MrMorden & Wm.Ince Still Not Home

FlyingMonkey

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought about going north to Oklahoma then east, but by the time I get there the weather system will be curved more east, and I still won't be able to get to ATL from the north. Better to just wait. Not something I love doing, but better than any of the alternatives.

Bill has been great, BTW. His decades of flying and weather experience have been invaluable, and we are on the same page regarding which risks are acceptable and which ones are not.

I thought about going north to Oklahoma then east, but by the time I get there the weather system will be curved more east, and I still won't be able to get to ATL from the north. Better to just wait. Not something I love doing, but better than any of the alternatives.

Bill has been great, BTW. His decades of flying and weather experience have been invaluable, and we are on the same page regarding which risks are acceptable and which ones are not.

You may wanna take a look (pan out and check Satellite Box) at this  http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/?lat=39.49833298&lon=-119.76805878&zoom=8&pin=Reno-Tahoe%20International%2c%20NV&rad=1&wxsn=0&svr=0&cams=0&sat=0&riv=0&mm=0&hur=0

The remnants of the hurricane will be on top of Georgia in a few days and continue to drive thru Texas up from Mexico for the next entire week. There are two flows of storms forming.  One North driving down thru Washington state into Utah, Colorado and East.  The other a continuous band of tropical to hurricane forming storms taking the same track across Mexico up into east Texas and East.

Looking at today's radar, how about North Little Rock, AR?

Get you back in the air, and at least a little closer to home. And when we were there in 2011, a Light Sport dealer on the field had MOGAS.

Just a thought.

A northern diversion crossed my mind. I'd probably go farther north into Kentucky, Tten east to go north of the weather, and back down the east coast. It might not buy me any time, but at least it would be mostly nice VFR flying instead of sitting in a hotel.

But it would mean a lot of uncertainty, and I'd have to leave Bill on his own to find a way back to Tampa. I don't think I'm there. Besides, given that the weather system is now getting to the east coast, the window for that plan is probably closed.

I'm a believer in getting as close to the destination as possible when flying on longer trips which means I may follow the trailing edge of a front then land on the edge and wait out until it passes my final (or next) destination.  This doesn't mean I violate my personal minimums at all.  I just like to get close enough that when a safe window opens up, I have the option to take it.  In this case, the best it looks like our wayfaring travelers can do is get to NE Texas and/or western Arkansas which really doesn't help their situation too much.

We made a little progress, about 150nm to Beaumont, TX (KBPT). Ceilings were deteriorating ahead and winds were howling. We landed on runway 34 with winds 330@24G32. Not as hard as feared, I just used zero flaps and flew it on.

Bill is more daring than I am, he used 15 flaps. It all worked out fine we both made decent landings for the conditions.

What experience?  Using ANY flaps with winds 30kts coming at you down the runway?  In the CT you would almost hover.  Morden did it right.

Reminds me of 3 landings in Tonapah, NV coming home from the 2nd Page fly-in.  Roger Fane and I were flying home together so Roger could see that southern California could easily be avoided saving time and gas and in exchange gaining better scenery.

We both landed in Tonopah, winds 29 to 39 but aligned and we both landed with 15* flaps.

The argument on why that is preferable has to do with the range of speed in which you are vulnerable.  Vulnerable because  you have to little weight on the wheels and too little directional control due to excess speed.

When you fly it on with zero flaps you have landed but not yet slowed below this vulnerable speed where a gust can overcome your grip on the runway.  

When I land at the slowest safe speed I will simultaneously be slowing beyond the speed where even a typical gust can overcome my grip on the runway.

This Tonopah event resulted in 3 landings because I landed to get some tape on my radiator, I was freezing and Roger landed with me. After warming up I over taped my radiator and got hot before I reached pattern altitude so I got to land in the big winds twice in order to remove some tape.

Those that advocate the faster speeds usually fail to recognize that they still have to slow down through the range where control authority can be overcome by conditions.

I wouldn't be too worried about the landing with 15 flaps. It's the extra lift on rollout that concerns me. In this case, we have side by side test cases; we came in as a flight of two to the same runway in the same wind, within 30-60 seconds of each other. Both my landing and Bill's were accomplished safely and with no drama, so I'd say either flap setting is acceptable. Just a matter of style.

I would think going to -6 for the taxi would be smart no matter how you land.

Gulfport and Gulf Shores both good stops. Gulfport towered with two runways. Town is full of great seafood

Gulf Shores two runways. Lulu's one block from airport. Jimmy Buffet's sisters seafood restaurant

If weather clears I will be landing Gulfport Early Wednesday.

Safe travels. Greg

I wouldn't be too worried about the landing with 15 flaps. It's the extra lift on rollout that concerns me. In this case, we have side by side test cases; we came in as a flight of two to the same runway in the same wind, within 30-60 seconds of each other. Both my landing and Bill's were accomplished safely and with no drama, so I'd say either flap setting is acceptable. Just a matter of style.

I would think going to -6 for the taxi would be smart no matter how you land.

0 Flaps work  very well , on windy days, here in Florida. I get more directional stability and less ballooning. On calm or winds less than 10 knots I use 15.

Cheers

Gulf Shores two runways. Lulu's one block from airport. Jimmy Buffet's sisters seafood restaurant

I had a friend fly me down in his RV-? to meet Karen who was already there, and we did, in fact, eat at Lulu's.

I recall the food as being good, though Karen and I are both vegetarians and pretty easy to please!

Archived