FAA encourages LSA towards ADS-B

Doug G.

If you have Dynon's ADS-B and the Garmin 796 you are compliant.

Unfortunately that is just not true. I wish it were and you want to believe it is given what you experience in your plane. But if you ask the FAA or Dynon you will confirm otherwise. Feel free to e-mail 9-AWA-AFS-300-ADSB-AvionicsCheck@faa.gov with your N-number and see for yourself. In my case and with identical equipment as you, the FAA responded as quoted below. Incidentally, Dynon kindly answered my inquiries on this subject -- and I posted their response in another thread

Items high-lighted in red within this report indicate the ADS-B Out system installed on this aircraft failed to meet the corresponding performance requirement as specified in §91.227.

Unfortunately that is just not true. I wish it were and you want to believe it is given what you experience in your plane. But if you ask the FAA or Dynon you will confirm otherwise. Feel free to e-mail 9-AWA-AFS-300-ADSB-AvionicsCheck@faa.gov with your N-number and see for yourself. In my case and with identical equipment as you, the FAA responded as quoted below. Incidentally, Dynon kindly answered my inquiries on this subject -- and I posted their response in another thread

Items high-lighted in red within this report indicate the ADS-B Out system installed on this aircraft failed to meet the corresponding performance requirement as specified in §91.227.

The FAA announced a re-interpretation of the mandate to allow experimental and S-LSA to have NON TSOd equipment to meet the mandate, including non TSOd WAAS/GPS like the Garmin 796.  ADS-B out is also satisfied by Dynons gear.

In any case, here is the FAA announcement for your review:  https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2015/02/09/2015-02579/automatic-dependent-surveillance-broadcast-ads-b-out-performance-requirements-to-support-air-traffic

And here is a more plain explanation of the FAA announcement:  http://generalaviationnews.com/2015/02/09/faa-correction-opens-door-for-lower-cost-ads-b/

The FAA says as long as the non TSOd equipment used to provide ADS-B out and the GPS/WAAS input source provide the same level of capability as TSOd equipment, then it meets the intent and letter of the 2020 mandate.

In regard to what FD is offering, the Dynon ADS-B and Garmin 796 GPS/WAAS do in fact meet the non TSOd 2020 mandate.  I have been receiving and sending ADS-B in/out for over a year with perfect results.

Tom -- the SIL and SDA values are fixed by the manufacturer so Dynon could set this to the appropriate values IF the GPS conforms to the performance standard.  Were there any other parameters marked as 'red' in the FAA report for your installation?

For those curious about what a report looks like the following is the result from a Skyguard unit:  http://jeffsplanes.com/KR/2013-2/SkyguardTXW%20Test%20Flight.pdf

The only thing non-compliant in this case is the missing pressure altitude and SDA value. 

Were there any other parameters marked as 'red' in the FAA report for your installation?

Yes. I asked and got an explanation but I'm not sure I recall the specifics. Maybe you know this stuff better?  I attached the two sections.

post-948-0-93987500-1426463181_thumb.png

post-948-0-70166500-1426463182_thumb.png

NIC is the Navigation Integrity Category so your above results mean that your GPS does not meet the performance spec and would need a different source to be compliant with the 2020 mandate.  These results are consistent with those I've seen from another Skyview equipped plane.

Archived