PBOR Medical Maze

gbigs

The Pilots Bill Of Rights is taking a tawdry turn in regard to the medical requirements.  The bill has been modified to contain the following language:

...must take an online aeromedical course every two years, make logbook entries certifying they’ve seen their personal doctors at least once every four years (and received any needed treatment for medical conditions).  Pilots must have “a comprehensive medical review by the FAA” for new pilots. Pilots without medicals for more than 10 years also would need the same one-time certification. Pilots with current medicals or those lapsed within 10 years would be exempt.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Pilots-Bill-Of-Rights-Changes-Medicals-Required-For-Some-224918-1.html

If this goes through, I wonder if we could still fly Light Sport without having to do the 10 year exam. My last medical was in 2004 and do NOT  plan on getting an FAA exam.

The rules for Sport Pilot are unchanged (so far).  I see no reason why they should make any changes as Sport Pilot has been an undeniable success.  I'm very disappointed that they are weakening the reform with the aforementioned success of Sport Pilot rules.  Oh well... there's always PBOR3.

If this goes through, I wonder if we could still fly Light Sport without having to do the 10 year exam. My last medical was in 2004 and do NOT  plan on getting an FAA exam.

The legislation is only to fly certified aircraft with less than a 3rd class medical.  Flying as a light sport pilot is not affected since a pilot self-assesses and uses a DL as a medical.

The legislation is only to fly certified aircraft with less than a 3rd class medical.  Flying as a light sport pilot is not affected since a pilot self-assesses and uses a DL as a medical.

All of the light sport aircraft I fly are certified, it says so right there on their airworthiness certificate.

All of the light sport aircraft I fly are certified, it says so right there on their airworthiness certificate.

Special Category Light Sport Aircraft (SLSA)  < not 'certified' and may use non TSO'd avionics

A special airworthiness certificate in the light sport category as specified under 14 CFR Part 1.1 and 21.190.

14 CFR PART 23 - Certification And Airworthiness Standard  < 'certified' and may NOT use non TSO'd avionics

NORMAL, UTILITY, ACROBATIC, AND COMMUTER CATEGORY Aircraft.

The PBOR is about the Part 23 aircraft and those who may NOT fly them unless they have at least a 3rd class medical certificate.  You can fly an SLSA without a 1st, 2nd or 3rd class medical certificate, self certify medical health, DL.

Special Category Light Sport Aircraft (SLSA) < not 'certified' and may use non TSO'd avionics

A special airworthiness certificate in the light sport category as specified under 14 CFR Part 1.1 and 21.190.

14 CFR PART 23 - Certification And Airworthiness Standard < 'certified' and my NOT use non TSO'd avionics

NORMAL, UTILITY, ACROBATIC, AND COMMUTER CATEGORY Aircraft.

The PBOR is about the Part 23 aircraft and those who may not fly them unless they have at least a 3rd class medical certificate. You can fly an SLSA without a 1st, 2nd or 3rd class medical certificate.

I sugest you take a look at the back side of your airworthiness certificate, and see what it says.

The simple fact is the Issuance of a airworthiness certificate certifies something.

For a light sport aircraft it certifies that the aircraft met all applicable regulations at the time of issue.

For standard category aircraft it certifies that is an exact copy of a type certified aircraft.

Also all type certified aircraft were not certified under CFR part 23. There have been several different certification standards that predate the current day FAA.

I would also like to add that the number of type certified light sport aircraft out numbers those with a airworthiness certificate in the light sport category.

No aircraft can fly unless they hold a certificate, or an exemption*. Technically, the FAA doesn't "certify", they "certificate" ;-). It's some silly lawyer legal jargon as to the difference.

*Basically, the courts upheld a ruling that quad copters are "aircraft" and fall under the FAA's jurisdiction. This was the result of the legal back and forth that guy who got fined by the FAA 2-3 years ago. The FAA is basically blanket exempting all RC devices that are used recreationally, but those that want to do it in a business need a Section 333 exemption.

• 3 weeks later...

And why did the 3rd class medical repeal get waylaid? because the Airline Pilots Association stuck their collective noses into something that was none of their business.

They get 1st class medicals every 6 months but they still keel over, are incapacitated and go postal every once in awhile. How is that? It's because they are close buddies with their medical examiners who look the other or give them a pass rather than cite them when medical issues pop up.

We should write our congressmen and demand the rules for 1st class medicals be changed to require 2 separate medical exams, by different doctors, every 6 months. That will keep the examiners honest. And after all, if one medical exam is good, surely two is even better.

Also, we should demand that pilots seeking a 1st class medical not be allowed to see any medical examiner more than once in a 2 year period. That should help prevent the cosy relationships airline pilots currently enjoy with their examiners.

Mike Koerner

Archived