Impossible Turn Testing

FlyingMonkey

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SportPilotTalk, in spite of a broader pilot base, has not had a single post in about a week as far as I can tell.

Make of that what you will.

Just post a topic on the Impossible Turn, Straight in approaches at a non-towered airport, high wing vs. low wing, ADS-B compliance, glass vs. steam, IOS vs. Android..... and I'm sure the volume would return  :lol:

I have to say that I agree with Jim Meade's comments.

As an SLSA owner of a different type (Vans RV-12) I'm especially interested in the different points made by FD owners/renters/mechanics. I've learned a lot.

Vigorous discussion is one thing, Right-fighting is another. Sadly so many threads quickly lapse into right-fighting pee-ing contests which are basically no-win. Not that 'winning' is any type of worthwhile pursuit. I occasionally reply or write a comment since as Jim said there are many newbies who may just read what someone has said and take it as gospel and it always nags at me, especially since I know it's not true.

Otherwise there are those on here who you just KNOW will take a rude, condescending , arrogant, know-it-all, "I'm right, therefore you're wrong", 'the book says" approach and the whole thread descends into a cat fight correcting them as opposed to a lively discussion about the original topic. I know nobody needs that and I'm surprised the moderator doesn't kick-in behind the scenes and talk to the individual. Not my business I suppose as I'm a guest and fly an aircraft type other than FD.

Frustratingly, it usually feels a lot like having to listen to my mother-in-law….and she's ALWAYS right. (Please don't tell her I said that?)

Sport Pilot forum has indeed been quiet of late and this is the season where folks start thinking about the approaching good flying weather days. I think many are put off by the threads morphing into fights and occasional name calling. Still, hopefully guys will continue to post their thoughts and experiences and hopefully there won't be a character who immediately comes on and disses the poster with their own set of facts which are usually shown to be flawed and yet the offender won't apologize or take ownership of their careless 'advice'.

Jim, admins usually only respond because of reports of abuse from other forum members.

"Management should either delete or edit posts that do not meet the rules of conduct. Management put up with this trash talk for days and then jumps on the entire membership. "

The admins shouldn't have to read 100% of the post every hour to find poor choices for post language. 

The admins usually only react when we get complaints and reported post which unfortunately happens more often than you think.

The admins shouldn't need to be a baby sitter for a few people. That should have ended when you left your parents house.

The admins didn't jump on everyone. If you haven't done anything wrong then the post wasn't leveled at you only the offenders that the other people have reported.

This isn't unique to this forum and all in all is far better than most. It is becoming more prevalent on other forums as I hear about it almost daily and people are being ask to leave.

Jim's quote:

"I have learned one thing - bad talk drives out good. I've seen several forums destroyed because competent, well meaning people are driven out by the nay-sayers, those who simply can't quite until no voice is heard but their own. I'd much rather kill a forum by banning those kind of people than let them kill it by driving off the good ones."

Absolutely!

Archived