Small N-Numbers

FlyingMonkey

I've always hated the huge N-Numbers on my CT.  They look especially weird and awkward on a tail boom that narrows as it goes back to the empennage.

FAR 45.29( b )(iii) says:

(iii) Marks at least 3 inches high may be displayed on an aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate under §21.191 (d), §21.191 (g), or §21.191 (i) of this chapter to operate as an exhibition aircraft, an amateur-built aircraft, or a light-sport aircraft when the maximum cruising speed of the aircraft does not exceed 180 knots CAS;

Has anybody put 3" N-Numbers on their CTSW?  If so, do you like it better?  I have a friend who does vinyl graphics for a living and will make the numbers for free.  

Unless you make it a ELSA you are stuck with the big numbers.

Incorrect.  3 inches is allowed for SLSA.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC%2045-2D.pdf

Also, you must have a current medical and have a private pilot license minimum to fly into Mexico (international).  No sport pilot may fly as PIC into Mexico.  But a 12 inch N number is required on the aircraft flown.

Incorrect.  3 inches is allowed for SLSA.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC%2045-2D.pdf

Also, you must have a current medical and have a private pilot license minimum to fly into Mexico (international).  No sport pilot may fly as PIC into Mexico.  But a 12 inch N number is required on the aircraft flown.

First off Advisory Circulars are not regulatory. The Advisory Circular says:

Experimental aircraft—exhibition, amateur-built, and light-sport aircraft with a maximum cruising speed of 180 knots or less

Notice that Light Sport Aircraft is under the heading of Experimental.

The actual regulation says, (iii) Marks at least 3 inches high may be displayed on an aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate under §21.191 (d), §21.191 (g), or §21.191 (i) of this chapter to operate as an exhibition aircraft, an amateur-built aircraft, or a light-sport aircraft when the maximum cruising speed of the aircraft does not exceed 180 knots CAS;

This goes along with the AC. Make note that this exemption on size is regulated to aircraft with a airworthiness certificate issued under CFR 21.191. SLSA airworthiness certificates are issued under CFR 21.190. 

If you're going E-LSA, why not go ahead now?  If it makes sense later, doesn't it make sense sooner?

Sure.  But the company that holds the note on my airplane will not allow it.  So once it's paid off, it will change over.  I'm paying it off as quickly as I can, hopefully it will be free and clear in a couple of years.

• 1 year later...

Any opinions on making the salsa to Elsa move appreciated. Specifically any regrets at trade in / resale time?

Here are the rules:  https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert/airworthiness_certification/sp_awcert/experiment/expt_operating/

The value of an aircraft is dependent on several factors - the quality of maintenance documented is a major one of them...

The value of a used airplane is based on one thing.  What is someone willing to pay for it?  An SLSA will always be worth more than an ELSA all other things being equal.

I just sold a CTLSi.   I talked to 30 potential buyers.  Every one of them cared more about the maintenance logs and who/what/when work was done as anything on the plane itself.

I own a 2006 CTsw.  Converted to E-LSA a few years ago and took the 16 hour inspector class.  Now I do all the maintenance I feel comfortable doing, make modifications I think are useful (e.g., installing a 5-point harness, upgrading to Vision AP) and complete my annual condition inspections.

For me, this was a big improvement.  I'm not planning on selling anytime soon and I have no regrets.  

Archived