Thinking of Flying to Oshkosh

FlyingMonkey

Like Eddie said there are charging stations, and they are on the honor system. I doubt you will have any problem in the area where you will be camping. The only problem area is where you will be dealing with non aviation public.

One time when I had my CT parked in the Flight Design display I had a Flight Design ball cap that I wore part of the time along with my floppy hat. I was not wearing the ball cap and had placed it on the hat shelf in my airplane. Someone took the hat, probably think it was a Flight Design promotional item. In this case the airplane was parked right inside the front gate where you had all the general public walking through.

On the flipside A couple years ago I was walking down the road when a young man came running up with a $100 dollar bill in his hand. He thought I had dropped it. Now he could have just picked it up and kept going, but he didn't. When I told him it wasn't mine he was genuinely worried about what to do with it. I told him where lost and found was, and he turned and headed towards lost and found to turn it in.

The last example is more representative of the people who attend Oshkosh, and I really doubt you will have any problems with your items disappearing while charging at a station.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bought this last month.  It seems to be good quality and comes with a lot of adapters to run most electronic equipment/computers.  It is deceptively small for it's power. The complete system with lithium battery unit is in a woven (Nylon?) zip pack that's about 2x6x8".  I started my CTSW and it turned the engine like the spark plugs were removed. Then took it over to my Ford pickup with 4.0L V6 engine and did the same.  The unit showed 100% power remaing afterwards.  The jumper cable is large gage (#10?) with quality plug-in connector to the battery pack and nice battery clamps.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-al-jp16-mini-multi-function-jump-starter.html

As a side note...

Pet peeve: once they get over 1,000 mAH, why don't they just give it in amp/hours?

Maybe because  25,600 mAh seems bigger than 25.6 Ah?

People who don't know electrons or math will not understand that "milli" means thousandths, and their brains will be confounded.  I guess at least this way the numbers are all consistent without conversions.  :)

Bought this last month.  It seems to be good quality and comes with a lot of adapters to run most electronic equipment/computers.  It is deceptively small for it's power. The complete system with lithium battery unit is in a woven (Nylon?) zip pack that's about 2x6x8".  I started my CTSW and it turned the engine like the spark plugs were removed. Then took it over to my Ford pickup with 4.0L V6 engine and did the same.  The unit showed 100% power remaing afterwards.  The jumper cable is large gage (#10?) with quality plug-in connector to the battery pack and nice battery clamps.

Wow, that's pretty tricky Dick (see what I did there?)...A jumper and a phone/tablet charger in one.  I might need one!  How many and what amperage are the USB outputs?

People who don't know electrons or math will not understand that "milli" means thousandths, and their brains will be confounded.  I guess at least this way the numbers are all consistent without conversions.   :)

It's about the metric system, not math.  Other terms confusing to anyone not familiar with the metric system are liter, kilo, deci, newton, kilopascal, and mega...

Hi Andy.  First of all let me say, "I am not a crook".  :eyebrow-1057: Yeah, I am old enough to vividly recall the Nixon years.  Guess he just led the way for our present day climate of

political corruption.

Believe the USB is 5V @ 2A but not sure.  This little battery is pretty amazing.  It would run a computer for many hours (days?).  Probably run a smart phone for a few weeks?   My mission for it is to toss it into my diddy bag and use for backing up my Odyssey battery when on trips.  Just don't trust the Odyssey after having one go bad and knowing of other owners who have had dead batteries while away from home.  Then too, one could power ADS-B or backup avionics with this without running power cables.

It's about the metric system, not math.  Other terms confusing to anyone not familiar with the metric system are liter, kilo, deci, newton, kilopascal, and mega...

milli-, kilo-, etc don't have anything to do with the metric system, they are latin prefixes that can apply to anything.  Ever heard of a kiloton?  It's a thousand tons, and nowhere near metric.  ;)

Hi Andy.  First of all let me say, "I am not a crook".  :eyebrow-1057: Yeah, I am old enough to vividly recall the Nixon years.  Guess he just led the way for our present day climate of

political corruption.

Believe the USB is 5V @ 2A but not sure.  This little battery is pretty amazing.  It would run a computer for many hours (days?).  Probably run a smart phone for a few weeks?   My mission for it is to toss it into my diddy bag and use for backing up my Odyssey battery when on trips.  Just don't trust the Odyssey after having one go bad and knowing of other owners who have had dead batteries while away from home.  Then too, one could power ADS-B or backup avionics with this without running power cables.

The only reason I ask is because when I fly my iPad is on a 2.4A charger, but because I run it at full brightness to see it in the cockpit, it still slow drains.  I was just wondering how well the USB output would charge a device while it was running.  I'd probably not be running anything from it at full brightness like in the cockpit, so 2A might work, and would certainly be adequate for charging while not running.  I like the idea of this gadget a lot!

If you are going to claim relevance to the metric system you might spell litre correctly !

You may want to read this, milli and kilo are certainly metric references.  http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/common.html

Jeez, just because the prefixes are used in metric, does not mean they are related other than by their use.  It's like claiming the prefix "auto-" is an aviation-specific term because it's used in the word "autopilot".

Please explain how the following words are metric:

Millipede

Centenarian

Kiloton

Decade

Gigabyte

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numeral_prefix

Bought this last month. It seems to be good quality and comes with a lot of adapters to run most electronic equipment/computers. It is deceptively small for it's power. The complete system with lithium battery unit is in a woven (Nylon?) zip pack that's about 2x6x8". I started my CTSW and it turned the engine like the spark plugs were removed. Then took it over to my Ford pickup with 4.0L V6 engine and did the same. The unit showed 100% power remaing afterwards. The jumper cable is large gage (#10?) with quality plug-in connector to the battery pack and nice battery clamps.

Looks like this is the same thing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MG687JW/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?qid=1432739106&sr=8-9π=AC_SX110_SY165&keywords=multifunction+jump+starter#

Hi Doug.  Looks like the same but better price than I paid.  Not sure where seller is located at Amazon?  I know this is Chineese stuff but FWIW  I try to buy from a seller who's an establlished store in the U.S. in hopes that some of the money I pay remains here.

Seriously, I think the same thing when a product advertises 2,000,000 micrograms of X!

I guess is does sound a lot more impressive than just saying 2 grams!

If a normal use is 10 micrograms, it makes sense to list products in micrograms.  If a normal use is 1,000,000 micrograms, grams work fine!   :D

Archived