How are stacked lenticulars formed?

Ed Cesnalis

They are making babies...avert your eyes.

I'm guessing it happens where there are two layers of air close together in altitude that both have good moisture conditions for the formation, and that are both subject to the same mountain flow.

I don't know if you'd see this with two layers widely separated by altitude, since the airflow would dissipate with altitude, which is why they stack closely together.*

*  This is all a SWAG, I am not a meteorologist.  :D

The stacking has me stumped a bit.  The air in the lower lennie is cold and moist enough to condensate and the air in the upper lennie is as well while the air in between isn't???

I guess I need to see 2 distinct high speed undulations forming the lennies with an air space between that has too much heat, or too little moisture to condense.  I guess this airspace has less velocity.

The stacking has me stumped a bit.  The air in the lower lennie is cold and moist enough to condensate and the air in the upper lennie is as well while the air in between isn't???

I guess I need to see 2 distinct high speed undulations forming the lennies with an air space between that has too much heat, or too little moisture to condense.  I guess this airspace has less velocity.

Depending on the strength of the airflow and available moisture, the wave wind may yield several lenticular clouds piled on top of each other like plates. These stacks form due to stratification in the moisture levels in the air at high altitudes and usually contain no more than one or two clouds.

Archived