Garmin 696 - Final Approach

stevez2436

My CTLS came with the Garmin 696 and I'm discovering new features everyday. I just learned an "Approach" can be loaded for any airport that has one available, and provides guidance for non-precision and precision approaches to airports with published instrument approach procedures. I realize it is not designed to be used for flight into instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) or other conditions in which aircraft control is based solely upon flight instruments, but was wondering if forum members are "Activating Approaches" for their VFR flights into airports. How are you using it and was wondering if it has helped anyone who ran into trouble say with MVFR conditions?

You think that is neat. Couple it to your AP, then adjust glide slope rate. Victors are useful also.

Yes, I have the TruTrak autopilot and it is outstanding when linked to a Garmin 696 Flight Plan ... it follows every waypoint to the destination airport.

So, how does that work when linking autopilot to an Active Approach? Does it take you straight in? What do you mean by adjust glide slope rate? Do you mean set to VSR displayed on the Garmin? This is all new to me so any tips would be great!

Stevez2436

Angel hit on, to me, a very useful tool. Using either the obs number you enter or the published approach, try the following. (NOTE: I'm a 496, but ASSUME the operations are similar) In the GPS, set target destination for zero feet. Set your VRN for the rate you prefer - I use 400fpm. Set on the GPS screen the 'rate to target (I'm not sure what it is really called) display. Lets say inbound at 3000AGL. With AP on NAV mode, intercept the approach and let the AP stabilize. Assuming here you are BELOW the calculate GS. (I fly the HSI for almost all my activities) When the the little bar on the side of the GPS/HSI reaches the center point, your target rate should read on/near 400fpm. Set the AP (right button ALT) for 400ft down. Adjust power, etc to fly that config. Maintaining watchful eye on the GPS indication (GPS/HSI), adjust AP rate and power as needed. I disengage about 30 seconds out. (This can be shown on the GPS screen also) I've found that the TT/AP does a great job adjusting for power and flap changes. Just be prepared for the AP to re-establish the config.

Spend some time with the manuals, and work out various approaches.

The GPS has several approach plates built in. Pay attention to which you use. I've found the GPS APPROACH items to work very well. And as Angel stated, using the OBS to establish an approach works well for various situations. I've found that the intercept of an OBS line can be done at any point along the line. That is, establish a heading (AP STEER)that will intercept the OBS line. Change to NAV mode. Current HDG/TRK will hold until intercept of the OBS line. An actual way-point on the OBS line is not required. At least, that has been my experience, and a very useful tool for establishing long straight approach to non-familiar locations.

Hope this helps.

Archived