CTSW compared to CTLS

Al Downs

The SW gear is more fragile than the LS. Also, the shorter boom means you need to travel the stick slightly more for pitch maneuvering. The LS has a little more cockpit space. The SW is lighter, and thusly performs better with the same loadout vs an LS.

Other than that though, they are pretty much the same. We're wanting to get an SW to let people who trained in the LS use it to travel with.

I have instructed many hours in each and have had one of each in my flight school.  I put over 600 hours in our SW before trading up to the LS and now have over 1500hrs in the LS.  Students seem to find the LS a little easier to fly, it requires a bit less rudder work and a little less pitch sensitive in the round out.  The LS also has a more durable landing gear for student abuse.  The SW can hold up to training with the right mix of instructors that have a good handle on the CT. If you have a lot of CT inexperienced instructors I would stick with an LS.

Is the SW harder to learn to fly for students? I have a LS and several students have trained in it. Now I am considering an additional plane but don't want to spend what it takes to get  another LS.

I am not a light sport CFI.

I trained in a CTLS before I bought my CTSW.

I was told by a very reputable source that if you train in one, it is good for the other, either way you go.  I found that to be correct.

I personally don't think it would be harder to learn to fly the CTSW.

There are subtle differences in flying the two models.

In general terms, I have found that the CTSW is a little less stable in the lateral (pitch) axis.  That is more apparent during landings.

Additionally, I think the the CTSW requires a little more attention to rudder trim.  When I am hand flying the CTSW, it requires more effort (cross check and pedal input) to keep the airplane flying in trim.

That said, as with the CTLS, control response is excellent.

I fly both regularly. I prefer the SW due to being lighter. When I was training, I preferred the LS... solo'd in an LS. But took my check-ride in the SW. It was just the first few hours I liked the LS... something about the controls made it feel easier to handle. But once you get past that initial coordination I don't think the SW is harder to fly. My landings are noticeably better in the SW since that's what I prefer to fly... there is a slight difference in sight picture (slight). The LS is definitely more comfortable and roomy though.

Additionally, I think the the CTSW requires a little more attention to rudder trim.  When I am hand flying the CTSW, it requires more effort (cross check and pedal input) to keep the airplane flying in trim.

That said, as with the CTLS, control response is excellent.

I have found that my CTSW is very rarely in perfect rudder trim.  From flight to flight the trim changes, and I am either holding a little pedal pressure to keep coordinated, or fiddling often with the rudder trim wheel.  Not a big problem when flying long legs and you can get to speed, set it and forget it, but when just buzzing around and changing power and speed settings a lot it seems to need more attention.

I was answering A-cept who asked about the extent of the tail enlargement which did include the enlarged stabilator trim tab.

Well, OK, except that there is nothing in his question about anything except the vertical stab and rudder, the sticky uppy parts, not about the horizontal stab, the sticky outy parts.  Nevertheless, I accept your point.

Archived