2015 Annual Page, AZ Fly-In

Roger Lee

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roger, mack brame here, tried with all my might to get everything to work out, was going to leave this morning, weather was good all the way.

Didnt have the plane so i felt comfortable and my buck deer got hurt very badly last sunday and i had to stich him up...over 30 stiches form a "taxisermist" ME dont figure. Have to be here to remove those stiches this friday. House is falling apart, didnt even have a back door for the past 3 months due to me not having time enought to replace it.It was ad to see the blue tarp leave as i did finally replace the tarp today!

Have only flown 3 maybe 4 times in the past 2 years if that gives you any indication of how littel time i have. I work every minute of every day it seems.

3 surgeries in the past 9 months as well!

Let me know if you want my reservation for the room or should i just cancel, ours is from tuesday the 13th and leave on sunday, is under my wifes name Vicki Brame......please let me know what to do..................

Hope someone keeps this going and we will do our best for next year if there is one, my wife was really upset with me that i cancelled this, just dont feel mentally ready or that the plane is mechnically safe at this moment,,,,,,,,,,,,,YALL have fun!

mack brame

dang... well, next year it is!

Roger reporting 10-12 planes there already, on Tues.  Great weax so far, but Fri & Sat it looks like we'll have some clouds to punctuate the normally clear blue sky. 

Not to cast rain on the parade but it looks like thunderstorms for the weekend.  There is a low off the CA coast moving East.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=PAGE%2C+AZ

Although we had terrible weather this year, I was able to take a few pictures that just might help some of you to make up your mind to come next year.   I thoroughly enjoyed visiting with everyone that showed up.  What a remarkable and diverse group of folks.  Thank you all for making it such a great time.post-648-0-36766400-1445216032_thumb.jpgpost-648-0-36902600-1445216044_thumb.jpgpost-648-0-84238200-1445216057_thumb.jpgpost-648-0-19436500-1445216074_thumb.jpgpost-648-0-83344100-1445216094_thumb.jpgpost-648-0-15653600-1445216112_thumb.jpgpost-648-0-96879300-1445216126_thumb.jpgpost-648-0-09733200-1445216214_thumb.jpgpost-648-0-96248500-1445216252_thumb.jpgpost-648-0-73172000-1445216285_thumb.jpg

post-648-0-94786200-1445215973_thumb.jpg

Glad things did work out for those who could get there. Weather forecasting seems more art than science sometimes. According to my sources the weather around Page Thursday and Friday would not have been flyable. It certainly wasn't at home and our system would move East. Main thing is to stay safe. So...maybe next year.

What a great trip!  Thanks Roger for all the setup... even though you're a dog guy, you do a pretty good job "herding cats", too!

Here's our SPOT tracks from the trip, showing we were able to fly.  The tracks will only show for a week.  Thanks to weather-experienced folks for giving us the courage to fly!   All destinations were visited, including Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Escalante, Bryce/Zion, Bullfrog and the Lake.  There was also a trip to Monticello, Blanding and Colorado!  As it turns out, the moisture and variety of weather made for some really different views.  Everyone used their heads and there weren't any wx-related incidents.  In fact, except for a few impromptu repairs and a minor runway excursion, there were no incidents at all.

I'll try and collect our pics and vids and post some more soon.

Want to jog your memory?.... here are live webcams from the area

post-2-0-88065100-1445274851_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-27581300-1445274875_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-06522200-1445274908_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-63122300-1445281401_thumb.jpg

Thanks Roger & Tim for such a great event. The Pennsylvania group is back home safe & sound. I flew everyday for eight days (44 hrs.) which was the first time ever for me & I started flying in 1975. I ended up flying with Duane & Larry to three different airports, and some of it was in the rain. Two great guys. A good education in density altitude flying. Thanks for making us welcome!

Great news Tip!  'Sounds like you caught some tailwinds.  It sure was nice meeting the PA contingent.  Your weather-flying experience allowed a bunch of us "fair sky fliers" salvage some good flying in spite of the gloomy skies.  

That weather came from CA not PA, in fact it was the 2nd time the same low pressure system came through here. Instead of heading for the east coast it went into Mexico and back into the Pacific and had a 2nd shot at us.  

Sure has been a wet drought in CA this year or at least once winter ended early this year.

It took the guys from PA to teach the guys from AZ how to fly in AZ?  Kinda funny.

Even with an instrument rating and an IMC rated aircraft inclement weather is still something to avoid, correct?  And mountain flying with high DA and mountain wave winds aren't found on the east coast are they?

Another great CT gathering!  They only get better even when, as for the first time this year, the weather is not perfect.  Thank you Roger and Tim for the work you have put into this each year to make it happen.  Best Fly-in I go to each year (the only one Lisa will go to and the only one she will not miss)!  

Welcome to the many new faces that came for their first time this year.  Hoping to see you all again next year, and the next, and the next...  And for those past attendees who did not make it or have not come for awhile put this on your calendar for 2016...make new friends, reacquaint with old friends, and experience flying in a part of this great country like no other place.  

Finally, for the many CT (and other LSA) owners and pilots out there who follow the forum but have never been to Page...you are missing out on a great time, wonderful flying, and some of the best people you will meet.  Plus a unique opportunity to pick the brains and the tap into the experience of some of the top CT pilots and technicians in our community.

Lisa and I can hardly wait for next year!

Even with an instrument rating and an IMC rated aircraft inclement weather is still something to avoid, correct?  And mountain flying with high DA and mountain wave winds aren't found on the east coast are they?

Your right in that if there is a storm in a place like the high Sierra then almost all flights should be canceled.  Sometimes conditions are marginal.

For me in my CT the big issue is obscuration.  I can fly in the rain or snow as long as I can avoid icing and can see. When even the passes are obscured then I can't stay legal VFR.

Waves are found in the east, its more a terrain feature thing then just elevation.

Archived