Light Sport Commercial Ops Coming?

Doug G.

I have often wondered what the gaps are between mil pilots and us civvies...I know the military often have procedures that are not the same as civilians. Traffic patterns are one example. Obviously if under ATC control everybody just obeys, but left to our own devices, I wonder how often a civilian pilot does something unexpected to a military pilot, and vice versa.

The military and the FAA cooperate to avoid accidents. However, for the military, it's anything goes inside of the MOAs and those pop up live fire zones (can't remember what they are called). They have their own procedures for watching for traffic and shutting down maneuvers if a civilian aircraft enters one of those MOAs/zones when they aren't in contact.

But, if I were to rank them, I'm pretty sure the military can tell the FAA to pound sand :)

The military and the FAA cooperate to avoid accidents. However, for the military, it's anything goes inside of the MOAs and those pop up live fire zones (can't remember what they are called). They have their own procedures for watching for traffic and shutting down maneuvers if a civilian aircraft enters one of those MOAs/zones when they aren't in contact.

But, if I were to rank them, I'm pretty sure the military can tell the FAA to pound sand :)

Depends on what they're saying.  The AF has been trying for years to get Travis uprated to Class C.  The FAA has told them to pound sand.

I have often wondered what the gaps are between mil pilots and us civvies...I know the military often have procedures that are not the same as civilians. Traffic patterns are one example. Obviously if under ATC control everybody just obeys, but left to our own devices, I wonder how often a civilian pilot does something unexpected to a military pilot, and vice versa.

I flew over Nellis AFB (KLSV) routinely from N. Las Vegas (KVGT).  When flying northeast and back again southwest you always have to talk to Nellis Approach. When leaving KVGT you are given a squawk code and Nellis approach frequency, a heading and released from frequency and directed to make contact before entering McCarrans Bravo.   Nellis is IN McCarrans Bravo (sfc to 10k feet) but N. Las Vegas is under a shelf.

The controllers sound young but otherwise they are no different than any other ATC.  The jets that fly in and out of Nellis are the big boys, leaving in the morning and returning late in the day around 5pm so you never interact with them flying over Nellis airfield.  And of course they have their own frequencies.

Military aircraft from Nellis usually took off northwest and flew out to their restricted areas or to California.  Often you see military aircraft flying thru McCarran Bravo over the top of KVGT to points south also.  It's all mixed together.

Here is a partial list:

A-10 Thunderbolt II

F-15 Eagle

F-15E Strike Eagle

F-16 Fighting Falcon

F-22A Raptor

HH-60G Pave Hawk

F-35A Lightning II

Guest aircraft:

B1-B Lancer Bomber

C130 Hercules

Archived