Wind Speed vs. Landing Difficulty

FlyingMonkey

Same thing.  Its a matter of geometry and where center of mass is,

If you land in wind shear similar to what Mammoth sees over the runway about 100 days a year even with perfect alignment you may lose it as you settle.

When I hit the shear all aligned and a result is a wing drop my reaction is to control and soften that drop with opposite rudder.  It feels like 'walking' it on where the first step is the dropped wing / gear contact, next step is re-alignment and third step is the other main coming down after alignment.  Using the rudder in this manner as well as wing dropping can mess with the alignment even if you are tracking the centerline.

I was talking more about landing in normal places, not the Twilight Zone you fly from where the wind changes 180° three times along one runway!   :giggle-3307:

• 4 weeks later...

I was talking more about landing in normal places, not the Twilight Zone you fly from where the wind changes 180° three times along one runway!   :giggle-3307:

The Twilight Zone even gets the big boys (big compared to LSA).

Looks like this Mirage made it through the worst of the shear and then lost it in the big crosswind.  Interesting how the plane always wants to depart the runway into the wind, it doesn't get blow downwind instead it weather-vanes.

post-6-0-97462900-1449325935_thumb.jpg

Archived