5.00-5" 6 ply tire recommendations

FastEddieB

After just over 200 hours, the stock McCreary Air-Trac main wheel tires on my Sky Arrow are looking pretty worn.

I don't know if that's the same size/rating as the CT, but I'm looking for general advice on tire brands. My Sky Arrow is Experimental so I'm free to choose any brand.

I've heard good things about Goodyear Flight Custom III, which would run about $130 from Aircraft Spruce. But they also list a Flight Special II for about $80.

And of course there's the McCreary and Michelin and Condor listed as well.

I don't mind spending the extra money for better tires, with durability/mileage being my #1 priority, but I don't like to waste money, either.

BTW, I plan to use the existing tubes - they were replaced once already (due to the wrong size being installed at factory!*) and should be OK.

*proof:

mismatch.jpg

I like the Condors for the price and wear factor. They seem to be a good bargin. Also plan on new tubes. The McCreary's will let the tube stretch and it will wrinkle when put in a new tire. The wrinkles will be like in your picture of the tubes inner diameter just above the towell. Tom

I agree with Tom. I put Condor tires (tundra 6.00-6) on my CTSW and they have performed extremely well and have very little wear with over 130 hours and over 500 landings. My tires were marked for position on the rim at the valve stem hole so that the best balance is achieved with a tube. No imbalance vibration is noticed during take-offs. Not sure if all Condor tires sizes are marked this way? All appear to be approved for 120mph operation. The speed rating was necessary in order to obtain the Flight Design LOA to install Condors (and Matco wheels, brakes and axles) on my CTSW.

CT, your thumbnail appears to show that you are running without wheel pants? If so, are you using wheel covers (hubcaps) instead? If you are using hubcaps and could post a picture of your plane to show what it looks with these it would be appreciated.

My local EAA chapter (Blairsville, GA) had a meeting last night.

A fellow I consider knowledgable said a lot of the RV builders have gone with Desser "Monster" retreads.

I remember Aviation Consumer had good things to say about them, and searching came up with a thread on an RV forum on tires http://www.vansairforce.com/community/archive/index.php?t-36768.html that included a link the that original review http://www.desser.com/epdf/ACJuneFinal04-dtr.pdf.

The Monsters would be less than $60 in 500-5" 6ply.

Anyone had any experience with these guys?

Hi Eddie,

Many of us use the Desser Monster retread. Retreads are about 80% of the aviation market and 80% of the military use. These Monster retreads work well and have thicker rubber. I have been using them for 6 years and like them because nothing seems to bother them as far as punctures and they don't seem to leak down like many others. I would recommend them. I have the Monster tread 6.00-6 8 plys on my CT. Some have the 6 ply.

What pressure do you plan on running in them?

At least 30 psi up to 40 psi for the 6 plys and any small wheeled (i.e. 4.00-6) 8 plys may need 50 psi so the tire doesn't try to turn on the wheel. This depends on the wheel itself. If it is the cruddy Marc Ingegno Italian wheels then 50 psi is needed. If you have a better wheel that has better tire to wheel bead contact or a serrated edge to keep the tire from turning then you can get away with less.

From memory, my POH calls for 29 psi mains and 21 psi nosewheel. The main wheels are Marc-Ingegno.

I've used those pressures and have not yet had a tire "spin" on the rim.

My plan right now is to go with the Monsters and have decided on new tubes (probably Michelin Air-Stop) as the Most Conservative Action.

From memory, my POH calls for 29 psi mains and 21 psi nosewheel. The main wheels are Marc-Ingegno.

I've used those pressures and have not yet had a tire "spin" on the rim.

My plan right now is to go with the Monsters and have decided on new tubes (probably Michelin Air-Stop) as the Most Conservative Action.

Ed, in previous posts, Tom and I said to go with the Condor tires. These are actually the Desser Condor "Monster" tires which Roger Lee refers to. Although one can get 8 ply, the 6 ply Monsters are a pretty stiff tire which will resist punctures and, so far, mine are showing very little wear. Desser supplies retread hi speed tires for commercial jet aircraft and their literature says they use the same retread technology on the Monsters and certify them for 120mph service. I'm not sure why the Desser Monsters are a low cost tire but they are. Reminder: Get the 90 degree valve stems if you buy new tubes.

My tires were marked for position on the rim at the valve stem hole so that the best balance is achieved with a tube. No imbalance vibration is noticed during take-offs. Not sure if all Condor tires sizes are marked this way?

I just noticed that remark.

My stock tires needed a LOT of weight to balance. I have a simple BMW balancer and will balance whatever I put on.

This is "after" and you can see the amount of weight involved:

It did take care of the "shudder" I had right after takeoff.

• 3 weeks later...

As an update, the Condor "Monster" retreads and tubes (Aero Classic) arrived last week. Nicely, Desser included some tire talc (I usually use baby powder). I got around to installing them today.

Quite a difference, comparing the "Monster" with the worn AirTrac I was removing:

5159340804_7c314f886d_z.jpg

I can see how with a tight fairing the "Monster's" could be a problem.

As a data point, I mounted the red dot at the valve stem. I still needed 21 grams to balance one and 42 grams to balance the other.

Archived