Carb rebuild

Rich

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I searched the web and found a site with total info on the conversion. Total cost in this case was $500 for the new E-LSA Reg.

It would be more costly, but if you had the time and inclination you could do the 120 hour course and keep the airplane SLSA.

It would be more costly, but if you had the time and inclination you could do the 120 hour course and keep the airplane SLSA.

I did the 120 hour course, and have remained SLSA. But, I am still considering ELSA. Local DAR will do it for $200.

IrishAl, on 01 Mar 2015 - 08:47 AM, said:IrishAl, on 01 Mar 2015 - 08:47 AM, said:IrishAl, on 01 Mar 2015 - 08:47 AM, said:

Rich - would you be prepared to say what it is that's driving your interest in going ELSA - is it the right to do your own maintenance, or cost saving, or the right to make modifications like fitting a VP prop?

Irish Al,

Cost savings is a plus but not my main concern. I'd rather do the work myself as I've become skeptical after a very bad experience at a shop at Lancaster, PA airport. Please read opening post on this tread. Not only was that the problem, but my wings were damaged and the shop takes no responsibility. I have to turn in the damage to my insurance company, which will now be a claim against me and future premiums.

Hopefully they'll subrogate and take these people to court.

I built a Challenger 11 LSS and did my own work for three years and was very comfortable with that. No problems!

I'm not saying I'm an expert on Rotax engines by no means, but I can follow directions, read a manual and am very mechanical.

I'm not interested in making any modifications.

I'll be calling a DAR when I get back to the states.

I share a lot of your views on this.  

Big companies with big reputations don't always guarantee good service.....

In fact, they regularly provide the opposite as you may have an inexperienced or disinterested employee doing your work.

I recall waiting for my car one Friday evening at a Vauxhall (GM) dealer and the waiting room had a glass wall where you could see into the workshop.  I watched a kid start up a car after servicing it and oil poured out of the bottom all over the floor.  I said, "I'm glad that's not my car!"  The fellow standing next to me said,"That is my car!" 

I always look for smaller operations where the owner is on the shop floor, or even better, doing the work himself. 

• 5 months later...

One note on E-LSA vs S-LSA.  A buyer has no idea if an E-LSA meets the ASTM standards as they were when the aircraft was first built.  An E-LSA must to be built according to the plans (or have been an S-LSA prior).  No changes from the approved plans are permitted prior to DAR inspection.  But once it has an experimental pink slip, all bets are off.  Any modifications can be made, so there is no telling what was messed with.  That's where I see the large loss of value and disinterest in buying a used E-LSA. 

I could be wrong, I believe E-LSAs have additional flight restrictions...populated areas?
I might be confusing the restriction. 

I could be wrong, I believe E-LSAs have additional flight restrictions...populated areas?

I might be confusing the restriction.

Really no practical difference.

Here's the relevant page of my Operating Limitations:

8421801462_5591a73265_c.jpg

While #8 seems limiting, #9 includes the same language as "Minimum Safe Altitude - Anywhere".

Yes, one would have to make sure any modifications made to an E-LSA were safe, appropriate and desireable. But it's not like people don't somewhat cavalierly make mods to S-LSA's as well - so those should be checked equally well.

Eddie, the VFR day restriction is interesting.  So even if flown by a PP and the airplane meets all requirements for night night flight (lighting, etc)...it's still restricted to daytime use.

The "congested area" and "densely populated area" limitations are essentially the same as for any E-AB airplane.  You should *always* be flying in a manner such that in an engine failure situation you could make a safe landing without undue hazard to other people or property, so that is a sort of "non-limitation limitation" anyway. 

The many E-AB pilots I know just fly their airplanes like any other.

Eddie, the VFR day restriction is interesting.  So even if flown by a PP and the airplane meets all requirements for night night flight (lighting, etc)...it's still restricted to daytime use.

The "congested area" and "densely populated area" limitations are essentially the same as for any E-AB airplane.  You should *always* be flying in a manner such that in an engine failure situation you could make a safe landing without undue hazard to other people or property, so that is a sort of "non-limitation limitation" anyway. 

The many E-AB pilots I know just fly their airplanes like any other.

Andy, the VFR restriction is for phase one flight testing, after that if it is equipped per 91.205 for night flight it may be flown at night by a private pilot.

What Tom said.

Each restriction: congested areas, VFR, night - is either for the testing phase* or addressed by a subsequent passage.

*And there may never be a testing phase - none is required upon conversion from S-LSA, and subsequently only required for a major alteration, which in my opinion would be very rare.

Archived