WingX for Android!

CT4ME

There's been a hint on their webpage for the last week, with a little Android character peeking out from behind a tablet, but it's official now.... WingX for Android will be released "soon".

Android-Aviator-Logo180.png

Great news for those who'd rather not do iPad... and can take advantage of the plethora of lower-cost Android devices.

Let's hope it isn't buggy, and has the same feature set as the iPad version.

Remember, in the Android world there are many variables: companies, versions of Android, hardware variations, screen-sizes, etc.  If you're planning on using an Android device, I'd stay with a mainstream unit or at least understand why there might be problems if you stray from center.

The IFly app is, indeed, very nice.  I love that it's the same on both platforms.  But, it and Naviator are just a bit less polished than FF or WX or GP.  That's why, at the same price, WX gets my money.  I was going to buy a sub to IFly, just because it worked in both Worlds, but maybe not now.

Also, while you're talking about Android, IFly GPS is in the process of releasing version 9.0 for IFly devices as well as Android and Apple.  It's rather amazing actually.  At the same time, Naviator is rolling out stitched charts.  There are a lot of excellent choices out there.  This supports the theory that a panel mounted captive device will never be as good as the latest tablet apps.  There is just too much time lag.

I know you aren't kidding.  The panel mount devices from Garmin and Dynon are FAR superior to anything offered on an iPad.  The non reflective glare proof glass for starters.  Garmin and Dynon both now have full 10.5 inch touch screens.  And an all glass panel is also setup for redundancy with the dual ADHRS and embedded power source from the aircraft.  And interconnected to the navcom, radios etc.

Dynon and Garmin are where aviation software innovation and advancements ORIGINATE.  The apps written for iPad are far less capable.

The iPad apps are an okay a substitute as an EFB or flight planning.  But limited because the flight plan is isolated from the aircraft and cant be flown by the autopilot as is possible in a Garmin.

And it's good to see WingX ported to Android which I agree is better gear than Apples stuff.  iFly seems to be sorta back in business, btw, I noticed they are shipping updates again, but they are mired down in a lawsuit still. 

• 2 weeks later...

There's "Announced"... and then there's "Released"... unfortunately, it's only been announced.  Optimistically, sometime in Q2 we'll be able to play with it.   or later.

Yes. The story was a little misleading, he spoke as if it was present tense.  There is no release.....yet.

• 4 months later...

The Android version is available on the Google Play Store now (as of 9/3/15).  It works, but 'not very feature-rich at this time, missing much of what makes the IOS version so good.  Updates are expected to eventually bring the Android version up to parity... but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Archived