Never flown through mountains

Doug G.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CT, a couple of questions about the Durango route - I know Durango is in the mountains. Where would your stop before and after be? Or isn't altitude a problem.

Also would you fly into LaPlata-Durango or Animas?

Durango to Page is easy, approaching Durango does have terrain above 10k to cross.  Pick and airway like V210 and cross at 12,000' or go to New Mexico.  I still like the Casper route better.

If you need help climbing to 12,000' zero flaps makes a big difference and of course use WOT.

Durango to Page is easy, approaching Durango does have terrain above 10k to cross.  Pick and airway like V210 and cross at 12,000' or go to New Mexico.  I still like the Casper route better.

If you need help climbing to 12,000' zero flaps makes a big difference and of course use WOT.

Climb to 12k in your little Flight Design and be ready to CFIT.    LIke I said, Tango likes to take risks in his machine....others should not do it unless you want real trouble.  You get any kind of downdraft, or turbulence at 12k over mountain in a Flight Design and you are toast.

I don't think there is any issue at 12k over a 10K peak. No real difference flying over a 6k peak at 8k. Just higher up.

There is one major difference, at 8,000' your CT can develop full cruise power (75% or 75hp) but at 12,000+ you won't be able to produce 60%, your max hp will be in the fifties.  To make matters worse your prop isn't optimized for 12,000'+.

Bottom line is the amount of reserve power available for climbing is very little at 12,000' so you will be unable to even maintain altitude when you encounter sink.

A 2nd difference is pilot performance.  Above 12,000' O2 levels take their toll.

Not being experienced at flying a low hp normally aspirated airplane at those altitudes, personally, I would take a more easterly route and then cut straight across.  Even if you add 3 hours each way, it's still 2 days down and 2 days home, as far as I can tell.

Too boring, best idea is to plan 3 days out and 2 days back.  

• Out
    • Day 1 fight head wind and make Wyoming
    • Day 2 tour Yellowstone either from air or on the ground or both
    • Day 3 Fly south to Page over Canyon Lands and Arches and the rare beauty that is Utah
  • Back
    • Day 1 Make Casper
    • Day 2 enjoy the tailwind

I've been trying to get Google Earth to show me the flight, all I have managed so far is having it jump from Casper to Page. Any hints?

Create a path with the tool from the tool bar.  Set the path's altitude to 3,048m  use tools / touring and set the camera angle to 60*

After creating the path use the touring tool to fly the path.

When you take the tour the various markers are clickable for photos and stats on the mts ...etc.

I don't think there is any issue at 12k over a 10K peak. No real difference flying over a 6k peak at 8k. Just higher up.

The diff is you are toying with the ceiling of the aircraft in terrain that can bite you.  See POH 2.9 below.

post-940-0-99124200-1429578327_thumb.jpg

That isn't even close to a CT ceiling. FD says 14K, Rotax says 16k and I have two friends that have been over 18k. Many of us that have flown cross countries over tall mnts. have been to 12-14K numerous times. Anyone who flies around the Rockies or the Sierra's have been there prob ably multiple times. When we fly from at the Page,AZ fly in and go over the Grand Canyon from the south to the north are all at 11.5-12K. Personally if I could fly around a 10K peak without a huge detour I probably would, but if it was too far out of my way I would just over fly.

When you get to those altitudes prop pitch makes a big difference. Charlie Tango's pitch is flatter than many of ours. He does a much better job up at those altitudes than we do since he lives there. Back in 2008 he and I were flying over the Grand Canyon at the Page Fly-In at 11.5K. He went full throttle and got his 5500 rpm and I only got 5150 rpm. He walked away from me like I was standing still. My prop at the time was only set for 4.5K. Prop pitch can be everything if setup right or wrong.

Archived