Sonex CEO Killed in Plane Crash

FlyingMonkey

For those of you who don't know, the CEO of Sonex Aircraft, Jeremy Monnett, died yesterday in a crash at Sonex's home field of Wittman Airport (Oshkosh).  Sonex assembly mechanic Mike Clark also died in the crash.  Jeremy was the son of Sonex Founder and EAA Hall of Famer John Monnett.  Here's a picture of Jeremy, I could not find one of Mike:

Jeremy_3931-300.jpg

The aircraft was N123SX, the factory "Sport Acro" Sonex demo plane.  The Sport Acro has larger ailerons and shorter flaps than the standard Sonex design to improve roll rate for aerobatics.  The airplane was also the factory testbed for the Aerovee Turbo engine, a turbo-charged 2180cc 100hp VW conversion.  The airplane had over 50 hours on the turbo engine, including cross country flight from Oshkosh to Lakeland for Sun 'N Fun.  

NTSB is still conducting the investigation,  no particular cause is known or suspected at this time.  This is obviously a big shock to the Monnetts and the Sonex community.  I personally knew Jeremy and spoke with him many times.  He was a passionate advocate for Sonex and aviation in general.  He was also a very good and ethical businessman who you could always count on to treat you in a fair and friendly manner.  He will be missed.

For those of you who don't know, the CEO of Sonex Aircraft, Jeremy Monnett, died yesterday in a crash at Sonex's home field of Wittman Airport (Oshkosh).  Sonex assembly mechanic Mike Clark also died in the crash.  Jeremy was the son of Sonex Founder and EAA Hall of Famer John Monnett.  Here's a picture of Jeremy, I could not find one of Mike:

Jeremy_3931-300.jpg

The aircraft was N123SX, the factory "Sport Acro" Sonex demo plane.  The Sport Acro has larger ailerons and shorter flaps than the standard Sonex design to improve roll rate for aerobatics.  The airplane was also the factory testbed for the Aerovee Turbo engine, a turbo-charged 2180cc 100hp VW conversion.  The airplane had over 50 hours on the turbo engine, including cross country flight from Oshkosh to Lakeland for Sun 'N Fun.  

NTSB is still conducting the investigation,  no particular cause is known or suspected at this time.  This is obviously a big shock to the Monnetts and the Sonex community.  I personally knew Jeremy and spoke with him many times.  He was a passionate advocate for Sonex and aviation in general.  He was also a very good and ethical businessman who you could always count on to treat you in a fair and friendly manner.  He will be missed.

RIP.

Archived