Light Sport Commercial Ops Coming?

Doug G.

You'll still have to have a commercial ticket though, I'm sure.

Yes.  They don't mean a sport pilot can suddenly work for hire.  So the notion is nonsense since the FD is already used by the cops.  I have seen the CTLS full loaded with cameras etc for a the Tulare, Co in California being worked on at Lone Mountain.  http://flightdesignusa.com/2011/03/flight-design-ctls-used-for-police-patrol/

So, a commercial pilot carrying a single passenger for pay seems oddly comical...esp considering how slow LSAs are...maybe an air taxi service between airports in a big metro area?  Who knows....

Yes.  They don't mean a sport pilot can suddenly work for hire.  So the notion is nonsense since the FD is already used by the cops.  

It's not nonsense.  The CTLE gets a law enforcement exemption to the FAA rules.  A company that wants to run an LSA for legitimate commercial uses can't do it at all under current rules.  

Law enforcement is not a commercial operation.

It's not nonsense.  The CTLE gets a law enforcement exemption to the FAA rules.  A company that wants to run an LSA for legitimate commercial uses can't do it at all under current rules.  

Law enforcement is not a commercial operation.

Law Enforcement is PAID to make the flights.   Sure it's commercial.  The plane I saw was not a CTLE...it was a CTLS with added gear (it had CTLS on the tail).  Read the article on it:  http://flightdesignusa.com/2011/03/flight-design-ctls-used-for-police-patrol/

If the FAA issued an exemption for Law Enforcement it applies to the PILOT, not the aircraft.  No doubt most cop pilots are privates not commercially licensed.

A commercial pilot can fly anything they want and get paid.  My son is a commercial hot air balloon pilot for example.  He takes people up for pay in a balloon no different than any other balloon a sport pilot with the category can fly.

FastEddieB, law enforcement is exempt. I know what the limitations say, and I've brought that up in conversations, but it doesn't apply.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I actually talked to the FSDO about it. Time to ask!

EDIT: FSDO says commercial. Noted! :D

Commercial license was a requirement for the Dade County Aviation Department.

I think if one reads about Private Pilot limitations, it's reasonably clear what a Private Pilot can and cannot do.

We are talking about aircraft, not pilots.  The CTLE has a law enforcement exemption to be able to operate in a commercial capacity, in spite of not being otherwise a commercial-eligible aircraft.  For the purposes of AIRCRAFT, law enforcement is not commercial in my mind because they can exempt and use whatever they want.  They can use Part 103 ultralights if they choose to.

As I see it, the big difference is in whether the operation is conducted for "profit" or not. A municipal law enforcement dept. would not fall under that definition.

Law enforcement is NOT paid to make flights..............yet.

Mr. Morden,

I agree that there is a big difference between "aircraft" and "airmen", with regard to privileges (if I understand you correctly).

Doug Hereford

The article is about planes, not pilots. UAVs are now being allowed to fly for commercial purposes. Could that be a motivating factor? The drones, to this point, are being flown by people with no sort of license at all.

Actually I had a young man stop in the other day who went to Florida for 3 weeks to get his private pilot, so he could operate a drone for his company.

I had another young man ask about training just a few weeks prior. To me it sounds like there are some who are going to try and follow the drone rules.

I was responding to this assertion:

"No doubt most cop pilots are privates not commercially licensed."

I think that's wrong, given the limitations of a Private Pilot.

If it is a true public use operation then the pilot is not required to have a FAA issued pilot certificate. That does not stop the agency from using the FAA pilot certification system requirements for their pilots.

Actually I had a young man stop in the other day who went to Florida for 3 weeks to get his private pilot, so he could operate a drone for his company.

I had another young man ask about training just a few weeks prior. To me it sounds like there are some who are going to try and follow the drone rules.

Yes, I know someone who is getting a private pilot's license in part planning for the future of his drone business

The reason companies require it is because of liability and because the high end octocopters can run $15k plus the cost of a commercial video camera (these folks don't use GoPros).

It takes two people to fly them on a shoot. The pilot and the camera operator.

Is that true?

I'm eager to be corrected when I have something wrong.

That is what I have been told by people operating public use aircraft. I am pretty sure the military doesn't require a civilian pilot certificate, and they are the biggest operator of public use aircraft.

That is what I have been told by people operating public use aircraft. I am pretty sure the military doesn't require a civilian pilot certificate, and they are the biggest operator of public use aircraft.

Having been a military pilot, I am 100% sure a civilian pilot certificate is not required.

Archived