Garmin Radio Service Bulletin

Roger Lee

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tip,

I just got back from a special trip to my hangar. It's actually within 100 ft of my family room but it seemed like more after watching my team take another beating in the world series!. Anyway, here is what is on my SL40:

headphone level - 000

Mic1 sqlch - 58

Mic2 sqlch - 58

transmit mic 1 + 2

Intercom level - 000

sidetone level - 025

high display level - 50

low display level - 00

As far as I know all is well with these settings.

John,

Thanks for making the trip! I'll take your settings and see how they compare to what I have. This is what's so great about this forum. I didn't know about of all these adjustments until the side tone discussion.

Tip, I was playing with my SL40 the other day to see where I was with my settings. Pushing buttons and twisting knobs is the reason we own airplanes!:D My SL40 settings are the same as John's. These settings have never been changed by me so I'm thinking that this is the factory default settings. Since a lot of forum members are saying to set the side tone level to "0" which slaves this to the transmit volume, I tried this. It seemed like the transmit level was less than the receive volume. I ended up setting the side tone level back to 25 and now I perceive my transmit (side tone) and receive levels as being the same. There doesn't seem to be much cabin noise when I transmit so this seems to work for me. I don't have noise cancelling headsets so perhaps slaving to "0" is the way to go if one has these, such as you with your 50D's?

John and Dick,

My settings on the SL40 are the same as yours. There's lots of adjustments. The headset, the SL40 and the intercom. The guy that sold the 50's to me said to turn the gain down on the headset mic and I didn't want to start there before having the Garmin set properly.

• 1 month later...

posted by:

N531CT

For those that missed the Garmin extension deadline they said don't bother sending the radio in and paying the flat $450 fee for repair. They said wait until the radio breaks and the mod will be done as a part of the flat rate repair. The key language is the Garmin SB which states "Mandatory, but without time limit". You can fly around with an affected radio for years as the SB has no "fix by date". Garmin further told me the issue has no impact on aviation use at all. The issue is with some local tv stations getting some spurious noise from an occassional Garmin SL40 or 30 flying overhead. I happened to upgrade my panel including com and thus upgraded the problem away... If you missed the deadline and can't get this done don't panic or rush out to blow $450.00. Call Garmin and ask about the "Mandatory but without time limit" statement and its meaning.

Archived