80 hrs on spark plugs

Rich

post-1004-0-35330300-1447790439_thumb.jpgAttached is a pic of the plugs removed after 80 hrs. using mogas 93 octane w/E-10.

Only mixed avgas when traveling with Decalin.

At least two of the plugs look like their running on the lean side. Over all, they're very clean with some of them having that sought after light brown tint.

Comments?

Look okay.

The only way to really tell is to run up to 4000+ rpm for a few 4-5 minutes then do an immediate shut down. Any idling will affect your color if idled very long. What are those gaps?  It does look from the picture that the gaps are a little wide. Should be between .023 and .027.

Close the gap on those plugs. The wider the gap, the hotter the spark. In turn, it increases plug wear and shifts the timing slightly (this is more of a problem for magneto driven systems).

Also, when taking photos, use the camera flash or put it under a "natural white" (5000k) or "daylight" (6500k) lamp. It will make it easier to see colors.

Rich: maybe your gap gauge is bad. Don't use the round disc ones, those are terrible, truely terrible. Innaccurate and can crack the center electrode.

You should be using feeler gauges, and a tool that lets you hook onto the ground electrode and bend it.

MrMorden: this is why you should always consult the mx manual no matter how trivial the task. Spark plug gap specs changed and were made smaller.

Rich: maybe your gap gauge is bad. Don't use the round disc ones, those are terrible, truely terrible. Innaccurate and can crack the center electrode.

You should be using feeler gauges, and a tool that lets you hook onto the ground electrode and bend it.

MrMorden: this is why you should always consult the mx manual no matter how trivial the task. Spark plug gap specs changed and were made smaller.

Anti,

I used the feeler gauge, not the disc.

Correction: I rechecked the time in the logbook and it was 88 hrs., not the 80 as originally posted. 

I usually don't make mistakes when gapping plugs but anything is possible. I won't rule it out here. The gap is a little wide, as Roger mentioned. Going from 025 to 030/035 in 88 hrs. is quite a jump.

.028 is too wide for this time of year. The limits are .023 to .027. Hot weather climate is a wide gap. The colder it is the narrower the gap. In the mild winter climate areas .025 is just fine. If you live in cold country then .023 and an engine heater would be your best investment. Rotax will even recommend .020 if you live and fly in those areas that are below zero on a regular basis. We usually recommend plugs at 75 hrs. regardless of fuel type. I know what the book says, but it is rarely followed. For plugs costing $2 each why would someone penny pinch.

Andy,

I would close them down to .025. 

.028 will only get wider.

.028 is too wide for this time of year. The limits are .023 to .027. The hot weather climate is for a wide gap. the colder i8t is the narrower the gap. In the mild winter climate areas .025 is just fine. If you live in cold country then .023 and an engine heater would be your best investment. Rotax will even recommend .020 if you live and fly in those areas that are below zero on a regular basis. We usually recommend plugs at 75 hrs. regardless of fuel trype. I know what the book says, but it is rarely followed. For plugs costing $2 each why would someone penny pinch.

Andy,

I would close them down to .025. 

.028 will only get wider.

Roger, Roger!  :D

Archived