2006 CTSW For Sale $62,500 IN ANNUAL RIGHT NOW

davidschorr

As long as the aircraft is COMPLETELY covered, storing it outside isn't too big of a deal. It will still feel the elements a bit, but proper covering will negate any water and ice issues.

The other part, is you need to run the engine at least once a month, or follow rotax instructions on long term engine preservation.

You can also just take the wings off and store it in your garage :P

Honestly, as long as you follow good storage practices and keep the entire thing covered, I don't think it will be an issue with the airplane being outside. Storing it on white concrete or grass would be best too, as it's considerably cooler than blacktop. I've seen a guy in a piper have to replace a tire because it got so hot, his tire deformed.

Also, I strongly suggest you not buy a plane if you can't afford a hangar. Something serious could go wrong with the plane and you won't be able to get it fixed.

Bear with me as I wax philosophical in cryptic fashion.

1) One can always come up with myriad reasons NOT to do things.

2) Life is short.

3) If we all made spreadsheets and calculated depreciation and opportunity costs and cost/benefit analyses, and did them honestly, I don't think anyone here could rationally justify airplane ownership.

4) That said, do what you feel is right.

5) And good luck!

The ability to legally sign off your own condition inspections for 16 hours of training if you own an ELSA and perform maintenance and sign off the condition inspection with 120 hours of training if you own an SLSA has considerable value to some people. Having the ability to sign off does not mean you have to do all the maintenance. If one is uncomfortable with anything one can always seek assistance, more training or even let another mechanic do the maintenance.

If the FAA relaxes the medical rules so that I can fly an instrument certificated or faster airplane, a retrac, constant speed prop, etc. where another machine is strongly indicated, I would be much more interested in an E-AB than a plane I had to take to an A&P and IA. I'm pretty old to be getting my A&P. Even if it took me two years to build an E-AB and I could get an A&P in that time, I'd still prefer to own the plane I wanted rather than be stuck with all the ADs of the old aluminum craft.

Archived