Around the lake Michigan and Badlands National Park (April~June)

liltaka

We are planning to do 2 trips in upcoming months.

1. Around the lake Michigan April 4~7

2. Badlands National Park in May or June

Does anyone would like to join us on either trips or useful tips/information?

Plan 1 - April 4~7

1st day

- PM: KIGQ - KMGN (Harbor Springs)

2nd day

- AM: KMGN - KMCD (Mackinaw Island for lunch)

- PM: P2P - KSUE (Door County, WI)

3rd day

- PM: KSUE - KIGQ

4th day (if necessary)

Plan 2 - End of May or June (TBD)

1st day

- PM: KIGQ - Somewhere in north western Iowa

2nd day

- AM: NW Iowa - 6V4

- PM: Badlands National Park

3rd day

- AM: Badlands National Park

- PM: 6V4 - NW Iowa

4th day

- AM: NW Iowa to KIGQ

5th day (if necessary)

Reference the Badlands, nearest paved with cross wind runways is Rapid City (does get windy out there). Wall Dug is closest, but only one runway, and Rapid would give access to rental car to visit the Badlands up close & personal. Be aware going into Rapid, there is an AFB only a few miles away with a similar layout. Also be aware of pretty active MOA's in the area, and recommend coming & going at pretty high altitude if flight following desired (effective radar coverage is pretty sparse at lower altitudes in that area). Beautiful country!

robthart,

Thanks for the info, I see that KRAP has runway 05/23 & 14/32 and many lodging & rent a car options.

I just checked wind conditions now and it is 22-30 @ 360...I would not fly in that conditions.

We hope May / June are not windy months in western South Dakota.

We have to plan this carefully.

There's not much in NW Iowa. A few years ago, I flew into many of the airports regularly. If you need many services, you might want to consider Sioux Falls, SD, Joe Foss Field. It's right in the SE corner of SD. Sioux City is probably too far south.

Mason City is OK if it is not too far east (departure point for The Day The Music Died). Fort Dodge if not too far south. If they don't work, then Sheldon and Spencer are possible, but not very fancy. Most of the others may be unstaffed. Good idea to call if thinking of using them.

This may be out of your way, but I recommend Stanton Airfield, south of Minneapolis. It is a good grass field with cross runways, home to a very well respected CT dealer and maintenance facility, and they have 91 octane at the pump.

Nothing to eat there, but Northfield, MN 7 miles away if you can bum a ride.

I would check with Stanton before going there. We've had some warm days, but they got a lot of snow this winter. If it is good it is a fun little airport to visit.

You are going to the wrong Badlands though. The ND Badlands are more interesting - buffalo, wild horses, prairie dogs, mountain sheep, antelope, and Theodore Roosevelt National Park plus the musical at at the Burning Hills Amphitheatre and (from what I hear) an amazing golf course.

Archived