New Service Bulletin: 'Chute Hatch

CT4ME

There is a new SB, for checking the Parachute Egress Hatch... the little spot that the 'Chute is supposed to exit through.  Apparently, during another, non-related, accident investigation, a hatch was found to have been installed (or re-installed) wrong.  This seems to affect almost ALL CTSW and CTLS, up to the most recent.  You have 3 months to comply, which entails inspecting the installation, and removing and re-installing the hatch if it was not done properly.

http://flightdesignusa.com/2015/10/service-bulletin-verification-of-rescue-system-cover-installation/

http://flightdesign.com/files/Service%20Bulletin/PZ25606005_00.pdf

In accordance with the Flight Design Service Bulletin SB-ASTM-CTSW-13 (or SB-ASTM-CTLS-11) encompassing "verification of the rescue system cover installation" this aircraft had this inspection performed. This aircraft meets the correct standards as set forth by the service bulletin for acceptance of the system recovery hatch.

mechanic's signature and cert #

or just Blah, blah, blah I looked at it  :giggle-3307:

Okay, I'm about to make almost all of you feel better.  :thumbs_up-3334:

If your hatch was factory installed you most likely are just fine. (I said most likely because I can't say 100%)

The bulletin affects those that had the hatch installed after it came from the factory. This may also have been done if someone removed the hatch to remove the chute for its inspection. I really hope no one did this. The other instance would be if for some reason a dealer received the plane without the hatch in place (not common) and then they installed the chute and glued the hatch in place. The hatch does not need to be removed to install or remove the BRS chute.

If you look on the inside lip or the outside and you see sanding marks then you are affected. No sanding marks or no sunken hatch then no problem. Hopefully out of approximately 360 aircraft there will be only a handful and no more than 20 +/-. This is just a guess.

This worry may be a little over stated. They are a little worried because they can not calculate the lost inertia from the rocket going through the hatch versus knocking it out of place.  I don't think there has been any specific testing for this scenario. The hatch was designed to come out. If someone after it left the factory sanded the edges making a better bond and used the wrong epoxy it could remain in place and then the rocket may ? knock it out or have to punch through.

Bottom line the majority of the CT's should be in good shape.  :clap-3332:

Okay, I'm about to make almost all of you feel better.  :thumbs_up-3334:

If your hatch was factory installed you most likely are just fine. (I said most likely because I can't say 100%)

The bulletin affects those that had the hatch installed after it came from the factory. This may also have been done if someone removed the hatch to remove the chute for its inspection. I really hope no one did this. The other instance would be if for some reason a dealer received the plane without the hatch in place (not common) and then they installed the chute and glued the hatch in place. The hatch does not need to be removed to install or remove the BRS chute.

If you look on the inside lip or the outside and you see sanding marks then you are affected. No sanding marks or no sunken hatch then no problem. Hopefully out of approximately 360 aircraft there will be only a handful and no more than 20 +/-. This is just a guess.

This worry may be a little over stated. They are a little worried because they can not calculate the lost inertia from the rocket going through the hatch versus knocking it out of place.  I don't think there has been any specific testing for this scenario. The hatch was designed to come out. If someone after it left the factory sanded the edges making a better bond and used the wrong epoxy it could remain in place and then the rocket may ? knock it out or have to punch through.

Bottom line the majority of the CT's should be in good shape.  :clap-3332:

Roger, over on the thread (CTLSi - major delays - frozen deliveries?) one guy says he is taking delivery of a new plane partially built.  He says they are delivering it sans BRS and avionics installation.   It appears the factory is changing much in the way they are building and delivering product...Not in a good way IMHO.

Speculation...

BRS contains explosives which require special handling/permitting to ship. At least that is the case for the CAPS rocket in the Cirrus.

It ain't cheap shipping explosives.

Maybe shipping CT's with explosives contained therein is a logistical hurdle and possibly prohibitively expensive?

The rocket might have to be shipped, special handling, from the US to Ukraine or Germany or wherever, installed, then shipped back, special handling, with the plane.

If that speculation is even close to being correct, shipping the planes here sans BRS and having it installed here might really make a lot of fiscal and logistical sense.

But, like I said...speculation.

There is a new SB, for checking the Parachute Egress Hatch... the little spot that the 'Chute is supposed to exit through.  Apparently, during another, non-related, accident investigation, a hatch was found to have been installed (or re-installed) wrong.  This seems to affect almost ALL CTSW and CTLS, up to the most recent.  You have 3 months to comply, which entails inspecting the installation, and removing and re-installing the hatch if it was not done properly.

http://flightdesignusa.com/2015/10/service-bulletin-verification-of-rescue-system-cover-installation/

http://flightdesign.com/files/Service%20Bulletin/PZ25606005_00.pdf

I want to point out to readers: FD's website post is NOT in agreement with the service bulletin for affected aircraft! The service bulletin is the ONLY source you can use to determine if you are affected (or unless you get an exemption letter from FD)

Speculation...

BRS contains explosives which require special handling/permitting to ship. At least that is the case for the CAPS rocket in the Cirrus.

It ain't cheap shipping explosives.

Maybe shipping CT's with explosives contained therein is a logistical hurdle and possibly prohibitively expensive?

The rocket might have to be shipped, special handling, from the US to Ukraine or Germany or wherever, installed, then shipped back, special handling, with the plane.

If that speculation is even close to being correct, shipping the planes here sans BRS and having it installed here might really make a lot of fiscal and logistical sense.

But, like I said...speculation.

Flight Design has been shipping complete planes since day one with avionics and BRS installed.  This is a change, or degradation in their process.

Flight Design has been shipping complete planes since day one with avionics and BRS installed.  This is a change, or degradation in their process.

The problem is right now you have 2 choices. No planes or shipped and installations completed state side.

There is 5 or 6 things combined that created this problem, and it will take a while before things get back to normal.

Hi Kevin,

Yours definitely needs a closer look, but from I see in the picture you may be right. If it needs fixing the hatch must be removed. The areas of sanding must be painted so it is smooth. Then the hatch gets glued back in place with some epoxy mixed with flox. Then the black door molding gets put around the edge of the hatch interior. This protects the cute from tearing in exit and the cords from being possible cut.

Archived