Dynon Skyveiw speed out of sync

samifer

So the other day im flying along minding my own business and all of a sudden on my main screen a warning pops up telling me that my 2 speed sensors are out of sync and i have to chose witch one to fly off of .... so i look at my Garmin and go with the closest one  (one was reading 110kn and the other was reading 90kn)  after about 20 min the prob seemed to go away. 

As i approached my airport and about to join the circuit this happens again! but now those 20 kn means allot more! I again pick the one closest to the gps speed 

what im wondering is what happened?  could one of my pitot tubes be icing up ??

The lines have to be blown out once in a while or they accumulate water in a low point in the system. The pitot tube can also get a little frost impact obstruction.

I really don't like the dynon pitot tube booms because they have no drain. Nor did FD install a drain in the pitot or static lines to make it easy to purge the system.

first disconnect and take off the pitot tube and blow it out with compressed air to see if that fixes the issue (be sure to mark which line is which for the tube!). If not, put a blown up balloon on the pitot tube and tie it down. If it deflates within a few minutes, you have a pitot leak. See if you can figure out a way to do it to the static port too.

If the balloon test passes, then you need to disconnect all your instrumentation, and blow compressed air into the lines. DO NOT LEAVE INSTRUMENTS CONNECTED OR YOU WILL DAMAGE THEM.

Depending on your regulations, you may be required to have the pitot-static system tested once it has been opened.

If both systems are coming off the same pitot source...wouldn't they read the same?  It could still be wrong due to water or obstruction, but the pitot pressure reaching each device should be the same unless the obstruction was in the line between the two devices.

This could be a calibration or software/hardware issue on one of the speed sensors.

If both systems are coming off the same pitot source...wouldn't they read the same?  It could still be wrong due to water or obstruction, but the pitot pressure reaching each device should be the same unless the obstruction was in the line between the two devices.

This could be a calibration or software/hardware issue on one of the speed sensors.

Depends on plumbing. There are always high and low points. It is cheaper to clean the system than to start replacing and finding out later there was pooled water :)

Depends on plumbing. There are always high and low points. It is cheaper to clean the system than to start replacing and finding out later there was pooled water :)

Oh sure, always try the cheap stuff first!  I'm just mentioning I'm a little skeptical that will cure this particular problem.  If it even is a problem, it sounds like it corrected itself and might never recur. 

Archived