Around the World

michael.g.miller

I have a (somewhat) crazy idea of flying a CTLS{i}/CTSW around the world.

I'm currently a 345h private pilot in NYC. My flying has been in 172/182/SR20/SR22 with my ~150 most recent hours being in a Cirrus. I'm instrument and seaplane rated.

I'm curious to get a gut check from current Flight Design owners about the feasibility of this idea:

- How does autogas perform? My plan would be to use autogas to make up for the general lack of avgas around the world.

- How is the LSA category treated around the world? If it is N-Reg, will I need special permits, as if it were an experimental / non-certified plane?

- What is insurance like for someone with no LSA experience?

- What's a realistic price I can expect to pay for a used Flight Design plane?

- I see a lot of CTSWs on controller/trade-a-plane. Will this have sufficient range to do a northern ferry route without an additional tank? If not, what are the logistics and pricing of a ferry tank?

I'd appreciate any suggestions/feedback on how crazy I am!

Thanks!

Mike

I have a (somewhat) crazy idea of flying a CTLS{i}/CTSW around the world.

I'm currently a 345h private pilot in NYC. My flying has been in 172/182/SR20/SR22 with my ~150 most recent hours being in a Cirrus. I'm instrument and seaplane rated.

I'm curious to get a gut check from current Flight Design owners about the feasibility of this idea:

- How does autogas perform? My plan would be to use autogas to make up for the general lack of avgas around the world.

- How is the LSA category treated around the world? If it is N-Reg, will I need special permits, as if it were an experimental / non-certified plane?

- What is insurance like for someone with no LSA experience?

- What's a realistic price I can expect to pay for a used Flight Design plane?

- I see a lot of CTSWs on controller/trade-a-plane. Will this have sufficient range to do a northern ferry route without an additional tank? If not, what are the logistics and pricing of a ferry tank?

I'd appreciate any suggestions/feedback on how crazy I am!

Thanks!

Mike

Flight Design the company did send a pair of planes around the world.

“They're Home!” …Twin Around-the-World Flights in CT

They were equipped with special extended fuel ferry tanks.  And they had increased gross weight allowed for this mission only.  They were also CTLS not CTSWs.

The general range is about 1000 to 1200nm dependent on weight and density altitude for the SLSA with no extended fuel tanks.

Any Flight Design you choose is not equipped or designed to fly IMC.  There is no lightning protection, deicing system, and the ceiling is relatively low, 12k feet or so. 

Mogas and Avgas are equivalent in regard to range and power so that is not an issue.

You will pay insurance based on hull value and your hours.  Since you have been flying Part 23 aircraft already, there should be no issue to insure a CT.  But you should do some transition training to get the smaller aircraft feel down well.

Most FDCT or SW are also not equipped with NavCom radios, but some have been upgraded with them, and you can add one easily.

Without adding ferry tanks it probably is not possible to make the ocean crossings.  You can contact Flight Design USA to ask how extending the planes fuel capacity can be done and what the complexities involve.  There is a 1320lb gross weight limit for SLSA.

Good luck...

Archived