Dynon just released SkyView 12.0

WmInce

Does this require any certain capacity or type of SD card or would any generic SD card work?  How should it be formatted?  Thanks.

Any SD card will work.  No formating necessary.  Just put the .FPL file on the SD card and insert it into the 796 (files are small).  Then touch the Flight Planning icon on the 796 and you will see an import function.  The SD file will appear in the list, select and name and your done.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in the process of downloading SV 12.0 to my Skyview Touch. Vans are good in that they review it and then tailor it to suit the RV-12 and offer settings files which you can download to save you trying to figure it out yourself. For example, I have the Dynon Autopilot panel so once it's all downloaded I can try out the new auto-trim feature. They also have settings files for ADSB, GTR200 radio and dimmer, although I'm not sure why I'd need to dim the screen for my flying.

One thing I don't like about Vans is that they don't offer a way to download using a Mac. It's not like Mac just showed up. Usually I can still plug the Dynon USB to the Mac and transfer the file over to upload into Skyview. That's true today for the SV 12.0 but the settings files all end in .dfg and when I tried to download on the Mac they morphed into .dfg.txt files. In the end I cranked up my old Acer NetBook and downloaded them from a PC but it's slow.

The settings files don't appear to be code but a series of one line text commands so perhaps that's all that is needed to tweak the Skyview to enable the new 12.0 features. Have to say This area is out of my experience level and comfort zone!

I have a subscription to Seattle Avionics for their VFR Charts. Once the USB containing that is in I have the option to switch from Skyview map to VFR sectional map. I have to say I don't really use it as much as I thought I would having grown to really like the Dynon map. The sectional option has some limitations although it does rovide a geo-referenced taxi chart which pops up in the INFO menu once the USB is installed. I find this quite useful at bigger airports with more taxiways. The subscription offers a load of IFR charts which I don't need so really it's an expensive option just to get a lightly used sectional and taxi chart option. However, the sectional does offer USA coverage and I don't carry a paper chart anymore except a couple of recent ones.

Again, with Seattle Avionics they don't offer any support for a Mac. Their CEO e-mailed me recently and said the best they could do was to suggest installing Parallels to allow you to switch from OS to MS which I'm not going to do. Altogether, a frustrating company and a product with somewhat limited value, to me anyway.

Anyway, the USB is loaded with 12.0 and the settings file will be uploaded in the order than Vans says.

Right now the wi-fi option isn't that appealing to me as I can quickly load a flight plan on the touch screen. Of course that may change  if I talk to someone who uses it.

Question for you FD folks…why can't you use the latest level of Skyview? Why are you limited to not go beyond the earlier version?

Question for you FD folks…why can't you use the latest level of Skyview? Why are you limited to not go beyond the earlier version?

Special Light-Sport Aircraft, or SLSA, are 100% factory built light aircraft that may be used commercially for instruction and rental. These aircraft are certified using industry consensus standards created with guidance from ASTM International and approved by FAA. So, since we are an S-LSA (unless an owner chooses to switch to an E-LSA) we have have to adhere to the manufacturer guidelines and specifications. FD has to test and document all versions for us to download and install. Plus, after v6.2 we all have screens that are locked so even if we try we can't upgrade.  Though Dave will send unlock files if you ask nice and have a good reason. 

TomH said it perfectly. 

Flight Design now ships the Dynon touch in all products made since the Dynon touch came to market....all those planes have the latest Dynon software and are free to upgrade due to their hardware. 

The Dynon Skyviews (non touch) shipped in CT and CTLSi are stuck with the old versions.  By the way, the Rotax voltage regulators are finally arriving.

• 1 month later...

Who is professionally, trained to install in Fla. ?

Cheer

Where did this information come from?  FD USA says there is no word yet on the upgrade. 

What does the announcement look like?  What instructions were given and by whom?

Where did this information come from?  FD USA says there is no word yet on the upgrade. 

What does the announcement look like?  What instruc"SkyView cockpit firmware update version 11.1 fully tested and optimized by

Flight Design is going to be released in April 2015."tions were given and by whom?

"SkyView cockpit firmware update version 11.1 fully tested and optimized by

Flight Design is going to be released in April 2015."

This is my source, I tend to believe him.

Cheers

"SkyView cockpit firmware update version 11.1 fully tested and optimized by

Flight Design is going to be released in April 2015."

This is my source, I tend to believe him.

Cheers

Remember owners.  If FD Germany or FD USA does not inform you directly of such an update via email and/or in writing it is not official.

• 1 month later...

OK, I am confused by this. I have a GTX330, but it looks like I need to have an additional radio for the 6.2 to 11.1 upgrade to work (GTN or GTR 225). Am I missing something? Does "+" mean "or" in Germany?

This is strictly a GUESS.   FD has shipped CTLS with the combos they list.  If somehow you got one without a radio, or you got one with a radio and it was replaced with some other radio other than a GTN or GNC Garmin radio, then half of their + statement likely applies.  Suggest you make sure by calling/emailing FD-USA.

I am guessing I know the answer I will get. This is not from the FD USA site (I wonder if their manuals are in English - it is mandatory that you update your POH.

And, as I said, I have the GTX 330, which is in the description of two of the upgrade sets. (You have a nav radio/ second radio?) I will call on them on Monday if I get around to it.

• 5 weeks later...

Did a long 300nm flight on Dynon V11.1....seemed to work great...love the new moving map display with all the sectional info color coded.  Has a ton of audio now also, and a checklist feature.  The upgrade was done by Lone Mountain during their rewiring of the plane.

Version 12.2 is even better.

Version 12.2 is even better.

The installation of 11.1 in my plane was done by Flight Design service center.  The version they installed has been tested by Flight Design Germany and in Conn. 

I would suggest that you contact Ken Scherado at Lone Mountain or the Director of Maint. at Flight Design USA to verify that what you have done is safe and allowed. 

Anyone else looking to do their own upgrades should also contact Lone Mountain or the Director of Maintenance at Flight Design USA.   The Dynon Skyview software is critical to the safe operation of the aircraft and the control over what versions are allowed in the plane are also strictly tested and released by the company.  Just a word to the wise....

The installation of 11.1 in my plane was done by Flight Design service center.  The version they installed has been tested by Flight Design Germany and in Conn. 

I would suggest that you contact Ken Scherado at Lone Mountain or the Director of Maint. at Flight Design USA to verify that what you have done is safe and allowed. 

Anyone else looking to do their own upgrades should also contact Lone Mountain or the Director of Maintenance at Flight Design USA.   The Dynon Skyview software is critical to the safe operation of the aircraft and the control over what versions are allowed in the plane are also strictly tested and released by the company.  Just a word to the wise....

Once again, before you accuse anyone of anything here or make unsubstantiated assumptions, be sure you have your facts straight.

All the improvements included in version 12.2 are published on the Dynon website.

Like I said before, version 12.2 is better.

Put it this way. It is illegal to install 12.2 on a CT unless it is converted to an ELSA first. I don't doubt it is better, but you cannot change primary instrumentation without the manufacturer's approval. Even if it is "only" software.

Put it this way. It is illegal to install 12.2 on a CT unless it is converted to an ELSA first. I don't doubt it is better, but you cannot change primary instrumentation without the manufacturer's approval. Even if it is "only" software.

While this is true for the factory installation in the CTLS, it may not be true for all CT's. There have been a few people who have gotten LOA's for installation of SkyView units keeping the aircraft as SLSA. You would need to look at the LOA for field installations like Bill has in his SW. Depending on how the LOA is written he may be able to do the latest Dynon updates without being illegal.

Once again, before you accuse anyone of anything here or make unsubstantiated assumptions, be sure you have your facts straight.

All the improvements included in version 12.2 are published on the Dynon website.

Like I said before, version 12.2 is better.

Just checked with Flight Design, 12.2 is NOT released.  No one is to go to Dynon for any update not approved by the company...this has been made clear by Flight Design in published notices in the past.  Good luck...

Tom, I am talking about software upgrades, not hardware. I upgraded via Dynon a while back and was asked to send my units to Dynon to be downgraded beefier the next FD upgrade could be installed.

What you are talking about would only apply to a very small segment of CTs, right?

Archived