Flight under ATL Class B

FlyingMonkey

I went to check out my ATL flight on flightaware, and it does not show up, and says my airplane has had no flights in the last 14 days...anybody know why that would be, if I'm on FF?

There is a good, recent discussion on this in Pilots Of America. I would not bet on getting in the system, although as I recall there are some ways of filing VFR that can improve your chances (even though most VFR flights don't go in the system, either).

There is a good, recent discussion on this in Pilots Of America. I would not bet on getting in the system, although as I recall there are some ways of filing VFR that can improve your chances (even though most VFR flights don't go in the system, either).

Yeah, I have not filed a flight plan since training and doubt I ever will.  

I'm sure that will ruffle some feathers.  :)

Yeah, I have not filed a flight plan since training and doubt I ever will.  

I'm sure that will ruffle some feathers.  :)

hahaha yup. My personal thing is this: VFR plans are good to have to in areas with poor radar coverage and hostile terrain like swamps, the badlands, the mountains in BFE... Other than that, FF does the same thing, if not better.

Here is on POA thread with some interesting insights, including comments by several controllers. The thread also include a link to a previous discussion about how to file an IFR flight plan that was commented out as VFR - attitudes toward the utility of that practice vary.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74197&highlight=vfr+system

• 9 months later...

I've found that if my requested heading and altitude will keep me out of the way that ATC usually (in my case, always) will let you through the class Bravo airspace at KLAS. This has been confirmed through discussion with a friend who is a controller there. It also helps to know the particular landing and departing configuration going on at the airport(s) under the class Bravo which can be determined by tuning in or calling ATIS. I always request flight following when going through Bravo will get me there more quickly and so far I've never been denied.

Like NCBill, I've had good results using FF.  I've had long silences sometimes with FF where I wonder if they are still watching my "6" but ATC is there if I call.  I've had good coverage while in "C" and "B" airspace.  Interesting to note Detroit ATC has held informational meetings with large groups of us to discuss their operations and have Q&A with us.  They informed us that they really prefer for us to give them a call and let them know if we're in the area.  We show up on their screens and they appreciate knowing the little blips are not just light aircraft wandering around but are being flown by pilots who are using good situational awareness.  Another item they let us know about is the fact there are "cages" that run right thru the Class B Detroit Metro airspace.  These "cages"  are set aside for us to use to go direct thru the airspace.  They actually take us directly thru the airport, within close distance to the tower.  ATC said these are there to allow us to go direct to our destinations without diverting many miles around the ground to ceiling inner airspace.  I'm curious if others have these "cages" at their local Class B airports?

I've found that if my requested heading and altitude will keep me out of the way that ATC usually (in my case, always) will let you through the class Bravo airspace at KLAS. This has been confirmed through discussion with a friend who is a controller there. It also helps to know the particular landing and departing configuration going on at the airport(s) under the class Bravo which can be determined by tuning in or calling ATIS. I always request flight following when going through Bravo will get me there more quickly and so far I've never been denied.

We presume you are getting clearance to enter Bravo.  Once you have a squawk code flight following through the airspace is automatic.  If there are published VFR corridors through the Bravo airspace request one of them, they are setup in advance to avoid traffic from the airport. 

Yeah, here in the ATL area I'm sure you'd get cleared through more easily in the north or south areas of the Class B...if you are on a course that would take you right over Hartsfield at 4500feet I'd expect "remain clear of the Class B".  ;)

Like NCBill, I've had good results using FF.  I've had long silences sometimes with FF where I wonder if they are still watching my "6" but ATC is there if I call.  I've had good coverage while in "C" and "B" airspace.  Interesting to note Detroit ATC has held informational meetings with large groups of us to discuss their operations and have Q&A with us.  They informed us that they really prefer for us to give them a call and let them know if we're in the area.  We show up on their screens and they appreciate knowing the little blips are not just light aircraft wandering around but are being flown by pilots who are using good situational awareness.  Another item they let us know about is the fact there are "cages" that run right thru the Class B Detroit Metro airspace.  These "cages"  are set aside for us to use to go direct thru the airspace.  They actually take us directly thru the airport, within close distance to the tower.  ATC said these are there to allow us to go direct to our destinations without diverting many miles around the ground to ceiling inner airspace.  I'm curious if others have these "cages" at their local Class B airports?

It's always a weird feeling to go an hour hearing nothing on the radio, then suddenly loud and clear hear a call from ATC.  I guess they just have lulls like any other job.

My understanding is that the controllers around busy areas always prefer to have VFR traffic on FF, so they get an idea of type and intentions, and not just a radar target with no idea what the guy is up to.  Though of course when they get busy they have to prioritize and drop the "luxury" of knowing what everybody is up to.  That's when you hear "radar services terminated, squawk VFR".

It's always a weird feeling to go an hour hearing nothing on the radio, then suddenly loud and clear hear a call from ATC.  I guess they just have lulls like any other job.

I've often thought it would be a good idea for them to transmit a little "beep" every 15 seconds or so, when they have dead air. Would make it more obvious if you got out of range, had the squelch set wrong or just the volume turned down.

I've often thought it would be a good idea for them to transmit a little "beep" every 15 seconds or so, when they have dead air. Would make it more obvious if you got out of range, had the squelch set wrong or just the volume turned down.

Every 15 seconds would drive me nuts.  Every two minutes would be enough for me!   :)

Andy,

At times, flights under and through ATL Class B can be really crazy. 

You are close enough to fly all aound Atlanta and see some neat sights.  I've made many hours of video's with my GoPro's in the Atlanta area, amazing.

History:

For the past three (3) years we have been hauling grand kids from SE Georgia into KFTY on Friday's and picking up the other grand kids at KFFC, then back to SE Georgia. Sunday's is the reverse KFFC -> KFTY then back to the SE.

80 percent of all our flights are VFR, (passing thru KDBN -> JRAMS -> CADUR -> JOXRE -> KFTY) with the majority of them Flight Following. In which case the controllers are advising to stay clear of Class B airspace. The above route allows us to have minimum time under the Class B veil and skirting the KPDK Class D airspace. Now comes the kicker: The Georgia Dome, home to the Atlanta Falcon's, gets a TFR often during sporting events. During that period it's like threading a needle, between KPDK and the TFR, going into “Charlie Brown”.

Those weekly trips accounted for almost 400 annual hours on the plane.

Well in the last few months children have moved and grand kids reshuffled and the missions changed. No more need for “grandpa” airlines.

No more mission, no more larger airplane. Went with wife to “Sun 'N Fun” looking at LSA's, I can see this is going to be a long drawn out process.

Archived