Replacement Seat Belts

tfdixon

I know I have seen a few comments about the seat belts that come with the CT's  A few years back there was an accident that I know about where the a CT flipped over after hitting a rock while taxiing.  The pilot was not able to release his belts and had to cut them to get out.  Fortunately there were other pilots at the site and someone had a knife.  When I heard about this I thought about the fuel leaking out of the wings.  I know that when I purchased my CT I found the belts almost usless as they would not stay in position on my shoulders without putting a chest strap in place to keep them there. The belt guide loops on the top of the seat were pretty flimsy and would not hold up in a crash.   Also I found that the webbing lacked stiffmess and when tightened across my hips the belt tended to not hold shape and the edges rolled. This was not due to my physical shape!!!  I changed the belts and obtained a FD Approval # 080122 dated 01/22/08 for Scroth Safety Products Corp seat belts Model KARQ7D58,  I have a sailplane and have these belts in my glider.  The shoulder harnes stayes in place primarily because they hook into a twist buckle in the middle of the wearers body not multiple inches  outwards of the buckle as the FD belts do.  Additionallly, the hip part can be tightened and also stays in place.  The twist buckle allows release of all straps even when loaded to the manufacturer's full load limit, there is no binding. They are not inexpensive but to save your's and or your passenger's life.....I have no connection the Scroth financially or otherwise.  There are other aviation belts out there similar to these, I am just passing on what I have done.

Tom

Boise, ID

• 1 year later...

Lap belts should be snug on the hip bones and not the belly. On the belly during a crash can and will cause internal abdominal damage. Shoulder harnesses can be a tad looser, but should have something like a strap or whatever to keep them drawn towards the middle of the sternum and not falling off your shoulders. If you have the seatbelt across the pelvic bones then contact with the roof should be near impossible.

11 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Lap belts should be snug on the hip bones and not the belly. On the belly during a crash can and will cause internal abdominal damage. Shoulder harnesses can be a tad looser, but should have something like a strap or whatever to keep them drawn towards the middle of the sternum and not falling off your shoulders. If you have the seatbelt across the pelvic bones then contact with the roof should be near impossible.

I've seen far to many people strap in to the CT and cinch the shoulder harnesses before the lap belt pulling the lap belt to high. I always try to educate, but it often seems to fall on deaf ears.

I normally agree with Roger but not on this one. The factory belts will not stay tight and we all know it. Call Crow and order their belts. I have made two trips to Page with the Crow belts, that's two 47 hour round trips, with no issues.

I've posted on this before.  I replace the belts in my CTsw with a 5-point Crow system.  The anti-sub strap allows the occupant to tighten the shoulder harness without pulling the lap belt upwards.  My belts have the quick release rotary buckle.  I am very pleased with the upgrade.  Quality belts are also made by Hooker and probably by others, as well.  

BTW, my plane has experimental registration so I am permitted to modify without factory approval.  

No. The belts are quite thick so one  might have to loosen the attachment points to pass the belt through. You could get a different buckle but this one allow the addition of anti-submarine 5th point if desired.  They are definitely an improvement.

• 2 years later...

Archived