Salmon, Idaho to Burlington, Vermont to Tucson, Arizona

rdeurloo

Hi Bob.  You flew over me when you went around Ann Arbor.  I keep my plane at KYIP (Yipsilanti - home of the B24 bomber plant) .  If I knew you were flying thru Detroit, I'd have recommended you call KDTW tower and request a transition of the airspace.   Detroit ATC is friendly and probably would have given you clearance.  It goes without saying that the welcome mat is always out for anyone that may be passing thru.  Believe I could fit a 2nd CT in my hangar if an overnite is needed.

I also own one of Mr. Thomas' planes - a white 2006 CTSW tail no. N9922Z.  I wasn't aware that he bought so many CT's.  He must have been a major customer of Tom Peghiny.  If you, or other members have any pictures of my plane during the time Mr. Thomas owned it, I would appreciate it if you could send them my way.  I have one where my plane and another CTSW are parked at a rocky and bushy site - maybe taken in Idaho?

Dick,

I landed in Plymouth, which is a nice little airport.  I'm familiar with your part of the country, as I've exhibited in the Ann Arbor Art Fair in July for the last 15 years.  My siser-in-law lives in Northville.  You live in some beautiful country.

I was only familiar with some of the Yellow CT's that Harold sold.  He was a dealer for Flight Design, and lived in Boise.  He had a ranch on the Milddle Fork of the Salmon River in the wilderness area, and the landing strip was a little hairy.  You had to go around a corner, and you couldn't see the strip, until you were right on it.  Also, no go-around.

If you send me the picture of your plane, maybe I can identify where it was taken.  Then again, maybe not.  Rocky and brushy sounds like Idaho.

Rich,

Leaving Saratoga Springs, NY, early in the morning, I was planning on stopping in Hazeton, PA  (HZL), but when I got there, it was covered by low clouds, so I flew on to Cumberland, MD

As far as flying across the lake, I didn't!  Two reasons;  I didn't want to fly through Detroit's airspace, and the lake directly south of Detroit is in Canada.  I flew west around Ann Arborm then south over Toledo, and again south of Cleveland to get to Ohio Regional, which was near my college buddy, who lives in Madison, OH

Looking at the flight plan I thought you caught the lower part of the lake. Eyes are the first to go :(. We were very interested in your flight. My wife enjoyed the photos also.

I'm still hoping to get to San Diego and return before our youngest moves back east. I have it mapped out, just need to do it. Planning diagonally across from PA to TX, then the southern route to SD. 

Anyone interested in a flight like that?

Rich,

My flight plan on ForeFlight did show a direct flight over Lane Erie, but in practice, I went the long way over land. 

The souther route to SD seems the most attractive to me.  The winds are usually strong in Oklahoma, and there are some high mountains in central New Mexico.  If you stop in the Tucson area, you have plenty of fellow CT pilots.  Marana is a nice airport, and if you do get through here, be sure an give me a call.  I will meet you at the airport, show you around, take you to lunch, whatever works for you.

Bob, if you're at Ann Arbor next year maybe we could meet.  As you know, it can be extremely hot and humid during the art fair so we haven't gone to this lately.  I belong to the EAA at Ann Arbor airport (KARB) and I'm sure you're aware it's right down State street from the fair.  I could pop over there from KYIP and we could go for a ride in my CT.  I'm currently traveling and when I return home I'll find the picture of my plane with Harold(?) standing by it.

I made 2 round trip flights to FDUSA in Connecticut last year and went South around Lake Erie and then thru Northern Pennsylvania.  I was amazed how rugged and remote the Allegheny mountain area was.  Really glad to have my BRS 'chute on board!  I flew South around Cleveland and when ceilings permitted over it on the various legs of my trips.  I80 turnpike runs thru this area and this might be a good IFR ("I Follow Roads") route?  Rich, you live out this way and this is a beautiful but rugged area

Rich,

My flight plan on ForeFlight did show a direct flight over Lane Erie, but in practice, I went the long way over land. 

The souther route to SD seems the most attractive to me.  The winds are usually strong in Oklahoma, and there are some high mountains in central New Mexico.  If you stop in the Tucson area, you have plenty of fellow CT pilots.  Marana is a nice airport, and if you do get through here, be sure an give me a call.  I will meet you at the airport, show you around, take you to lunch, whatever works for you.

It's very close to my intended route. Thanks for the invitation.

N456TS, yes, a lot of Ohio and Michigan fliers hop the Western Lake Erie islands.  Put-In-Bay island is a popular island to land at.  It has golf carts that can be rented to tour around the island.  It is a destination island for those who boat the Great Lakes ni the summer and gets very busy.  Other islands are Kelleys, Bass and Pelee.  Also here is Cedar Point amusement park.   Here's a link:  https://www.google.com/search?q=lake+erie+islands&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Port Clinton (Keller Field KPCW) is next to the islands on the mainland.  It has the new Liberty Air Museum which has a restored B25 and Ford Tri-motor & Avenger.  There is also a 72' long,47 ton 38kt WWII PT patrol boat undergoing extensive restoration there.

http://www.libertyaviationmuseum.org/z_728.html

Attached to the museum is a restored diner/restaurant moved from Pennsylvania.  Lots of summer events at this field.  It has a parking ramp to pull your plane into or a shuttle that will take you across the airfield to the museum if the ramp is full.

http://www.libertyaviationmuseum.org/

Here are two photos I found of my CTSW parked at an unknown location.  I'm thinking the gentleman standing by my plane in the background might be Mr. Thomas?  The information I have indicates Mr. Thomas received approval to remove the wheel pants and install small wheel covers. If someone might know where this picture might have been taken and who is in the photos, please let me know.

post-24-0-17373300-1446605090_thumb.jpgpost-24-0-80143200-1446605088_thumb.jpg

Another way to keep your feet dry is to go around Lake Erie on the north rather than the south. On our trip to the east coast last month, my wife and I spent a night at Mt. Pleasant, Michigan. The next day we headed east crossing Canada from Port Huron, Michigan to Niagara Falls, New York. This overflight, without landing, does not require passports, customs, airports of entry, eAPIS or even a flight plan. You just have to maintain radio contact and flight following while in Canadian airspace.

I was told I would receive a bill for air traffic control services from Transport Canada, but I haven't seen it yet.

Mike Koerner

Hi Mike.  My wife got her undergraduate degree from Central Michigan U. in Mt. Pleasant.  Did you come across Lake Michigan or go thru the Upper Peninsula and then across Michigan?  Or, did you come thru the bottom of Lake Michigan (Illinois and Indiana) and then up thru mid-Michigan?  About how long did it take you to get thru Canada and back into U.S., once you crossed the Michigan border going into Canada?

Another way to keep your feet dry is to go around Lake Erie on the north rather than the south. On our trip to the east coast last month, my wife and I spent a night at Mt. Pleasant, Michigan. The next day we headed east crossing Canada from Port Huron, Michigan to Niagara Falls, New York. This overflight, without landing, does not require passports, customs, airports of entry, eAPIS or even a flight plan. You just have to maintain radio contact and flight following while in Canadian airspace.

I was told I would receive a bill for air traffic control services from Transport Canada, but I haven't seen it yet.

Mike Koerner

Just as a point of information, this option is not legally available to Sport Pilots.  We can't operate in Canadian airspace at all, sadly.  In reality, if you don't land the Canadians have no idea if you are a PP or a SP, but if you had to land for some reason you might get in some hot water.

Dick,

We went across the Upper Peninsula and came down from Mackinaw.

We were over Canada for an hour and 20 minutes between Port Huron and Niagara Falls.

Andy,

Thanks for the warning. I have a private license. I think the issue is that Canada does not have the equivalent to a Sport License and thus they don't recognize it. The Bahamas recognizes U.S. Sport Pilots anyway... and it's warmer there.

Mike Koerner

post-545-0-59204100-1446715403_thumb.png

I wish Canada would accommodate us. Our EAA chapter has a good relationship with the folks in the RAA in Winnipeg. I get to meet them at the International Peace Garden (S28) which straddles the border and there is no customs if you don't go north (or for them south).

I wonder what will happen if the 3rd class med goes away.

When I used to boat in the great lakes in the 1990s, when you arrived in Canada, you just had to call an 800 number for customs.  It was a five minute call.  I assume a lot has changed.  Today and flying....Do you have to fly to an international airport and go through all that? 

Archived