ATL is Drowning!

FlyingMonkey

The weather here has been just awful the past few weeks, and this weekend was about the worst one I remember in a long time.  I hung out at the airport (WDR) waiting for the weather to clear enough to fly to Falcon Field in Peachtree City, where I had some friends waiting for me.

I finally had a gap around noon, and took off.  The radar showed a yellow/red cell in my flight path, but it was small and I was going to pick around it.  But the scattered layer above me got thicker and darker as I went, and started pushing me down.  At about 800 AGL the voice in my head started saying "this isn't smart", and showed me a slideshow of all the "continued flight into deteriorating weather" accidents I had seen.  So I turned around and landed back at the home field.  Hobbs time about 0.4.  

Sunday was even worse, I didn't even try to fly.

I know FLA has been just as bad the past month or two, is the rest of the country getting drowned out too, or just the Southeast?

Here in the Southern Plains we've gone around 50 days with only 1 day of rain which is pretty much the opposite of our spring.  So plenty of flying days lately if you don't mind 100 degree days.  Bumps get uncomfortable after 10am or so until the slight cooling of the evening.

Smart move Andy.

Wx here in NE PA has been very nice this year with the sporatic afternoon TS. No complaints.

My son in the Tampa area said they had 34" of rain in 37 days and he hasn't been able to get in the air with his Powered  Para.

Archived