Show me your fueling trailer setup!

Patrnflyr

Guys, we've done this before on another site, but I thought it would be great to exchange ideas on how you all get mogas to your plane... I'm particularly interested in how you ground your trailer/plane when fueling. Thanks for the info!

John

PS I have a picture of mine but am unable to post for some reason!

I use a couple of the 5 Gallon Tuff Jugs recommended above by Chanik, and they are really amazing. Not something I carry in flight, but the best home-base fuel jugs you can buy. They are sturdy, well-constructed, and heavy duty. But the real win is that they completely empty in a minute without spilling a single drop! The filler fits perfectly into the CT filler and a flange covers the opening so there is no splashing. The integrated valve prevents any fuel flow until you are ready and shut off as soon as your remove it. The integrated vent prevents overfilling.

Highly recommended.

Best price I've found is at Cycle Gear: http://goo.gl/YoDV

post-19-072365100 1288064814_thumb.jpg

Brian, I need a trailer so I can get the fuel from the gas station to the airfield. I'd hate to try and lift a full one of those into a pickup!!! My trailer, tank, pump etc are all purchased at Tractor Supply and does pretty well. Just need some ideas on how to ground it correctly.

I remember one of the CT dealers at Estancia, NM was marketing a GM hybrid pickup with a large gas tank in the bank bed. Looked really great.

John

There are two issues for grounding.

One is bonding and the other grounding. Bonding is when the two objects being worked on are connected. i.e. a wire with alligator clips on each end that go from the plane to the fuel apparatus. The other is grounding which means the plane and or other object need to go to ground. i.e. a stake in the ground., i.e. a connection to the metal hanger that should have grounds for the building.

I have the alligator clips with a 15 foot monster cable that I connect to the plane's exhaust. Now, I'm looking for one of those automatic reels that'll connect to the hangar and when done, you simply pull on it and it retrieves back onto the reel. I've seen them around but don't know a source.

John

For more volume I use one of these that I bought before getting the tuff-jugs. It's not that great on it's own.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200325161_200325161

It can't pump uphill worth a damn, but on the bed of my prius will drain downhill into the Jugs readily. So with these, I can move 25Gal from gas station to plane in one quick trip.

Archived