A cautionary tale

FlyingMonkey

When I was in Brasstown, NC (a small grass strip) this weekend, I didn't realize that the airplane was parked on an incline with the left wing lower than the right. Over the course of our stay, fuel transfered right to left, until the left wing tank was full, then fuel sloshed out through the vent. When we returned a couple of hours later the left wing was dripping wet with fuel.

I think I only lost a gallon or two, but it was a mess. I reversed the airplane for an hour or so and let fuel drain back the other way, and mopped up the excess fuel. No harm done, but beware - it can happen. My fuel valve was closed, BTW.

The fuel circuit is open from tank to tank and the fuel shut off only cuts it off to the engine. We learned at the first Page Fly-In not to park with a wing low. Always turn your plane so it is either straight up hill or down, but not sideways. This can happen if you jack up one wing in the shop fairly high with a lot of fuel onboard.

Also: Our aircraft have small carry through vent lines from tank to tank as well (required for certification on gravity feed systems to keep air pressure balanced), so plugging the tank vent won't stop crossover. But, it will stop any from spilling out at least if you HAVE to park unevenly.

Great tip, and sorry to hear about the incident Morden...

As I said, no harm done, just an FYI to others. I knew the T before the fuel valve transfers fuel (if I leave my plane overnight the tanks are magically equalized), it just didn't occur to me that when parked the transfer would happen that quickly. My tanks went from about 12 gallons each to right 5 and left overflowing in a couple of hours....quicker than I would expect, given the slope of the hill.

Archived