Summer Evening Cruising

FlyingMonkey

The title of the thread is "Summer Evening Cruising"…..Evening.

I have 4871 hours of night flying logged, I know when it's night thanks very much.

There is nothing better than a nice summer evening flight. Hope some more pictures of such flights can be posted.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The title of the thread is "Summer Evening Cruising"…..Evening.

I have 4871 hours of night flying logged, I know when it's night thanks very much.

There is nothing better than a nice summer evening flight. Hope some more pictures of such flights can be posted.

I try to make as much of my flying as possible in the early morning or the late evening.  As you said, nothing better!  Smooth air and cool temperatures.  Here in Georgia, once the daytime convective heating starts, the ride very quickly stops being much fun.   

I happen to do a flight the same evening as everyone else in this thread (and somehow avoided flying at night  :giggle-3307: ).  I can't say that that I enjoyed the cool evening here in Dallas with the temperature at take-off right at 99F but it did cool off to 82F at 3K feet and the air was smooth.  It was a chilly 97F when I landed, though!  :)

Oh now you are being a little pedantic :P.

And to answer your second question, provided there aren't any other issues (like a/c limitation), they are exercising their student pilot privileges, not their sport pilot privileges. So it comes with all the privileges and limitations of the student pilot certificate and required endorsements, including no passengers. A sport pilot transitioning to private pilot is just about the only dual pilot certificate status that I know of for the same category and class of aircraft.

It is my understanding that the training for a sport pilot transitioning to private pilot comes under CFR 61.31 (d), (2), and it requires a different endorsement. The endorsements can be found in AC 61-65E. You can not hold a student pilot certificate if you are already a rated pilot.

Incorrect.  FAR 1.1 defines "night": 

Night means the time between the end of evening civil twilight and the beginning of morning civil twilight, as published in the Air Almanac, converted to local time.

No.  The definition given is correct.  If Civil Twilight alone were the restriction, then the Sport Pilot would be in violation at simple Civil Dusk.  Keep looking.

No.  The definition given is correct.  If Civil Twilight alone were the restriction, then the Sport Pilot would be in violation at simple Civil Dusk.  Keep looking.

Sigh.  Night is the only restriction as per FAR 61.315c and night is defined as quoted above which is based on Civil Twilight alone.  Civil Dusk is simply a point in time that marks the end of Civil Twilight.  You are correct in that a pilot flying under SP privileges would be in violation of the restriction if they acted as PIC after Civil Dusk.

© You may not act as pilot in command of a light-sport aircraft:

(1) That is carrying a passenger or property for compensation or hire.

(2) For compensation or hire.

(3) In furtherance of a business.

(4) While carrying more than one passenger.

(5) At night.

Night: "The time between the end of evening civil twilight and the beginning of morning civil twilight, as published in the American Air Almanac, converted to local time." That's the FAA's definition in FAR 1.1, but it's only one of many ways night is described in the Federal Aviation Regulations.

When logging night flying time for private or commercial certification, follow the definition in FAR 1.1.

If you need to get night current to carry passengers, follow the definition of night as described in FAR 61.57( B), which is the "period beginning one hour after sunset and ending one hour before sunrise." Remember, to get night current you will need to make three takeoffs and landings to a full stop in an aircraft of the same category, class, and type.

People here say that America is full of lawyers.

This discussion takes that to new heights. :fainting-1344:

There are those in America who just like to get their airplane out on a nice summer evening and enjoy a flight in the cooler calmer air, and hopefully enjoy a beautiful sunset before they land.

There are, unfortunately, those in America who fritter away that time quibbling and fretting over when nighttime is despite having (supposedly) passed an FAA exam whereby they should already know as does everyone else they're preaching to, who likewise passed an FAA exam.

Endless right fighting circular arguments or just go flying and enjoy your airplane and the benefits of the pilot license you earned? I know which I'll choose.

It's time to move on.

Nitpicking over a few minutes either way is not productive or even sensible. We all know what needs to be done and it's up to each pilot to do what he needs to do and or what he wants to do. 

Sunset flights can be very scenic. 

If you have some cool looking sunset pictures while flying post them.

It's time to move on.

Nitpicking over a few minutes either way is not productive or even sensible. We all know what needs to be done and it's up to each pilot to do what he needs to do and or what he wants to do. 

Sunset flights can be very scenic. 

If you have some cool looking sunset pictures while flying post them.

Amen to that brother!!

I'd really like to see some more sunset pictures!

Please do not judge all Americans by one outlier!

But I know what you mean.

How can one look at a post on a pleasant evening flight and turn it into a discussion on Sport Pilot limitations and technical definitions of "night", complete with bad info, is beyond me.

I love Americans!

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. I received my private pilot certificate in my 2010 CTLS in April.  Attached are two photos. One is my home airport in Decorah, IA and the other is overflying the Mississippi River. I am a frequent visitor to this site. Thanks for all of your great information. 

post-1152-0-95836000-1439053886_thumb.jpg

post-1152-0-21810900-1439053896_thumb.jpg

I try to make as much of my flying as possible in the early morning or the late evening.  As you said, nothing better!  Smooth air and cool temperatures.  Here in Georgia, once the daytime convective heating starts, the ride very quickly stops being much fun.

You should experience an August afternoon here in the desert Southwest. I shoot for having 3WT back in the barn by 930-1000. Beyond that, the ramp liquefies. And when the thermals start booming, climbing at idle power is not uncommon!

You should experience an August afternoon here in the desert Southwest. I shoot for having 3WT back in the barn by 930-1000. Beyond that, the ramp liquefies. And when the thermals start booming, climbing at idle power is not uncommon!

Last year I flew from KTUS to KELP in July! I was going to layover in TUS as it was mid-day and 109F however Million Air weren't very accommodating for my LSA so I decided to continue to ELP. Needless to say I got continuous moderate turbulence all the way!

The folks at ELP were great and I was glad to get a shower and a cold one at the hotel!

It was the only time I didn't follow the 'early start, land before noon' rule on the trip across the country. Ouch!

Last year I flew from KTUS to KELP in July! I was going to layover in TUS as it was mid-day and 109F however Million Air weren't very accommodating for my LSA so I decided to continue to ELP. Needless to say I got continuous moderate turbulence all the way!The folks at ELP were great and I was glad to get a shower and a cold one at the hotel!It was the only time I didn't follow the 'early start, land before noon' rule on the trip across the country. Ouch!

I'm certainly sorry you got the cold shoulder from the people at Million Air. As a proud Arizonan, it irks me to hear we gave a visitor a reason to continue on to New Mexico. If you pass through again, please give me notice; I will ensure that you leave our state with a better perspective!

I *love* the desert.  That's one of the reasons I'm going to Page this year, so I can experience it from the air.

I *love* the desert.  That's one of the reasons I'm going to Page this year, so I can experience it from the air.

I wish we were joining you in Page this year, but I neglected to check the dates of the fly in when we planned a Fall week in Boston. Next year

Archived