Dynon Skyview 11.1 update

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious, did they provide an update to your POH for the new software?

They didn't. The POH was revised a little while ago. Vans pretty much allows for the Dynon Skyview Users manual if that's what you have. 

These days the SLSA can have either Garmin or Dynon. There are so many owner builds with various avionics that the manual can't reflect them all I suppose.

What Vans does do is review a firmware update and then post it on their website for download plus an accompanying settings file with ReadMe documentation supporting it.

They didn't. The POH was revised a little while ago. Vans pretty much allows for the Dynon Skyview Users manual if that's what you have. 

These days the SLSA can have either Garmin or Dynon. There are so many owner builds with various avionics that the manual can't reflect them all I suppose.

What Vans does do is review a firmware prate and then post it on their website for download plus an accompanying settings file with ReadMe documentation supporting it.

It makes sense for Vans to just have a boilerplate line in their POH stating "use the avionics manual appropriate for installed firmware version as a supplement to this manual", or "abide by the avionics manufacturer's operations manual for installed firmware version" or something like that.

That would sure beat revising the RV-12 POH every time Dynon updates firmware. 

It makes sense for Vans to just have a boilerplate line in their POH stating "use the avionics manual appropriate for installed firmware version as a supplement to this manual", or "abide by the avionics manufacturer's operations manual for installed firmware version" or something like that.

That would sure beat revising the RV-12 POH every time Dynon updates firmware. 

That's pretty much how TL-Ultralight handles it as well.  They also have a single line item for the Annual that says something like "Update all relevant components to the latest software release". 

FD takes a long time to eval the Dynon updates because they really don't have anyone working on it full-time....they are too busy making airplanes.  Most of the differences in Dynon updates are obscure capability few will use anyway...as long as the plane flys safely, why worry about it?

So what are you saying? The person who usually does the software evaluation is working at installing instead?

And, I don't think anyone is "worried," do you?

If I wasn't in the middle of a hose change and annual I would, as a repairman, be installing it. Why not have the most recent version available. (Or maybe we all should have stuck with steam gauges, right?)

FD takes a long time to eval the Dynon updates because they really don't have anyone working on it full-time....they are too busy making airplanes.

That sounds like a personal problem or a corporate dodge.  Not buying it.

Most of the differences in Dynon updates are obscure capability few will use anyway...

Whether you like it or not, we are missing out on some great functionality of SkyView.

Just for starters, who in the world, except you, would not want to load their cross-country flight plan (or make on the fly changes), directly from their iPad, into SkyView . . . WIRELESSLY?

I think that is a great feature.

That's what the RV-12 guys are doing now.

Van's is selling a lot more airplanes than Flight Design.

So what are you saying? The person who usually does the software evaluation is working at installing instead?

And, I don't think anyone is "worried," do you?

If I wasn't in the middle of a hose change and annual I would, as a repairman, be installing it. Why not have the most recent version available. (Or maybe we all should have stuck with steam gauges, right?)

I am saying that the Dynon updates sat for over a year at V6 because no one in Germany was working on it or at best not working on it in a timely way.  FDUSA is proactive trying to keep US customers happy and now we are just getting to 11.1 thanks largely to them.   FDUSA is now looking at 12.2, but again, not full-time so don't expect that release soon either.

The Vans company is obviously keeping up better than FD with the Dynon software updates - that explains why Topcat is already on 12.2.  And that's nice.

When you look at the features list from the Dynon site not a lot jumps out that is of particular value.  Not even the 'wireless' flight plan update...why?  Because how many Dynon Skyview FD users are using the Dynon for their flight plans?  I don't, I doubt others are either, at least not while the Garmin 696 and 796 are in the panel.  And the Garmin 796 touch interface is far easier and faster to put in a flight plan and it's waypoints anyway.

For those with the Dynon Skyview touch screens, this would change.  At that point it makes no sense to even have a Garmin in the cockpit, just use Skyview and a Dynon SV-GPS-250 instead of a Garmin 796.

Of course an all Garmin cockpit would be even nicer, like the G3x and the GTN 650/750.  But the GTN would be wasted in the CTLS since its a full Nav/Com suite.  That panel would give you wireless for everything, updates, flight plans, and the VIRB camera displayed on the PFD during flight.

And of course if you have this kind of capability in the cockpit, there is no need for Foreflight or any other tablet/phone based EFB at all....except as a backup....

I am saying that the Dynon updates sat for over a year at V6 because no one in Germany was working on it or at best not working on it in a timely way. FDUSA is proactive trying to keep US customers happy and now we are just getting to 11.1 thanks largely to them. FDUSA is now looking at 12.2, but again, not full-time so don't expect that release soon either.

The Vans company is obviously keeping up better than FD with the Dynon software updates - that explains why Topcat is already on 12.2. And that's nice.

When you look at the features list from the Dynon site not a lot jumps out that is of particular value. Not even the 'wireless' flight plan update...why? Because how many Dynon Skyview FD users are using the Dynon for their flight plans? I don't, I doubt others are either, at least not while the Garmin 696 and 796 are in the panel. And the Garmin 796 touch interface is far easier and faster to put in a flight plan and it's waypoints anyway.

For those with the Dynon Skyview touch screens, this would change. At that point it makes no sense to even have a Garmin in the cockpit, just use Skyview and a Dynon SV-GPS-250 instead of a Garmin 796.

Of course an all Garmin cockpit would be even nicer, like the G3x and the GTN 650/750. But the GTN would be wasted in the CTLS since its a full Nav/Com suite. That panel would give you wireless for everything, updates, flight plans, and the VIRB camera displayed on the PFD during flight.

And of course if you have this kind of capability in the cockpit, there is no need for Foreflight or any other tablet/phone based EFB at all....except as a backup....

Nonsense.

This is a problem of either control freakishness on the part of FD or just a poor POH design.  If the POH were setup like Van's, they would not have to re-write pages for each new avionics feature, they could just have a boilerplate like in there saying to abide by the avionics manufacturer's operating manuals and use any general availability firmware release provided by the manufacturer.

The only circumstance this would *not* work well in, would be if FD uses hardware (such as sending units) or wiring configurations on their factory setups that are not approved by the avionics manufacturer.  Those whould potentially have to be vetted by FD to ensure reliability.  AKAIK that is not the case, and FD uses pretty standard hardware and wiring.

I understand liability concerns, but IMO if Dynon issues a firmware update that causes issues with their hardware when set up in a reasonable and easily anticipated way, then the liability rests with Dynon, not FD.  I think FD should issue POH updates for all CT models with the above described boilerplate, and wash their hands of this problem for good.  After all, they still get to approve all setups through the MRA/LOA process. 

I am not making excuses, but does anyone here know exactly what the ASTM standards say about updates to avionics databases, and what is required by the manufacturer of the aircraft? An other thing to consider is that Flight Design is now building airplanes under a EASA type certificate which might add other restrictions. 

Nonsense.

Well, and this is a serious question, If I have dual Dynons D1000's  with ver. 6.2 and a 796 (which I love to use for its simplicity, I also have a Galaxy S 5 phone as a backup running Garmin Pilot) what would be the advantage to upgrading to ver. 11.1 operating system ?

Cheers

Did you mean duel Skyview's?

Dynon D100 EFIS  are the first generation and software only goes to 5.5.0

I guess I meant  D 1000. I understand the D1000's are Skyviews.

du·al
ˈd(y)o͞oəl/
adjective
adjective: dual
consisting of two parts, elements, or aspects.
"their dual role at work and home"

synonyms: double, twofold, binary; More

du·el
ˈd(y)o͞oəl/
noun
historical
noun: duel; plural noun: duels
a contest with deadly weapons arranged between two people in order to settle a point of honor.

synonyms: affair of honor; More

Cheers

PS. previous post amended.

Guys:

EASA requires engine instrumentation to be displayed at all times. The firmware must be customized to reflect this. This is the biggest obstacle to just releasing new versions.

To the best of my knowledge, this compliance already exists, with non-customized, off the shelf, "default software."

As an example, if one SkyView is lost, the engine instrumentation and PFD will automatically be switched on to the remaining display, even if the map previously covered all the display real estate.

I could be wrong, but I think the engine instruments and PFD must always be displayed, even in a single SkyView configuration.

The SKYVIEWS from DYNON (not FDUSA installs) are not restricted as to what is shown on the screens of either of the 2 units - pilot's or co-pilot's.

Each screen can be split into sections: 100%, or 50%-50%, or 67%-33%, or 33%-33%-33%.

That part of the screen can then be populated with PFD, Engine or Map data.

For example, you can fly with the pilot's side showing 67% PFD and 33% Engine data while the other side displays 100% Map data.

You can customize the screens to your heart's content. Whatever is most useful to you and your mission. Both screens can even have the same setup; e.g. student training.

One very useful feature that became available a year or more ago (maybe v9 or v10) was the SWITCH button. PRESS it and the 2 screens switch places. Very useful if you suddenly want to look closely at the VFR chart on the the co-pilot's screen. (N.B. This requires subscribing to Seattle Avionics charts compatible with the DYNONs. About $99@year)

The features in non released Dynon software for Flight Design are anecdotal only...and yes, Flight Design restricts how the screens are configured and owners must use the Flight Design released versions as released by Flight Design itself...

Here is a Service Notification affecting Skyviews...note section 3.2.2 Download Update Files  and the subsequent warning regarding the use of Dynon software.

http://flightdesign.com/files/Service%20Notification/SN-ASTM-CTLS-03.pdf

The SKYVIEWS from DYNON (not FDUSA installs) are not restricted as to what is shown on the screens of either of the 2 units - pilot's or co-pilot's.

Each screen can be split into sections: 100%, or 50%-50%, or 67%-33%, or 33%-33%-33%.

That part of the screen can then be populated with PFD, Engine or Map data.

For example, you can fly with the pilot's side showing 67% PFD and 33% Engine data while the other side displays 100% Map data.

You can customize the screens to your heart's content. Whatever is most useful to you and your mission. Both screens can even have the same setup; e.g. student training.

One very useful feature that became available a year or more ago (maybe v9 or v10) was the SWITCH button. PRESS it and the 2 screens switch places. Very useful if you suddenly want to look closely at the VFR chart on the the co-pilot's screen. (N.B. This requires subscribing to Seattle Avionics charts compatible with the DYNONs. About $99@year)

Not a lot of difference from Skyview 6.2. I cannot pick the proportions, but and the EMS is always visible. I can however do everything you have listed including the "swap." (That's what mine displays.)

I don't have the Seattle Avionics and tend to use my 696 most often. That's what is connected to my auto pilot.

Not a lot of difference from Skyview 6.2. I cannot pick the proportions, but and the EMS is always visible. I can however do everything you have listed including the "swap." (That's what mine displays.)

I don't have the Seattle Avionics and tend to use my 696 most often. That's what is connected to my auto pilot.

I tend to agree with you, I'm thinking, and you seem to confirm, "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Staying with 6.2. Thanks !

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi,

The reason I'd like to upgrade from 6.2 to 11.1: I fly in Australia and the FAA obstacle and aviation databases don't cover our continent. I subscribe to PocketFMS datasets instead. At some point in the future the software interface between Dynon and av/ob datasets will change considerably requiring to upgrade to latest or later than 6.2 firmware (I believe)

I have used the FD advised config download: CTLS LSA SW 6.2 to 11.1 with GTR 225+XPNDR 261 (FD advised that this will work with the Garmin SL 40 radio, which I have)

The problem: Loading the update_6.2_ to_11.1_CTLS.duc file as documented in the SI just exits without updating in less than a second (I think it does not extract it).

Has anyone used the above to upgrade from 6.2 to 11.1 successfully. If yes, I'm trying to get advise regarding from exactly which firmware version and build and the procedure employed to successfully achive the update to 2 networked D1000 units - thanks

Matt

Archived