CTLSi - major delays - frozen deliveries?

swiss_cheese

Burger, I know you don't cruise at WOT, but it would be helpful to know what rpm you are turning at that setting. Just climb to your normal cruise altitude and go wide open, long enough for the rpm to stabilize, maybe 30 seconds. That will tell a lot about how close to optimal your prop pitch is.

I've done that as a test before the sport upgrade and after the sport upgrade and the prop set to cruise by Kevin of CPS who did the upgrade.  I can get 5450 at WOT...ktas about 120 to 125.  I once knew the degree of pitch, but I can't find it in my notes.  Kevin said it was slightly course, a cruise setting.  Before the sport upgrade and Kevin setting the prop I was not able to get above 5300 rpm in level cruise at WOT.   I dont know what the prop was set to at that time either.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burgers, you are set a little coarse, but if you can get 5450rpm at 8000ft that's not too bad.  Personally I'd probably flatten it another half degree, but that's just personal preference  and there's no need if you are happy with it.  You are probably saving a little fuel with it set as it is instead of flatter.

"You are probably saving a little fuel with it set as it is instead of flatter."

His isn't terrible, but

He is still using more fuel being a tad too coarse. Even if you throttle back to 5100 your overall prop pitch is still set for 5450 which also makes the 5100 over pitched. There are no redeeming qualities with being too coarse. The 5600-5650 (balanced between climb and cruise) is the mark to shoot for at your average altitude.

Burgers, you are set a little coarse, but if you can get 5450rpm at 8000ft that's not too bad.  Personally I'd probably flatten it another half degree, but that's just personal preference  and there's no need if you are happy with it.  You are probably saving a little fuel with it set as it is instead of flatter.

I agree he is a bit coarse but we have always found optimizing (flattening) the pitch will save fuel, why would this time be opposite?  To save fuel you have to cruise at a reduced throttle setting coarse pitch alone will waist not save.

When you look at how Rotax leans, carbed or injected, you are full rich at throttle settings above 92%.  If you go for a flatter pitch that will allow you to more often throttle back into econo mode or where the needle circuit gets control then you can lean at higher power settings and save fuel without slowing as much.

Maybe I have it backwards...I though if you are flatter you have to run a higher RPM to hit the same airspeed as a coarser pitch.  Assuming the pitches are close, obviously is one is way too flat or coarse then the engine is outside its happy range.  Maybe the throttle setting is more a factor than rpm, in which case I could definitely have it reversed.

Throttle setting is a huge factor, which leads to mixture which is big factor too where rpm  by itself means little.  You have to consider rpm @ PitchX to quantify the load.

I wonder how much that is true with the iS engine, since the mixture is electronically controlled to be close to ideal at all times (at least below 92% throttle, IIRC).

I wonder how much that is true with the iS engine, since the mixture is electronically controlled to be close to ideal at all times (at least below 92% throttle, IIRC).

Seems like the injected mimics the carbed.  Both are full rich 92% to WOT and below that both begin leaning if appropriate.

I can get 5450 at WOT...IAS about 120 to 125. 

That's astonishingly good performance....

If your airfield is 5k msl and you cruise at, let's say, 7k , then your TAS is in the region of 140kts.

Are you really seeing those sort of speeds in a CT with a fp prop?

This isn't a drift. It's sailing out of the country.

If people try to do a search to find certain post or ideas why would they look under "delayed deliveries" for airspeed discussions and if they wanted to discuss airspeeds why would they look under delayed deliveries for FD? Plus air speeds and rpm has been beaten to death on other threads so why not take it back there.

I wouldn't want to read about or have to look for the stock market results today between the scores of two NFL teams on the sports page.

Nothing wrong with either discussion, but better served on different threads.

If people try to do a search to find certain post or ideas why would they look under "delayed deliveries" for airspeed discussions and if they wanted to discuss airspeeds why would they look under delayed deliveries for FD? Plus air speeds and rpm has been beaten to death on other threads so why not take it back there.

I wouldn't want to read about or have to look for the stock market results today between the scores of two NFL teams on the sports page.

Move the speed posts to the other thread....that's done on other sites.  But it requires an admin privilege to do that work, right?

Roger, isn't that what the search feature is for. If you type in cruise speed there is a link to this thread, in fact it take you right to the post.

• 4 weeks later...

Bad news from FD side regarding the back payment of my order.

In 7th April 2015 I canceled the contract, after almost two years, and they pay nothing, according with the contract.

I made two notifications, at 30 and 60 days, and the third was made by the lawyers after 90 days from the first notification.

Nothing happen, no payment or a mail/call from the FD for an explanation.

We made a claim to the court and the lawyers have had a long negotiation and made an settlement for a back payment in installments, with first payment on 30 December 2015 but they didn't pay, as usual.

We started the procedures to garnishment of the bank accounts and for taking a sworn statement of assets or for seizure of real property.

These are the facts, your comments are welcome but not about air speed, constant speed propeller, MTOW etc., please.

Bad news from FD side regarding the back payment of my order.

In 7th April 2015 I canceled the contract, after almost two years, and they pay nothing, according with the contract.

I made two notifications, at 30 and 60 days, and the third was made by the lawyers after 90 days from the first notification.

Nothing happen, no payment or a mail/call from the FD for an explanation.

We made a claim to the court and the lawyers have had a long negotiation and made an settlement for a back payment in installments, with first payment on 30 December 2015 but they didn't pay, as usual.

We started the procedures to garnishment of the bank accounts and for taking a sworn statement of assets or for seizure of real property.

These are the facts, your comments are welcome but not about air speed, constant speed propeller, MTOW etc. 

Sorry to hear that, that is not good news for us here in the US either. Wish you good luck

Cheers

Archived