ADS-B, F-16 and Cessna 150

Dan Kent

Most do, yes. They've also been using Mode S transponders forever now. You can pick them up on TCAS and other traffic systems.

They do turn them off when they don't want to be found, but you won't be anywhere near their airspace in such cases.

I can find evidence that the USAF started looking at equipping their transports with ADS-B in 2012 but nothing telling me that the F-16 has such capability.  In fact, I found a contract proposal indicating that they are just now starting to look at integrating it into their nav systems.  I can believe they do have Mode S transponders that would show up on TCAS.  

Same holds true for the Navy; they're just now letting out contract proposals for outfitting their T-6's.  Found an article stating Navy P-3's were outfitted in 2014; so they are probably following the same route as the USAF, i.e., transports first, and the others later.

ADS-B is going to be a help but "eyeballs out" is really still going to be the best assurance we have.  And ADS-B use, as well as all the other electronic goodies we are all using, are going to tend to pull us "heads-down" inside the aircraft. There is a trade-off...

I can find evidence that the USAF started looking at equipping their transports with ADS-B in 2012 but nothing telling me that the F-16 has such capability.  In fact, I found a contract proposal indicating that they are just now starting to look at integrating it into their nav systems.  I can believe they do have Mode S transponders that would show up on TCAS.  

Same holds true for the Navy; they're just now letting out contract proposals for outfitting their T-6's.  Found an article stating Navy P-3's were outfitted in 2014; so they are probably following the same route as the USAF, i.e., transports first, and the others later.

ADS-B is going to be a help but "eyeballs out" is really still going to be the best assurance we have.  And ADS-B use, as well as all the other electronic goodies we are all using, are going to tend to pull us "heads-down" inside the aircraft. There is a trade-off...

I have been using ADS-B for over a year and a half.  The frequency of looking at the panel is less than other information on gauges or in my case PFD.  When the audible warning is heard my first reaction is look outside and try to see the aircraft...if I don't see it immediately I look at the panel for the target. 

Handhelds pose a far bigger problem, especially if they are not mounted - or are strapped to a kneeboard.

The technology is really cool; but my bet is it will tend to make people fly with eyes straight ahead and your head barely moving.  How often do you think you'll be scanning from 45 degrees aft side to side wearing that?  

The technology is really cool; but my bet is it will tend to make people fly with eyes straight ahead and your head barely moving.  How often do you think you'll be scanning from 45 degrees aft side to side wearing that?  

Why move your head...it scans for traffic for you!   ;)

Honestly, if you watch the video the information they want is WAY too busy.  HITS boxes every second or two all the way to the flare on landing?  No thanks!  They need to use HITS only in cruise, and one box every 60 seconds is plenty.  You want to still see the world.  And the airspace depictions are cool, but distracting.

Having ADS-B traffic targets displayed in their actual position relative to your plane and some of that other stuff could be really nice, but I'm not sure if it would be worth wearing that thing on your head to get it.

Archived