TruTrak vs. Dynon Autopilot

andyb

Who did you talk to.  It's okay to name them... 

I contacted an FSDO and got the okay on the Dynon ADS-B and Garmin 796 combo (okay for ADS-B, but can't be used for IFR flight, but then LSA is not allowed to fly IMC anyway)...  Dynon has embedded GPS modules that also meets the FAA correction notification on non TSOd gear in LSA that meets the 2020 mandate.

Advice you call, FD at 860-963-7272 , Putnam , CT., It will come from "The Horse's Mouth".

Cheers.

Advice you call, FD at 860-963-7272 , Putnam , CT., It will come from "The Horse's Mouth".

Cheers.

Just had fresh conversation with a FSDO and Dynon and Garmin.  No one can say emphatically what is what given the FAA and it's vague way of operating.   But this much is at least true.

The Dynon Skyview and Dynon ADS-B will meet the 2020 mandate.  The GPS/WAAS input is the part that remains in grey land.  The FAA is insisting on a  SIL spec for the GPS that is extreme.  The current Garmin 796 and the Dynon GPS module is SIL level 1, but the FAA says the GPS has to have up to level three SIL to be fully compliant.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_integrity_level

To get to SIL level three is a major expense.  Something like $10k for the GPS alone.  That of course is absurd.

So the real answer is...there is no real answer...the FAA is a moving target.  And just like pushing on them to allow non TSOd ADS-B in LSA, the further push will be to allow, at least for non certified planes, a SIL level one solution for the GPS.

If they relent and allow that, then at least the Dynon gear in the FD with the Dynon ADS-B and a Dynon GPS module will meet the 2020 mandate....whether the Garmin 796 will also be allowed is also a matter of interpretation over just exaclty what 'portable' means given on the FD at least, the Garmin is panel mounted in EXACTLY the same way the other avionics are mounted.

I would like to make a point: Logically, things are not equal or true until proven so. Therefore, until the FAA says it meets the 2020 mandate, logic dictates that it does not.

There isn't a fleetwide supported FD installation yet to meet the mandate, but there is one thing that was not mentioned: MRAs. Flight Design has been quite accommodating with user submitted data, so if you design a solution and submit the MRA, they will at least consider it and provide feedback.

• 5 years later...
On 6/17/2015 at 8:42 AM, FlyingMonkey said:

I am the guy who bought Bill's TruTrak Digiflight IIVS when he upgraded to the Skyview setup.  I think it's a GREAT unit.  Mine holds heading and altitude like a rock...even in bumpy air it will hold altitude within ten feet.  The vertical speed select is a little less accurate; if I say climb at 500fpm, the actual rate might vary between 400fpm and 600fpm.  It's probably averaging ~500fpm, but it's not there all time.  Certainly close enough for my purposes.

One thing I like about the IIVS is that for $1200 you can send the head unit to TruTrak and they will upgrade it to the Vizion model that has a better display, altitude select and pre-select, a one button emergency AP level feature, and some other goodies.  It's nice to have an upgrade path.

Honestly, even the IIVS is a bit of overkill for an LSA.  I rarely use mine, it's more fun to hand fly.  But for a really long trip, or if you need a minute to fish a sandwich out of your backpack, it's a very nice capability to have.

Is the upgrade still available? 

1 hour ago, johnnyjr said:

Yes you can pick up a new head from Mid Continental for $770 as of 2 weeks back.  It's for the xCruze

1 hour ago, johnnyjr said:

Yes you can pick up a new head from Mid Continental for $770 as of 2 weeks back.  It's for the xCruze

Other than maybe settings Is it a plug and play install ? 

There is a single pin that needs to move, can’t recall which pin but it’s definitely the power pin. Also the level button needs to be wired in as well. Almost a plug and play solution. Info came straight from Andrew  Barker from TT, now a BK employee. Great guy, amazing customer service, answer all my questions and help me confirm I had the wiring correct between the AP, Dynon HS34 and Garmin 355. 

Thanks for the research and advice Johnny and GSFB! 
Right, the avionics installer would confirm existing IiVS pin 19 is power and a two wire 24 gauge harness for pins 1 and 2 for the level button would have to be built? Am I close to interpreting the diagram correctly? Do the settings have to be redone.  Man, I spent a lot of trial and error time in an RV12 testing settings. With lots of forum examples to get the Dynon AP system to perform nicely, which it did, but lots of settings tests. 

Speaking of autopilot settings, I was on a cross country this morning, winds ripping and gusty.  Held altitude fine, the heading would hunt back and forth from time to time based on gusts - maybe 3-5 degree swings, not terrible.  I don't fly with AP much, I've heard others comment on alt hold hunting too, I did have to pull power back every 10 min or so when it started to run up into yellow arc.  This TruTrak is the only AP I've used, I remain impressed with how it performs.

Hi Darrell.  I went flying with my friend Helicopter Dave in his Stinson yesterday.  It was really windy!  When flying in my CTSW in gusty type of weather I will need to watch my AP pitch trim and adjust when the indicator on the control head says "up" or "down" trim is needed.  My TruTrak flies my CT better than I can in turbulent Wx.  I have published the attached chart of my TruTrak adjustments over the last few years.  Here's my latest one which was last changed in 2020.

trutrak ap settings_200822.xlsx