230F for an oil temp. Now that said I also moved the clip on the carb needle down one notch to slightly richen the mixture to help in the cooling. That made a big difference. I will move it back when it gets cold here.

Done the header wrap, done the carb thing, done the pipe thing, fresh oil, just had it's 100hr by certified rotax repairman(with carb balance),done the rubber flap thing,both coolers clear of debris, Cht & egt's normal,coolant 175F, climb out at 500fpm,5500rpm, and oil 250F. Urrrgh! Once I get into the cruise the temp at 5200rpm will settle down to 200F to 230F.

Any sugestions Roger?

Regards

Bruce

Bruce,

Try reducing the max 5500 rpm at take off. We don't have a constant speed here in the states and we don't usually see 250F on take off either. Some here do see 230F-240F. Set the prop up to get 5500 rpm WOT. Then take off at that setting and you should get only 5000 rpm on take off. I think at 5500 rpm on take off you are just working the engine too hard for the amount of air flow exchange. Make sure you flatten the take off climb and use zero flaps.

p.s.

What's the pipe thing and rubber flaps?

The pipe thing-- was checking that no oil pipes had "kinks" restricting the flow, and the rubber flap thing was-- that the rubber attached to the cowl were in the right place optomising air flow through the coolers.

Will try 5000rpm and 0 flaps. Will let you know.

Bruce

Archived