Flap problems Why?

johnr

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no such thing as a truely open circuit on earth. The air is just really high resisdance.

I think there is a definition for open circuit that I learned in some of my electrical engineering courses? Wouldn't you agree?

And yes there are capacitors and different sorts of ROM memory that need to be electronically (some use light) erased. Nearly all complex circuit boards have capacitors.

The question becomes what does taking the battery ground (Yes, I know it is not a true ground.) off does?

I think there is a definition for open circuit that I learned in some of my electrical engineering courses? Wouldn't you agree?

And yes there are capacitors and different sorts of ROM memory that need to be electronically (some use light) erased. Nearly all complex circuit boards have capacitors.

The question becomes what does taking the battery ground (Yes, I know it is not a true ground.) off does?

Hence "truely". "Open circuit" is a bit of a spherical cow, but as we get deeper into it, we must be conscious of how we apply the definition. In this case, calling it open circuit with a terminal lifted may not be enough, as were observing a strange effect.

As for lifting the ground vs positive, there's too many variables to be an armchair theorist :P.

Electronic circuits sometimes have residual current in them due to capacitors, etc in the circuit.  It may be that having a good ground side of the circuit maintains any residual current better than removing the ground and the positive side at the same time.  Removing either side may still reset the circuit, but not in a short time frame.  It might be the difference between having the reset occur in seconds versus overnight.

Thanks for the tips, I will remove both + & - leads, its little extra effort & even if it makes little or no difference I will have completed one more test.

My problem is its such an occasional fault that its probably impossible to diagnose until there is a total failure. I think it comes back to ensureing that

it is operating correctly during every pre flight check. This was part of my original post as I believe that it should be in everyones pre flight checklist

to operate the flaps & look to see they are operating in the correct sense.

John R

Archived