SL40 radio: No sound

Linden1

Picked up my CT from annual and can no longer hear any transmission or reception on my headset. I confirmed that other pilots could hear me transmit on the unicom. Checked the rf function in the system menu which indicated the radio was receiving on the frequency.

The mechanic removed the center panel to access the fuel filter but unaware of anything that would have effected radio. He also removed the BRS chute for repack. Have not had any problems with the radio before.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I did try multiple headsets, squelch adj., intercom on/off, pilot side jack confirmed. The jack plug connections are very close to BRS and mechanic mentioned he had a devil of a time removing the chute. I checked but did not see any loose connectors for the plug jacks near the BRS mount. Also pulled central panel and did not see any loose connections to radio. I do need to check the intercom connections.

Spoke to Garmin who suggested I try setting the headphone level in the setup menu to zero. After that they said to focus on the jacks.

You might plug the headset in normally, then gently wiggle and retract and insert the mike jack to see if you get an intermittent activity. The problem with the jack might be internal to it and not easily visible from the outside. When you do the above test, you'll also be able to see if the jack is secured or if it wiggles around and could be adding to the problem. The placement of the CTSW jacks was not done by a pilot, that is for sure. Mine will be moved this winter.

You might plug the headset in normally, then gently wiggle and retract and insert the mike jack to see if you get an intermittent activity. The problem with the jack might be internal to it and not easily visible from the outside. When you do the above test, you'll also be able to see if the jack is secured or if it wiggles around and could be adding to the problem. The placement of the CTSW jacks was not done by a pilot, that is for sure. Mine will be moved this winter.

I was told, by a very reliable source, that those headset jacks are not mounted very well to begin with.

He actually ended up reinforcing them.  I, eventually, will be doing the same.

Don't know if my experience detailed here

http://ctflier.com/index.php?/topic/2527-radiointercom-problem/

is any help - but certainly I think that some of the wiring inside the centre console is a tad tight and the slightest extra strain can seem to cause problems.

post-998-0-96995300-1412859049_thumb.jpg

Ian wins the prize.  I pulled the PM3000 intercom and found a broken wire on the serial plug.  By coincidence? it turned out to be the same wire that had broken in Ian's connector - #14 which is "a/c radio in"

Replaced the connector and the radio was fine.  The intercom is wired between the radio and the head sets with a relay to the radio that allows the pilot to communicate if the intercom fails.  In my case transmission wire was fine although no sound since a/c in wire had broken off.  

Thanks all 

Good deal, reinserting a wire in to a connector is much cheaper than a new radio!   :)

BTW, when I was having some problems with the pitch servo following my autopilot install, I found the problem to be a wire in the DB9 connector from the AP head to the servo was not fully seated; clicking the bayonet connector in fully cured the issue.

It seems like for electrical gremlins the wiring connections should be high on the suspect list.

With stuff like this . . . this forum is great.

We have a lot of sharp, attentive guys on here.  For that I am grateful.

Thanks to all for posting problems, as well as solutions, for things that are common to our little airplanes.

Good deal, reinserting a wire in to a connector is much cheaper than a new radio!   :)

This is true. Since the wire is likely already cut to a short length and putting a new connector on will shorten it more, it may be necessary to splice the wire to add some length back in. Wires need to be long enough to reach and also long enough to allow some minimal manipulation of the equipment during installation or to provide access to other components. All I'm saying is it's seldom as easy as putting a new end on.

Archived