GNC 255 NavCom

gbigs

Does anyone have experience using the GNC 255 NavCom with the Dynon Skyview?  I am interested in training for an instrument rating in the CTLS.  I know LSA is restricted from flying in actual IMC. 

I intend to use my plane as a trainer under hood.  I wanted to know if installing this radio and using the HSI on the Dynon Skyview will suffice for ILS, VOR etc.

I have the GNC 255 A Navcom and the Dynon Skyview systems in my aircraft. When the nav side of the radio is tuned to VOR or ILS frequencies the Skyview can be coupled to the GNC 255 A and it will power the HSI needles (VOR-Localizer-GlideSlope).

Gary Lavy

I have the GNC 255 A Navcom and the Dynon Skyview systems in my aircraft. When the nav side of the radio is tuned to VOR or ILS frequencies the Skyview can be coupled to the GNC 255 A and it will power the HSI needles (VOR-Localizer-GlideSlope).

Gary Lavy

I also have the Garmin 796 which supplies GPS to the Dynon Skyview.   Are you flying VORs and ILS approaches using the input from the Nav side of the radio?  Do you ever fly IFR at the altitudes and in the VFR weather the FD must fly at?  Do you find yourself doing a lot of frequency input to use the radio for both communicating and for Nav work? 

If you wanted to train for an instrument rating in the Flight Design, would you think the $3k upgrade to the radio be justified in regard to resale later?  Do you think potential owners of an FD would want the Nav radio as a backup or a prime if there is a 796 GPS in the cockpit also?

Would it make sense to take the Instrument checkride in an FD so equipped?  Would it suffice?

We do instrument training and testing in N566FD, which is equipped with an SL30. The GPS cannot be used at all in the test as it is not certified to comply with the practical test standards, so it has to be turned off. The requirement for the PTS is one precision and two non-precision approaches, which is satisfied by an ILS approach, VOR approach, and localizer only approach.

EDIT: The SL 30 is a nav/comm radio. Forgot to mention that.

Not my question...thanks anyway. Ill wait for the guy who has the GNC 255 in his plane. And incidentally, GPS is used for instrument flying and I fully intend to do mostly GPS instrument flying after I get my ticket.

796 can't be used for instrument flying. You can't file with /g using one.

I also have the Garmin 796 which supplies GPS to the Dynon Skyview. I can say that 99.9% + of my navigation is with this. It is just so simple, intuitive, accurate, and the ultimate in situational awareness. Of course all verbal communication is on the GNC 255 A.

Although I am instrument rated, but since flying under the Sport Pilot provision, all flights are VFR. I fly cross country in the IFR system, but using VFR Flight Following only

I feel that the FD equiped with avionics similiar to mine would be a very acceptable platform for IFR training & practice.

I would have to honestly answer your question about potential future owners by saying they could get along perfectly fine without the navigational functions of the GNC 255 A.

It seems to me that the instrument checkride could be performed in an FD so equiped. I would hasten to add that I am not well versed on the legal implications of that option.

I also have the Garmin 796 which supplies GPS to the Dynon Skyview. I can say that 99.9% + of my navigation is with this. It is just so simple, intuitive, accurate, and the ultimate in situational awareness. Of course all verbal communication is on the GNC 255 A.

Although I am instrument rated, but since flying under the Sport Pilot provision, all flights are VFR. I fly cross country in the IFR system, but using VFR Flight Following only

I feel that the FD equiped with avionics similiar to mine would be a very acceptable platform for IFR training & practice.

I would have to honestly answer your question about potential future owners by saying they could get along perfectly fine without the navigational functions of the GNC 255 A.

It seems to me that the instrument checkride could be performed in an FD so equiped. I would hasten to add that I am not well versed on the legal implications of that option.

Thanks.   Appreciate you sharing your experience.

There's no legal implications. Nothing prohibits IFR in a light sport, but the manufacturers may prohibit flight into IMC. It's these two things that get mixed up.

I think this is something that we've beaten up in other threads.  It's true (to my limited knowledge) that there is no prohibition against filing IFR without all the required equipment...BUT, you have to accept ATC instructions when flying IFR.  If they vector you into IMC, you are left with either canceling IFR and going VFR, or breaking the law.  

Frankly, I don't see the advantage of filing IFR if you have to maintain VFR anyway.  It's just extra hassle, especially when flight following is available if you want to be in the system.  Not to mention flying IFR gives you many more opportunities to get pilot deviations from ATC for busting altitude, etc.

Can somebody explain where the advantage is here?

Not my question...thanks anyway.  Ill wait for the guy who has the GNC 255 in his plane.  And incidentally, GPS is used for instrument flying and I fully intend to do mostly GPS instrument flying after I get my ticket.

The GNC 255 is the radio that replaced the SL 30. If you can do IFR training with the SL 30 coupled to the Dynon, then you should be able to do it with the GNC 255.

Why not just drop in a GTN 650 instead, that way you will have a IFR certified GPS source too.

I think this is something that we've beaten up in other threads.  It's true (to my limited knowledge) that there is no prohibition against filing IFR without all the required equipment...BUT, you have to accept ATC instructions when flying IFR.  If they vector you into IMC, you are left with either canceling IFR and going VFR, or breaking the law.  

Frankly, I don't see the advantage of filing IFR if you have to maintain VFR anyway.  It's just extra hassle, especially when flight following is available if you want to be in the system.  Not to mention flying IFR gives you many more opportunities to get pilot deviations from ATC for busting altitude, etc.

Can somebody explain where the advantage is here?

Andy -- the advantage is IFR proficiency which may have little value in the LSA/SP world.  Back when I was a cloud buster, I always filed IFR even on CAVU days.  This kept me proficient in filing, copying clearances and flying in the system.  Also a small advantage is that flight following is granted based on workload permitting and IFR is not.  Flight following is sometimes difficult to get in the DFW area depending on time of day and region although you're usually fine once out of approach/departure control.

Andy -- the advantage is IFR proficiency which may have little value in the LSA/SP world.  Back when I was a cloud buster, I always filed IFR even on CAVU days.  This kept me proficient in filing, copying clearances and flying in the system.  Also a small advantage is that flight following is granted based on workload permitting and IFR is not.  Flight following is sometimes difficult to get in the DFW area depending on time of day and region although you're usually fine once out of approach/departure control.

Thanks Dave, that's what I was thinking.  Training and proficiency, and more reliable for getting radar services.  I just didn't know if I was missing some hidden secret advantage.  :)  

Thanks Dave, that's what I was thinking.  Training and proficiency, and more reliable for getting radar services.  I just didn't know if I was missing some hidden secret advantage.  :)  

The GNC 255 is the radio that replaced the SL 30. If you can do IFR training with the SL 30 coupled to the Dynon, then you should be able to do it with the GNC 255.

Why not just drop in a GTN 650 instead, that way you will have a IFR certified GPS source too.

Good ideas...and I know the GNC 255 is the follow-on to the older SL30.  I am trying to find the least cost path to using the plane for IFR training.  I also like the GTN 750..but that will have to wait for another plane...

Archived