Shell V-Power NiTRO+

Barrie Strachan

I've been using Shell 91 octane premium mogas in my Rotax 912ULS engine because it has no ethanol content, at least where I live.  Now Shell has come out with a new Premium formulation, "V-Power Nitro +".  Their website has the usual hot air about what wonderful stuff it is, but no specifics as to what the additives are.  Does anybody know if this new fuel would be OK in the Rotax?   From what I know about the Rotax legal staff, they would say don't use it.  They also say you can't fly at night behind their engine, nor can you fly over any area where you cannot make a safe emergency landing.  So much for them.

Thanks for any info or opinions.

Barrie Strachan, StingSport N2772N

I've been using Shell 91 octane premium mogas in my Rotax 912ULS engine because it has no ethanol content, at least where I live.  Now Shell has come out with a new Premium formulation, "V-Power Nitro +".  Their website has the usual hot air about what wonderful stuff it is, but no specifics as to what the additives are.  Does anybody know if this new fuel would be OK in the Rotax?   From what I know about the Rotax legal staff, they would say don't use it.  They also say you can't fly at night behind their engine, nor can you fly over any area where you cannot make a safe emergency landing.  So much for them.

Thanks for any info or opinions.

Barrie Strachan, StingSport N2772N

Where does Rotax legal say you can't burn any 91E10 gas?  Additives are not the issue, the amount of ethanol is restricted.  I think they don't allow over 10%...

Flying at night?  That's a new one..esp in the CT which is equipped with an LED landing light...

Re night flying, I wouldn't invent anything that ridiculous.  It's in the docs.

FYI, I did NOT state that Rotax legal says you "can't burn any 91E10 gas".  As a matter of fact, the Rotax Service Instruction on suitable fluids says E10 is approved for the 912 engines.  However there are plenty of good reasons to avoid ethanol. I didn't make that up, either. Take a look at this sometime 

http://generalaviationnews.com/2010/07/06/cessna-issues-strong-warning-against-use-of-ethanol-in-fuels/

This article is based on tests of AGE-85, but the bottom line is: "Cessna’s recommends against the use of any levels of ethanol in fuels used in its aircraft, not only AGE-85."  (my emphasis)

Flight Design also has published a Service Notification on ethanol.  If you have to use ethanol contaminated fuel, you should be aware of the potential problems.

The "headlight"  on my buddy's CT is a halogen incandescent floodlight, not an LED light.

I don't want to start a debate on ethanol.  I'm just looking for info on the new Shell premium mogas.

------

Re night flying, I wouldn't invent anything that ridiculous.  It's in the docs.

FYI, I did NOT state that Rotax legal says you "can't burn any 91E10 gas".  As a matter of fact, the Rotax Service Instruction on suitable fluids says E10 is approved for the 912 engines.  However there are plenty of good reasons to avoid ethanol. I didn't make that up, either. Take a look at this sometime 

http://generalaviationnews.com/2010/07/06/cessna-issues-strong-warning-against-use-of-ethanol-in-fuels/

This article is based on tests of AGE-85, but the bottom line is: "Cessna’s recommends against the use of any levels of ethanol in fuels used in its aircraft, not only AGE-85."  (my emphasis)

Flight Design also has published a Service Notification on ethanol.  If you have to use ethanol contaminated fuel, you should be aware of the potential problems.

The "headlight"  on my buddy's CT is a halogen incandescent floodlight, not an LED light.

I don't want to start a debate on ethanol.  I'm just looking for info on the new Shell premium mogas.

------

Flight Design does not state Ethanol is an issue.  In fact, the POH specifically directs owners to Rotax for fuel guidance, and Rotax recommends 91E10 and 91 non Ethanol and warns that leaded 100LL is a bigger problem requiring more frequent oil changes as a min.

You asked about additives on the 91 non Ethanol fuel.  There is nothing in any pub I have seen that admonishes anyone in regard to additives, just over the amount of Ethanol.  And leaded gas.

The CTLSi has a LED landing light, but a landing light nonetheless which means FD and Rotax are fine with night flights otherwise FD wouldn't add one to the their current products which ALL run a Rotax engine.

Archived